Sponsored by:

R&T: California to test ECUs

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 03:48 PM
Skarz
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
Well, hate to be the one to call a spade a spade... but you might have been the one to point out what you've read in the media about CA based on the topic of the thread, and then went out on a rant about how much you know about tuning and the "intricacies" of the OB2 port. And then when called out by a couple here, you backpedaled and still acted like you knew more, and concluded with homeless pictures you found on the internet. Please don't act like a victim.

Agree - He is what one might call a s—t stirrer”. Seems to do so regularly on his forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skarz:
Carlo_Carrera (07-16-2021), slwong23 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 05:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Flash back to factory for smog shouldn’t be a big deal and I suspect will bypass this issue. I suspect CA won’t be doing forensics to assess prior tune history - I doubt they’ll have the expertise to do that for every make and model of car out there.

Even if they could tell the ECU has been flashed, who is to say that you didn’t decide to flash back to stock in order to be compliant with the law?
I think California will have a much simpler solution. After banning the installation or modification of any device or software that alters the stock ECU fueling, they will go after the companies doing it with massive fines to stop them. They could even go as far are requiring dealers to check for this during routine servicing, as there's precedent for stuff like that as well. Do some research about how they dealt with moto exhausts a decade ago and maybe Google Jesse James/CARB lawsuit and see what his company went through. Not only did CA ban the sale or parts/installation of non-compliant motorcycle exhausts, they even banned the shipment of those products into the State by any business. Any company that did it opened themselves up to some big fines. California won't only go after the user, they'll go after the dealer.

Honestly, I wish they would forget about this stuff and get serious about noise laws instead. Retards with open race pipes on street cars should be subject to impoundment and loss of their vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
slwong23 (07-16-2021), Tompoodie (07-18-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 09:18 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I think California will have a much simpler solution. After banning the installation or modification of any device or software that alters the stock ECU fueling, they will go after the companies doing it with massive fines to stop them. They could even go as far are requiring dealers to check for this during routine servicing, as there's precedent for stuff like that as well. Do some research about how they dealt with moto exhausts a decade ago and maybe Google Jesse James/CARB lawsuit and see what his company went through. Not only did CA ban the sale or parts/installation of non-compliant motorcycle exhausts, they even banned the shipment of those products into the State by any business. Any company that did it opened themselves up to some big fines. California won't only go after the user, they'll go after the dealer.

Honestly, I wish they would forget about this stuff and get serious about noise laws instead. Retards with open race pipes on street cars should be subject to impoundment and loss of their vehicle.
You could always just reflash before service.

Banning the sales of ECU mods, including remote flashes through a laptop, would probably do the trick. Enforcement could be tricky. Seems like a lot of work for a rounding error problem.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

You could always just reflash before service.

Banning the sales of ECU mods, including remote flashes through a laptop, would probably do the trick. Enforcement could be tricky. Seems like a lot of work for a rounding error problem.
CA will likely do the latter. But Porsche could also easily tell if the ECU has been flashed and reflashed.

And don’t be surprised if the penalty becomes similar to the two strike SMOG rule. Get caught and the car gets black balled and can’t ever be re-registered in CA. That would likely be risk enough to stop a lot of it.

Last edited by Archimedes; 07-16-2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:21 AM
MFC993
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

hey but the weather's great ...
Old 07-17-2021, 12:26 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Flash back to factory for smog shouldn’t be a big deal and I suspect will bypass this issue. I suspect CA won’t be doing forensics to assess prior tune history - I doubt they’ll have the expertise to do that for every make and model of car out there.

Even if they could tell the ECU has been flashed, who is to say that you didn’t decide to flash back to stock in order to be compliant with the law?
i’m not sure they’d even be allowed to penalize you for historical / overwritten tunes. Biden has signed on to a “right of repair”. It’s just an EO to formulate a regulation as opposed to an effective regulation, but it appears to be the way the wind is blowing.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:29 AM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I wouldn’t worry about them detecting a tune. That holds little interest to CARB in truth. Their real interest is detecting the lack of functional cats. That is easy to do without anything other than throttle blips while monitoring through the OBD port.

btw - cats are more than 98% efficient. That means if you delete them the pollution from your car is roughly 20x a stock car after factoring in all the normal usage where the air fuel ratio effectively deactivates them if they were present. I am no fan of CARB, but big power is possible while retaining clean running at normal cruise speeds so I don’t think this want is unreasonable. No matter what anybody says there are only two sets of emissions laws in the US, California and Federal. There usage by states is roughly 50-50
Old 07-17-2021, 09:47 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Maybe CA could direct this energy towards providing its citizens with enough power or lower its insane 13% state income tax rather than penalizing and black balling the minute percentage of people who tune a car. Absolutely ridiculous. Yet another Blue state authoritarian edict that is little more than a sad political statement.
We have a number of folks in our development who have joined the exodus out of that place and they can talk for hours about the nonsense that goes on there.

