is anyone else frustrated at low speed driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 03:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Be more aggressive with the throttle.

Or more precisely, more consistently aggressive with the throttle input.

Problem. Solved.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 07-16-2021 at 03:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (07-17-2021), detansinn (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 06:51 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

C2 here and tried to notice this on my drive to/from lunch today, no highways, drove in Sport mode the whole time and nothing... sure, a little too much gas and the car wants to go, but nothing out of the ordinary. I certainly don't think there is too much power for daily commuting and seem to be able to manage the throttle without it feeling too jumpy; but I know that subjective.... the wifey may think otherwise.
The following 3 users liked this post by slwong23:
detansinn (07-16-2021), dgtarga (07-16-2021), michael818 (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 11:23 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,233 Likes on 709 Posts

You bought a 911 because you want to GO. You're frustrated when you can't GO. Totally normal. I share your frustrations a lot. I get frustrated at nearly every car on the road.

Next time get a Turbo instead of the Carrera. Carrera can get annoying trying to slowly lug around the streets. In the Turbo you can still have fun cruising slower. Different PDK mapping.
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 12:20 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
You bought a 911 because you want to GO. You're frustrated when you can't GO. Totally normal. I share your frustrations a lot. I get frustrated at nearly every car on the road.

Next time get a Turbo instead of the Carrera. Carrera can get annoying trying to slowly lug around the streets. In the Turbo you can still have fun cruising slower. Different PDK mapping.
you don’t need to spend another $50k. Put the car in the right gear. If the drive mode isn’t doing what you want, adjust accordingly. Or adjust via the paddles manually.
if you want, you CAN spend another $50k, but you’ll still have this problem in Normal drive mode.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:48 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,233 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
you don’t need to spend another $50k. Put the car in the right gear. If the drive mode isn’t doing what you want, adjust accordingly. Or adjust via the paddles manually.
if you want, you CAN spend another $50k, but you’ll still have this problem in Normal drive mode.
There's no right and wrong answer. It's just my experience that the Turbo can actually be quite enjoyable in Normal mode while nanny driving. Both 992 and 991.

Either way, these cars love being on the open highway and on long winding roads. Congested city driving is a disservice. The ones who live away from the city, and in mountainous/backroad terrain are the lucky ones.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:56 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Interesting. I wonder if throttle mapping differs as well.

I am not a fan of the throttle or PDK mapping in Sport+ on the C2S. The PDK in Sport+ not particularly useful for street driving and the throttle is very linear, almost boring.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:56 AM
Victor C3
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by michael818
Driving an MT becomes more muscle memory than thought and physical coordination. Like most repetitive tasks they simply become second nature. I drove MT cars for over 40 years and while I will agree that they can keep you more engaged I don’t think there was much exercise for my brain or more physical coordination than walking and chewing gum at the same time. Shifting became natural and didn’t take much thought. If you’re exercising your brain to shift a car you may be doing it wrong.
I’ll second that.

I’ve played the piano quite seriously for more than 30 years and be gotten quite good at it. I can roll through any number of Rachmaninoff or Liszt pieces in auto pilot without giving my fingers the slightest bit of thought. To me, it’s just as effortless as using the third pedal and a manual tranny.

It’s quite remarkable what we can train our brains and bodies to do.
The following users liked this post:
rouxeny (01-19-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 11:24 PM
Arroqueno
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 52 Posts

Bumping this thread to avoid creating a new thread.

I'm in a 992 GTS (PDK) and noticing that the car is noticeablyjerky at slow speeds in all drive modes. I've never felt this in any car before, including the BMW M8 I'm coming from.

Now, once you get above 30-40mph, the car comes to life magnificently. But when I'm starting/stopping or even cruising along at slow speeds, the car jerks around. It feels like my motorcycle lugging around at low speeds when the clutch isn't pulled in — and just like my motorcycle, it's not a nice feeling.

Is this normal, or do I need to get my engine checked out? My car has a bit of an odd history, which is contributing to my general wariness.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:50 PM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I haven’t had a problem and I daily drive. I’ll usually just manually paddle downshift to get into gear if I want to go quick without a kickdown delay. Works fine.
yup this exactly... paddle shift is fun at lower speeds to enjoy rev's etc. may hurt fuel eco alot tho.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:52 PM
SWxSec
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Arroqueno

I'm in a 992 GTS (PDK) and noticing that the car is noticeablyjerky at slow speeds in all drive modes. I've never felt this in any car before, including the BMW M8 I'm coming from.

