Sponsored by:

PDLS+ - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 08:19 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Read this information from Porsche Fremont and make your own determination, auto high beams and cornering lights at intersections don't seem worthy of the price of admission to me.

How Does the Porsche Dynamic Light System Work?

PDLS increases safety when driving and enhances near-field, lateral, and far-field illumination by adjusting the range of the dipped beam according to driving speed. Additionally, the dynamic cornering light function rotates the main headlights towards the inside of a road’s curve based on the driver’s speed and steering angle. Static cornering lights turn on the auxiliary headlights for clearer visibility on tight, turning roads.

What is the Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)?

What is the difference between PDLS and PDLS Plus? Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus has two added functions. First, at speeds higher than about 40 mph, the dynamic main beam will turn on and detect oncoming traffic and vehicles in front of you. The light cone’s intensity and range are adjusted depending on the surroundings. Secondly, Intersection Assistant turns on the electronic cornering lights to adjust the broadness and length of the light cones, which increases the visibility of the vehicle’s surroundings.
I guess to each their own. But I think it's a tremendous benefit to get PDLS+. And a few searches on this forum have many people singing its praises.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:42 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Read this information from Porsche Fremont.
Or read the same info I posted from their site several posts above….
The following users liked this post:
Scott P (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 08:24 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyboss
I agree, but they don't (at least in my car).
If you think they don’t, take your car to the dealer.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:53 PM
rolling porsche
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you retrofit one of them?
Old 10-28-2021, 08:34 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 137 Posts

I have the Matrix lights (hoping someday they get activated) and they do nothing (or a very poor job) for lighting up corners when turning. Wish I had the PDLS+ at this point regardless of cost.

They do step up to high beams in a interesting way (almost in stages) but otherwise I’d expect PDLS+ is more functional overall.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:49 AM
funkyboss
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mferris
I have the Matrix lights (hoping someday they get activated) and they do nothing (or a very poor job) for lighting up corners when turning. Wish I had the PDLS+ at this point regardless of cost.

They do step up to high beams in a interesting way (almost in stages) but otherwise I’d expect PDLS+ is more functional overall.
Exactly. At the dealership service center now and they’re telling me the swivel/cornering lights on the 992 are basically imperceptible, even on a track. (I don’t see the point of a lighting feature that is not perceptible.) He said the Cayenne is very noticeable even when parked and turning the wheel. I’m having them double check the feature anyway but sounds like this is working (or not) as intended. I feel hoodwinked to say the least. Attaching description from configurator for reference.

Old 11-01-2021, 11:54 AM
funkyboss
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mferris

@mferris to be clear, the LED Matrix IS PDLS+ highest config. There is a PDLS+ below that does not have led matrix. Then there’s just standard PLDS. Source=configurator
Old 11-02-2021, 07:08 PM
fstezaws
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

My 992C2S with PDLS+ is ridiculously bright. My previous BMW M5 F90 had the best auto high-beams ever, and were incredibly bright, but the 992 is way brighter. It illuminates the sides more and often makes the street signs glaringly bright. It's nuts how bright these are.

The auto on/off for the high beams isn't accurate enough, though. My BMW did it better (better timing, and more accurately), but they're both way better than my tesla model 3.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:17 AM
992.S
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fstezaws
My 992C2S with PDLS+ is ridiculously bright. My previous BMW M5 F90 had the best auto high-beams ever, and were incredibly bright, but the 992 is way brighter. It illuminates the sides more and often makes the street signs glaringly bright. It's nuts how bright these are.

The auto on/off for the high beams isn't accurate enough, though. My BMW did it better (better timing, and more accurately), but they're both way better than my tesla model 3.
Are you referring to the 8IS option?
PDLS+ but not the matrix LED.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:24 AM
fstezaws
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I did not have the matrix option. Just PDLS+.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:24 AM
adm63
Pro

Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts

I am really glad I added the PDLS+ non matrix option when specing my car. They are the best headlights I have experienced. I'm sure fully activated matrix is on another level but I wasnt interested in purchasing with the hope of activation later.
The following users liked this post:
TempeAndy (12-25-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 11:42 AM
992.S
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adm63
I am really glad I added the PDLS+ non matrix option when specing my car. They are the best headlights I have experienced. I'm sure fully activated matrix is on another level but I wasnt interested in purchasing with the hope of activation later.
Awesome, very reassuring feedback!

Originally Posted by fstezaws
I did not have the matrix option. Just PDLS+.
Got you! I will add this to my build - still a few weeks away from the cut-off. Thanks for the clarity.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:43 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 195 Posts

The + allows the lights to swing in the direction of your steering input. The Matrix option is the Euro lights, less the software. They can be reprogrammed and the guy at 9xx.com offers the service ... $700 in his Atlanta shop.
The following 2 users liked this post by F8Driver:
curtdragon (12-28-2023), HOTCHKIS (12-22-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 04:01 PM
curtdragon
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F8Driver
The + allows the lights to swing in the direction of your steering input. The Matrix option is the Euro lights, less the software. They can be reprogrammed and the guy at 9xx.com offers the service ... $700 in his Atlanta shop.
Came here for this specifically, are you saying if you get the matrix LEDs you just need some coding on the US models and it will work like Euro or are you saying we need to buy Euro spec lights and coding?
Old 12-28-2023, 04:16 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

I have standard lights in my 992 and PDLS+ in my Macan. The standard lights in the 992 are amazing and I don't see the point of spending up to $5k to upgrade them.

Quick Reply: PDLS+ - Worth it?