Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the verdict? Does PPF somewhat dull the look of the paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 06:17 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
Gloss meters? Jeez... just drive and enjoy the cars. The same people that say they can’t stomach bright colors are worried about how glossy their cars are?

Anyway, I did PPF my 992 front with Xpel and the reason was simple. When time to sell, I will remove the film and VIOLA! - a nice used 992 without nicks and chips in the paint...
The only reason I mention it because it would be an objective quantitative measurement to put the discussion to rest.
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:32 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I don't PPF any of my cars - if I get a nick or a chip I simply fill it in with touch-up paint and work with it until it is imperceptible - takes some time, but have gotten extremely good at it. What I don't like about PPF is that when it does get a nick - there is simply no way to repair it except replace. IMO a PPF nick looks way worse compared to a paint chip touched up correctly. PPF does have some orange peel effect to it also. Everyone's taste/opinion is different here.
I agree. I don't really understand the logic of PPF.
The paint is there to protect the metal. And the PPF is there to protect the paint. Is something needed to protect the PPF, and so on?
We keep our cars a very long time. Presently, my wife's car is 17 years-old, and mine is pushing 20, and these are cars we are keeping for the foreseable future. I'm not going to let the chips bother me. I'm not concerned about resale. (And does PPF make a difference in this regard?)
Eventually, the car will get old. I sold my last 911 (a 1987) one of the main reasons being that the paint overall was tired and needed a re-spray, a $6k investment I wasn't motivated to make. (The interior also showed the effects of two decades).
Can you remove the PPF on a several-year-old car without damaging the underlying paint? I'm doubtful.
It seems to me, IMO, it's an unnecessary affectation. The car is made to drive. We're getting our new car for European deliver; I intend to put as many miles as we can on it.

Last edited by garthg; 08-02-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:32 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

Back to the OP. I have full frontal PPF. So my front fenders are covered and my doors are not. Nobody can see amusement difference between the paint on the fenders and the paint on the doors.
The modern PPFs are impressive commas to the older ones.

Last edited by PCA1983; 08-02-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:03 PM
Ninja_Bum
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
The paint is there to protect the metal. And the PPF is there to protect the paint. Is something needed to protect the PPF, and so on?
We keep our cars a very long time. Presently, my wife's car is 17 years-old, and mine is pushing 20, and these are cars we are keeping for the foreseable future. I'm not going to let the chips bother me. I'm not concerned about resale. (And does PPF make a difference in this regard?)
Eventually, the car will get old. I sold my last 911 (a 1987) one of the main reasons being that the paint overall was tired and needed a re-spray, a $6k investment I wasn't motivated to make. (The interior also showed the effects of two decades).
Can you remove the PPF on a several-year-old car without damaging the underlying paint? I'm doubtful.
It seems to me, IMO, it's an unnecessary affectation. The car is made to drive. We're getting our new car for European deliver; I intend to put as many miles as we can on it.
I can pull off the PPF and put new film on if it's looking bad. You're not going to damage the paint unless it was already compromised or if you try and remove it using improper methods. I can't just pull the paint off and replace it with the same quality factory paint, though.

Resprays and paint chip repair will never have the same level of finish as the paint from Porsche. While it's okay if you're fine with the paint being exposed more and chipped up, it does seem a bit silly for people to say "I don't get the point" when it's easy to see the motivation of other people.

It's like wearing gear on a dirtbike, sure it gets messed up over time and gradually looks worse, and sure you can ride around with shorts on, but end of the day you can buy new pants and look new again and you can't just buy new skin. Some people are okay with scars and some try to avoid them. No viewpoint is wrong, it's just different preferences.

It does always make me cringe though when a lot of people insinuate that people who use PPF are just trophy polishers who only care about resale. It is possible for driving enthusiasts to also care for and appreciate their finishes. It's a really odd environment on these forums where traditionally people who are detail nuts and wax and polish their cars have always been broadly celebrated for the extreme level of care and effort they put in to their vehicles but with technology advancing further to PPF now people get accused of caring too much when they use it.

Last edited by Ninja_Bum; 08-02-2021 at 03:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ninja_Bum:
Go Bruins (08-02-2021), null (08-05-2021), slwong23 (08-02-2021), XPEL (08-05-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 03:27 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Ninja_Bum
Resprays and paint chip repair will never have the same level of finish as the paint from Porsche.
There's no reason a respray can't be just as good as the factory finish, in quality and appearance. Or better.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
c1pher (08-02-2021), garthg (08-03-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 03:55 PM
Ninja_Bum
Advanced

Originally Posted by aggie57
There's no reason a respray can't be just as good as the factory finish, in quality and appearance. Or better.
Unless you are having the car resprayed somewhere using the same materials, machines, body prep the factory uses it just won't. There are high end places that do good work but you're still not going to get a painter hand spraying panels to have the same uniformity the factory can.

If you're just talking about a bumper/hood respray they're going to have to do a good amount of blending especially if it's something like a pearl or tri-coat. The average joe isn't going to be able to tell if they do it right unless it's pointed out to them but the trained eye sure can.

I'm by no means saying factory paints are perfect cause they aren't either, but if you have two panels next to each other, one factory new and one sprayed by a paint shop at another location it's not going to be identical.

