Sponsored by:

Leave Wrap Defect or Risk Repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 08:28 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I think this whole “protecting your paint” at all cost is crazy. At least it is to me. I do what I can to minimize damage, but then I move on. Case in point -

Within 3 weeks of having my car wrapped (Xpel), I noticed a small rock had penetrated the Xpel film in the front bumper. I confirmed that it was a rock ding, and not an air bubble, with the guy who installed the wrap. He said, if I wanted, he would replace the section with the rock ding, but suggested I wait about a year when I have a few more to make it worthwhile. Didn’t want to come across as an expectant father to be, so I said, sure, I can wait. He said especially after a few track event, I will notice blemishes in the wrap. So rather than being obsessive and replacing the wrap after every small ding, I took his advice. Now, 6 weeks later, I don’t even think about it (I would be the ONLY one to care or notice).

It’s a car, and cars that are driven will experience some road-inflicted damage. just is.
As I said before in previous posts, just simply caring for the paint and addressing small chips as they occur has worked well for me. Not having a wrap hasn’t impacted a sale or value nor has anyone said “ I can’t buy your car because it’s not wrapped”. Typically they say, damn this car still looks new.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:40 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 95 Posts

Fwiw I have heard the same warning from reputable installers. Is it likely? No. Is it possible? Sure. So in the off chance it happens, their *** is covered.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:10 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
As I said before in previous posts, just simply caring for the paint and addressing small chips as they occur has worked well for me. Not having a wrap hasn’t impacted a sale or value nor has anyone said “ I can’t buy your car because it’s not wrapped”. Typically they say, damn this car still looks new.
I don’t follow your posts. Sorry. If it works for you, then cool.

That said, I’ve never wrapped a car before this 992...and always got “top dollar” in a private sale. I’ve sold, maybe, about 10 cars in my lifetime. I’ve found that most buyers care that it’s has: a clean car fax, not trashed, inside and out, leather is in good shape, paint isn’t fading or peeling, various desirable options...and the all important low mileage. If all those criteria pass the sniff test of potential buyers, most that I have sold to understand that a used car is gonna have various stone chips. If it helps sell the car quicker, or helps recoup the $3K-$4K invested in the wrap, then it’s money well spent...but I don’t have that experience.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:21 AM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

You'll be fine have him do it. He's just saying that to get you to think it's a huge risk and not worth redoing. You'll be fine, I'd get it fixed.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:48 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

I think I’d be inclined to spend more time looking through the front windscreen than gazing on the front fender - the more time we spend fretting over defects, the bigger they become 😳
Old 07-05-2021, 08:48 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

Dealer wanted almost $4k to do just the front. If I did have it done, that seems like highway robbery.

Quick Reply: Leave Wrap Defect or Risk Repaint?