992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is anyone else frustrated at low speed driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 816 Likes on 435 Posts

I've only felt my car be jerky once, when someone else was driving it in sport. Other than that it feels like a really good DCT. In Normal, very smooth, in sport, sport + it holds gear and feels very similar to how a manual car would drive when the drivetrain is loaded up and RPM's are higher.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:50 PM
Arroqueno
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
Have you driven a car with a dual clutch transmission before, rather than a standard automatic? To me, what you're describing seems normal, but I came from a couple of DCT cars. My 335is was relatively smooth but my C63 with the 9 speed DCT was terribly jerky. The 911 is leagues better than the AMG and somewhat better than the BMW DCT, but no dual clutch can match the smoothness of a torque converter.

How long have you owned the car? You should be able to adjust your driving to mostly avoid the jerkiness, but it does take time and a concerted effort to learn what the car wants from you.

Do you notice the problem is significantly worse in Sport/Sport+ than Normal? In Normal mode, the PDK is allowed to "coast", disengaging the clutch when you lift off the throttle so the car doesn't engine brake. In S/S+, if I recall correctly, that is disabled for better responsiveness, which can contribute to the jerky feeling of a DCT
Hey, thanks for sharing that info!

No, I don't think I've ever driven a car with a DCT, now that I think about it. My previous car was an M8, but that had an 8sp automatic transmission. And thinking about the other cars I've driven, they've all been either automation transmissions or even CVTs in the case of my Outback.

I took at this JD Power article, which seems to describing what I'm experiencing.DCTs typically deliver good to excellent fuel economy versus other types of transmissions, but they do have a few downsides.
  • Some drivers might find the quick shifts with some DCTs to be abrupt and uncomfortable
  • When shifting between reverse and drive, a DCT can sometimes feel hesitant <— Don't do this often enough for it to notice, hah
  • A similar hesitation is sometimes evident during initial acceleration from a stop <— I really feel this
  • Dual-clutch transmissions are typically not as adept at creeping forward at extremely low speeds when at a stoplight or inching forward into a parking place <— I feel this, too
I tried to pay more attention during my drive in today and think that the jerkiness I feel is actually the 3rd to 2nd gear shift, not 2nd to 1st. But I'll need some more drive time to be sure.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:57 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,455 Likes on 520 Posts

delete

Last edited by remington; 01-12-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:49 AM
Arroqueno
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 52 Posts

After paying a bit more attention, I think I've identified the root of the jerkiness I'm experiencing: it's when the car is in Sport / Sport Plus mode and creeping along. At low speeds, the PDK seems to want to roll along at low RPMs in 2nd gear instead of downshifting to 1st. The car will creep along in 2nd gear at between 1-2k RPM and as my foot goes on and off the throttle to inch forward, that's when the jerky sensation is felt.

After reading up more about DCTs, this sounds pretty normal!

Quick Reply: is anyone else frustrated at low speed driving