Now, once you get above 30-40mph, the car comes to life magnificently. But when I'm starting/stopping or even cruising along at slow speeds, the car jerks around. It feels like my motorcycle lugging around at low speeds when the clutch isn't pulled in — and just like my motorcycle, it's not a nice feeling.

Is this normal, or do I need to get my engine checked out? My car has a bit of an odd history, which is contributing to my general wariness.
Interesting. My TTS at low speeds is no rougher than my M5C. It’s expected that 2>1 shifts can be a bit rough. Is there a particular gear or speed transition where it’s most noticeable?
Old 01-12-2023, 12:34 AM
Arroqueno
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by devsecflops
Interesting. My TTS at low speeds is no rougher than my M5C. It’s expected that 2>1 shifts can be a bit rough. Is there a particular gear or speed transition where it’s most noticeable?
Hmm. I’m not sure. It just generally feels herky jerky at low speeds. Let me pay closer attention to the gear selection and post an update.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:43 AM
lemonorlime
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
When driving the 992 2C (PDK) in a spirited fashion it is a beast and is truly the most amazing car. I have however found that driving with traffic at 25, 35, even 45 miles an hour is very frustrating. The car even in sports mode always wants to upshift to minimize revs and then when the traffic picks up if you push gently there is an anemic acceleration and if you kick down harder it will often drop two gears and then want to take off - which clearly it cant. I find that driving very jerky and non fluid. I think that the problem is that it is just too much car for suburban driving and wonder what is the experience of those whose daily commute is mostly that sort of driving. I do tend to enjoy a spirited drive and I guess if that was not the case I would be happy with slow speed cruising in regular mode

Thankfully many of the roads I use are not congested and it is usually only in the last couple of miles of my trip home. I also tend to keep it in manual mode which gives me more control. Sports plus helps but you cant really keep it in sports plus at 35 miles an hour.
I understand where you're coming from. My car (C2S) is my first Porsche. Before that I used to drive mostly V8's and my first impression driving the Porsche was the same as yours. I've posted before asking about low-end torque improvement and ended up getting a tune from a very reputable company (and I'm very happy with the results), however the low-speed driving impressions remain bland. This can only be solved by a V8 with low-end torque or by driving full time manual (I have PDK, in traffic I switch to Sport mode and sometimes I keep it on Normal and go manual, on the highway it's mostly Normal). So there is no perfect solution to your problem, I think driving in manual makes the experience more dynamic.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:04 AM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

Bumping this thread to avoid creating a new thread. I'm in a 992 GTS (PDK) and noticing that the car is noticeably jerky at slow speeds in all drive modes. I've never felt this in any car before, including the BMW M8 I'm coming from. Now, once you get above 30-40mph, the car comes to life magnificently. But when I'm starting/stopping or even cruising along at slow speeds, the car jerks around. It feels like my motorcycle lugging around at low speeds when the clutch isn't pulled in — and just like my motorcycle, it's not a nice feeling. Is this normal, or do I need to get my engine checked out? My car has a bit of an odd history, which is contributing to my general wariness.
Mine is a 2023 C4 GTS with PDK, and when I'm in Sport Mode and stop and go traffic, I experience the same thing you do. However, switching to Normal Mode and shutting off that infernal engine-start-stop feature gets rid of 90% of the jerkyness except for the 2nd to 1st gear downshift as others have mentioned. Next time I'm in slow traffic like that, I'm going to try Manual Shifting and see what happens.

P.s. I just recently got the car and only have about 850 miles on it for a reference. Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:41 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,442 Likes on 698 Posts

I have a stick, but when I test drove the 992 at the dealership, they only had a PDK. The thing I most remembered about the test drive was that the revs kept on bouncing up and down on the tach. I did not go fast during the test drive. I walked away very unimpressed, and said to myself this car needs a stick.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:58 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

Have you driven a car with a dual clutch transmission before, rather than a standard automatic? To me, what you're describing seems normal, but I came from a couple of DCT cars. My 335is was relatively smooth but my C63 with the 9 speed DCT was terribly jerky. The 911 is leagues better than the AMG and somewhat better than the BMW DCT, but no dual clutch can match the smoothness of a torque converter.

How long have you owned the car? You should be able to adjust your driving to mostly avoid the jerkiness, but it does take time and a concerted effort to learn what the car wants from you.

Do you notice the problem is significantly worse in Sport/Sport+ than Normal? In Normal mode, the PDK is allowed to "coast", disengaging the clutch when you lift off the throttle so the car doesn't engine brake. In S/S+, if I recall correctly, that is disabled for better responsiveness, which can contribute to the jerky feeling of a DCT

Quick Reply: is anyone else frustrated at low speed driving