Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm goes off for no reason after I lock the doors and walk away.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021 | 01:17 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Default Alarm goes off for no reason after I lock the doors and walk away.

So for a couple of weeks now, I've noticed that my alarm will go off after I go down to my garage (I'm in a condo) and open the door/frunk and grab something, then re-lock it.. head up stairs, and I can hear the alarm..

This doesn't happen if I've been driving the car and lock it, then go up... only if I go down and unlock / re-lock and head up... happens like 95% of the time...

Thoughts?

Top Answer

12-05-2021, 10:05 AM
achilleas101
Racer

So i came across an old thread in this forum here: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1207...the-alarm.html

A guy there mentioned having something plugged into your ODBII port. and it hit me- i have an OBDII device for my car insurance plugged in. I put it in there from the moment i took delivery. I unplugged it after test driving last night, and the alarm didn't trigger. tried again this morning, no alarm. Could this actually be it???!??!?!?! The communication with the ODBII is triggering something in the alarm's functionality? i'm going to keep testing it today to see if it will still work. This has been such as souring experience to what should have been a thrilling weekend getting my car finally. I hope this isn't false hope for me. :-)
Old 07-25-2021 | 04:00 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

I had the same issue. The alarm goes off when the car sleeps and fully arms itself. It detects something is open. The unlock and relock accepts that state and allows you to lock the car while disabling the alarm. After $4500 of changing battery and every sensor in the Cab roof (under warranty), they changed out a module that managed the cab operation. So on your coupe open the Porsche connect app and it should show you which, window, door or sunroof thinks its open when its actually closed. Then its either a sensor, potentiometer or control module that's gone bad.

Last edited by Hormazd Dalal; 07-25-2021 at 04:02 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Hormazd Dalal:
992Sam (07-25-2021), aggie57 (07-25-2021), detansinn (07-25-2021), mikey94025 (07-25-2021), VarTheVar (05-23-2023)
Old 07-26-2021 | 12:09 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Mine kept going off randomly for what seemed like no particular reason. It turned out to be the Panic Button on my Key Fob. If anything, and I DO mean ANYTHING touched that red button at all . . . . Bingo! There goes the Alarm! Mostly it was just my house keys on the key ring when in my pocket.
So what I did was to use just a tiny bit of RTV Sealant on a Stainless Steel Washer (see below) and problem solved!

The following users liked this post:
992Sam (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021 | 12:16 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Mine kept going off randomly for what seemed like no particular reason. It turned out to be the Panic Button on my Key Fob. If anything, and I DO mean ANYTHING touched that red button at all . . . . Bingo! There goes the Alarm! Mostly it was just my house keys on the key ring when in my pocket.
So what I did was to use just a tiny bit of RTV Sealant on a Stainless Steel Washer (see below) and problem solved!
nice key ring. Have you been there?
Old 07-26-2021 | 12:27 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
nice key ring. Have you been there?
Unfortunately not. A friend at work, many years ago, was there and brought me the souvenir. I was rather engaged in a bit of road racing nonsense at the time and he thought I should pay it a visit. Someday, maybe. My better half has to retire from her professorship gig before we can take some extended vacations. This year maybe . . . . I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-26-2021 | 03:23 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Unfortunately not. A friend at work, many years ago, was there and brought me the souvenir. I was rather engaged in a bit of road racing nonsense at the time and he thought I should pay it a visit. Someday, maybe. My better half has to retire from her professorship gig before we can take some extended vacations. This year maybe . . . . I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Sadly that track has long since fallen into disrepair. We used to hold events there, the banked circuit was rough from the start and over time it became too bad to use. There’s a road circuit alongside it which predated the ‘dome’ and I believe outlived it to but I’m not sure if it’s used at all now. Certainly the clubs I belong to down there haven’t used it for many years.

Unfortunately Australia is closed to international travel as well; even as an Australian citizen I can’t get back there. I had travel booked in October but that was cancelled due to a reduction in the number of arrivals they’re allowing now. Looks like mid-2022 at least before that’ll change.
Old 07-26-2021 | 10:47 AM
rkdav
Advanced

I had a similar problem. Porsche Connect said it was the interior alarm sensor every time. So I took it to the dealer which confirmed the Porsche Connect analysis of what was triggering the alarm. They replaced that sensor which is integral with the whole overhead console. Still had the problem. Tried navigating the PCM to turn off the interior sensor but it resets to 'on' every time. Best thing I've found to do is hit the lock button on the fob twice in under two seconds (this is in the manual.) Problem solved but no idea what's actually causing the problem and would still like to get it fixed.
992Sam (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021 | 11:02 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hormazd Dalal
I had the same issue. The alarm goes off when the car sleeps and fully arms itself. It detects something is open. The unlock and relock accepts that state and allows you to lock the car while disabling the alarm. After $4500 of changing battery and every sensor in the Cab roof (under warranty), they changed out a module that managed the cab operation. So on your coupe open the Porsche connect app and it should show you which, window, door or sunroof thinks its open when its actually closed. Then its either a sensor, potentiometer or control module that's gone bad.
I don't see where that is on the Connect app...?

Is that something that happens after I get the notice of an alarm going off only? or is that always available for prior alarms in some sort of log?
Old 07-26-2021 | 01:50 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Originally Posted by 992Sam

Is that something that happens after I get the notice of an alarm going off only? or is that always available for prior alarms in some sort of log?
sorry if I wasn't more clear. The app should tell you what is opened and closed. Mine provides open close status for both doors, each of 4 windows, the frunk and the roof. It could be any of those or numerous sensors for interior monitoring.

Last edited by Hormazd Dalal; 07-26-2021 at 08:59 PM.
992Sam (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021 | 04:38 PM
rkdav
Advanced

Mine has a log that goes back about a half dozen events.

Here's how you get to it: With the Porsche Connect app open and your car selected, on the lower right side of the screen, tap My Account. The first line is History. Tap that. You'll see all the alarms across the top of that page underneath the picture of the car. Scroll all the way to the right to Car Alarm. Tap that. There's your history of the alarms the car has registered for about the past half dozen events.
The following 2 users liked this post by rkdav:
992Sam (07-26-2021), mikey94025 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-26-2021 | 04:51 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

He's actually referring to the Car Connect app, which is a totally different app.
Old 07-26-2021 | 06:27 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

I found it.. appears to be the interior alarm... so will the dealer know what to replace? or shall I give them a clue if someone here has had that issue and wants to share..
Old 07-26-2021 | 07:48 PM
rkdav
Advanced

My dealer replaced the interior alarm sensor that’s part of the overhead console. In fact the whole console was replaced. This did not solve the problem. When you go to your dealer if he has a different solution that works please let us know.
992Sam (07-26-2021)
Old 07-28-2021 | 08:00 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OliverK68
He's actually referring to the Car Connect app, which is a totally different app.
No, the Porsche Car Connect is the old one (I believe 2020 models and prior). For 2021 going forward it's simply Porsche Connect.

siberian
Old 07-28-2021 | 09:47 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
No, the Porsche Car Connect is the old one (I believe 2020 models and prior). For 2021 going forward it's simply Porsche Connect.
All 992, 2020 and onward, should use the new Porsche Connect app. It also works for my 2020 C2S.

Quick Reply: Alarm goes off for no reason after I lock the doors and walk away.