Last edited by Ninja_Bum; 08-02-2021 at 03:58 PM.
SBAD (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 04:03 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Unless you are having the car resprayed somewhere using the same materials, machines, body prep the factory uses it just won't. There are high end places that do good work but you're still not going to get a painter hand spraying panels to have the same uniformity the factory can.

If you're just talking about a bumper/hood respray they're going to have to do a good amount of blending especially if it's something like a pearl or tri-coat. The average joe isn't going to be able to tell if they do it right unless it's pointed out to them but the trained eye sure can.

I'm by no means saying factory paints are perfect cause they aren't either, but if you have two panels next to each other, one factory new and one sprayed by a paint shop at another location it's not going to be identical.
I've sprayed plenty of cars (and panels) over the years and worked with very capable people up to serious concourse winning level. You're right that it takes skill but a good operator can and should be able to get a factory level finish, even on metallic/pearl/tri-coat finishes.

I recall one time, as an example, I deducted points on a 70's Alfa because there was some orange peel on the finish on one panel. The owner pointed out that was intentional as it's the factory finish, and he was right.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:58 PM
Ninja_Bum
Advanced

I've sprayed plenty of cars (and panels) over the years and worked with very capable people up to serious concourse winning level. You're right that it takes skill but a good operator can and should be able to get a factory level finish, even on metallic/pearl/tri-coat finishes.

I recall one time, as an example, I deducted points on a 70's Alfa because there was some orange peel on the finish on one panel. The owner pointed out that was intentional as it's the factory finish, and he was right.
Gotta be a very small population of painters that are skilled enough where they are able to match a panel with no blending and have it just be perfect in look and depth of the paint, though, to the point it's highly unlikely you'll get that caliber of job most places. From my viewpoint it's better to do all you can to avoid putting yourself in that predicament in the first place.

That's a neat story though. Man had an eye for the details on that Alfa!
SBAD (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 05:18 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Gotta be a very small population of painters that are skilled enough where they are able to match a panel with no blending and have it just be perfect in look and depth of the paint, though, to the point it's highly unlikely you'll get that caliber of job most places. From my viewpoint it's better to do all you can to avoid putting yourself in that predicament in the first place.

That's a neat story though. Man had an eye for the details on that Alfa!
For sure . The guy who painted that Alfa ran a Mercedes factory certified panel shop for many years, he won a state level Mercedes Concours with an absolutely gorgeous 280SL that he rebuilt from a shell. He's passed now but just talking about him makes me smile, lovely guy.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:59 PM
Ninja_Bum
Advanced

For sure . The guy who painted that Alfa ran a Mercedes factory certified panel shop for many years, he won a state level Mercedes Concours with an absolutely gorgeous 280SL that he rebuilt from a shell. He's passed now but just talking about him makes me smile, lovely guy.
Blows my mind the kind of talent some people build up through years of hard work and dedication to their craft. Sounds like a neat fellow.
aggie57 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 07:19 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
Funny you bring this up because the answer is yes there actually is something to protect the PPF! Some people insist that you must ceramic coat the PPF for another $500+. Overkill IMO as the PPF itself seems to resist scratches very well and need minimal maintenance to look good.

I’m torn on this as I never really had PPF on my cars except my current M3 and, in California, it wasn’t really necessary. However since I moved to AZ, I’ve had all kinds of rocks and bugs and things pelt the heck out of the front end and roof of my car. I’ve also had to replace the windshield 2x in 3 yrs. I did run over a giant tire read on the fwy once that scratched the hell out of the PPF on the front bumper and completely dislodged the bottom grill. I cleaned the scuff marks and popped the lower grill back in p,ace and the front end looked completely fine. I am sure it would have been at least a $2K repair without the PPF.

Just found out that my 992 arrived today. I’m leaning more towards PPFing the whole car. Ultimately I think it depends on where you live and how much you drive.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:08 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Funny you bring this up because the answer is yes there actually is something to protect the PPF! Some people insist that you must ceramic coat the PPF for another $500+. Overkill IMO as the PPF itself seems to resist scratches very well and need minimal maintenance to look good.
Not to get into a debate whether PPF and/or ceramic are worth it, but to be clear, PPF and ceramic coatings are two very different things that serve very different purposes. Neither is meant to be a replacement or substitute of the other, however, they do complement each other well, which is why many (myself included) elect to do both. Ceramic coatings "protect" PPF as well as it protects paint - from UV, oxidization, light stains, makes for easier cleaning, etc, similar to a semi-permanent wax. Unlike PPF, it will not protect from light scratches, scuffs, or rock chips, etc. Doing both was a costly investment no doubt, but worth it IMO. YMMV.
XPEL (08-05-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 02:30 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 150 Posts

Here's a Pagani Zonda, in front of the Palace Hotel, St. Moritz Switzerland, with a lot of bugs on the nose. I don't know if it had PPF or not.
I'm sure there were Porsche there too, but they parked them in the back:

AlterZgo (08-03-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 03:41 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
Gloss meters? Jeez... just drive and enjoy the cars. The same people that say they can’t stomach bright colors are worried about how glossy their cars are?

Anyway, I did PPF my 992 front with Xpel and the reason was simple. When time to sell, I will remove the film and VIOLA! - a nice used 992 without nicks and chips in the paint...
Thank you for trusting XPEL!

Old 08-05-2021, 03:42 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Well said!

Quick Reply: What’s the verdict? Does PPF somewhat dull the look of the paint?