Last edited by phaser; 07-17-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:01 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
I wouldn’t worry about them detecting a tune. That holds little interest to CARB in truth. Their real interest is detecting the lack of functional cats. That is easy to do without anything other than throttle blips while monitoring through the OBD port.

btw - cats are more than 98% efficient. That means if you delete them the pollution from your car is roughly 20x a stock car after factoring in all the normal usage where the air fuel ratio effectively deactivates them if they were present. I am no fan of CARB, but big power is possible while retaining clean running at normal cruise speeds so I don’t think this want is unreasonable. No matter what anybody says there are only two sets of emissions laws in the US, California and Federal. There usage by states is roughly 50-50
100% in agreement with this post. You get it my friend.
Removing catalytic converters entirely from a vehicle is stupid hillbilly stuff that gains little to nothing but results in a horrible smelling vehicle. Many of the ricers around here do this and it is totally unacceptable.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:21 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

But you can run around in California with no brake pads, no problem.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:28 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Domer911
My favorite CA vibe is all the angst the ruling class seems to feel around "droughts." I mean, the majority of the state is desert, and every new development waters the grass, and uses resources not readily available, yet cries of "droughts" always...duh. Really? As a rule, we humans in the USA are the most arrogant crowd on the planet. We really think we matter. There's nothing we cannot fix, lol. Hey CA...the droughts were there first, haha!
Residential development is not really the biggest issue for water use. Eighty-percent of the water goes to agricultural use in CA.
The following 2 users liked this post by garthg:
Booth9999 (08-03-2021), peterdouglas (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 08:43 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MFC993
hey but the weather's great ...
Not always. Have you heard of the "June Gloom" in LA? San Francisco didn't top 69 degrees for the whole month of July.
The San Fernando Valley, and other inland valleys, can have long stretches of 100+ degrees.
Of course it is sunny a lot. And it hardly ever rains. Thus, there are few rivers and lakes outside of the mountains. And it's dry and dusty everywhere.
When it is sunny, you generally can't see the mountains, even though the smog is a lot better than it was decades ago.
The hills are brown, the forests are thin, and the fall simply doesn't compare to the East Coast. Oh, and the Santa Ana winds. . .hot blow torches from the desert, wonderful.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:10 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Relax my friend.

You don't even live in CA.

Let's keep it that way.

Enjoy Florida.

LMAO

Antidotal story: Neighbor, a Cuban immigrant, and regular visitor to Miami, asked me one day why I never visited Florida? I said why would I? I grew up in a city with, perhaps, the best year round weather in the Country. I lived a 3 block walk to one of the best beaches in the country, so why would I visit Florida? She said, oh ya, what city is that? I said San Diego. Coronado, to be exact. She tried to argue her point…and I quickly shut her down with a quote from a colleague of mine who spent, in his words, “12 years of heat and humidity torture” in Florida. He said, “you know how you can tell tourists in Florida, from residents”? The residents never go outside in the Summer, too hot and humid”.

Yeah, I’ll take Cal, any day of the week or month, over the flat and swampland of Florida. If it weren’t for all the OLD snowbirds from the North/NorthEast moving to Florida, I suspect there would be more mosquitos, than people. “I smell old people”…and I should know, I’m one of them.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-03-2021 at 11:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
txpackers (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 11:14 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I think he's pissed about your wine rant.

?

What is a “wine rant”?
Old 08-03-2021, 11:24 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by garthg
Not always. Have you heard of the "June Gloom" in LA? San Francisco didn't top 69 degrees for the whole month of July.
The San Fernando Valley, and other inland valleys, can have long stretches of 100+ degrees.
Of course it is sunny a lot. And it hardly ever rains. Thus, there are few rivers and lakes outside of the mountains. And it's dry and dusty everywhere.
When it is sunny, you generally can't see the mountains, even though the smog is a lot better than it was decades ago.
The hills are brown, the forests are thin, and the fall simply doesn't compare to the East Coast. Oh, and the Santa Ana winds. . .hot blow torches from the desert, wonderful.

As someone who grew up on SoCal (did you), “June gloom” is a real thing that happens a few day a week, primarily in June. It’s caused by a low pressure developing over the desert (and interior portions of Cal) that pull in cooler, moister air from the ocean. 9 times out of 10, the low clouds that moderate coastal temps, “burn off” by early afternoon. IMO, thank God for June gloom, it keeps the coastal areas of cal at moderate temps…while still getting sun in the afternoons.

Oh, and the fall in the mountains of California are not as spectacular, for color, because Ca doesn’t have the disciduous forests that much of the east coast has…but cal has the mountains, real mountains, which offer other, year round (not just in the Fall) spectacular views. What’s the closest thing to Yosemite, or the Redwood Forests, in terms of shear magnitude and splendor, that ma has? Anything?

PS - I went to school @MIT, so got to experience Mass Winter’s, too. Yeah, loads of fun. I liked both coasts. Each has a different attribute. But never ceases to amaze me how some people, from far lesser states, seem to try and pull down California. Economically, the revenue/taxes from California, help support many other states. California has it’s problems, but name one state that doesn’t…especial in a state as big and as diverse as California.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-03-2021 at 11:40 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
aggie57 (08-03-2021), Bluehighways (08-03-2021), F355bob (08-23-2021), peterdouglas (08-03-2021)

Quick Reply: R&T: California to test ECUs