PCCB or not to be

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 02:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
All this talk about the superiority of PCCB performance. Outside of tracking and less brake fade in that setting, I don’t get it. In fact, stopping distances are no less and actually the opposite based on Car and Driver reviews of various 992s. As to brake feel, that is subjective - an issue for some, not for others.
Two words.

Unsprung weight.

Actually three.

Reduced unsprung weight.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
JDeRose (06-29-2021), Stevelev (06-29-2021), wail junkie (06-29-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 02:49 PM
Nshirvanian
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Two words.

Unsprung weight.

Actually three.

Reduced unsprung weight.
This. Interesting to see most commenting about brake dust rather than the performance gains of PCCB. For me, no brainer will be ordering with PCCB.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:33 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

All this talk about the superiority of PCCB performance. Outside of tracking and less brake fade in that setting, I don’t get it. In fact, stopping distances are no less and actually the opposite based on Car and Driver reviews of various 992s. As to brake feel, that is subjective - an issue for some, not for others.
For me, it's the feel. With PCCBs you can meter out incredible and immediate power, very precisely. The brakes allow this without being grabby or having a wooden feel or no modulation. The net result is that you can brake later in corners and there is no fade. It changes the way the car drives, as a whole. It elevates the entire package - the car feels like a higher performance machine.

Subjective? Sure. But so is a lot of what we like about these cars. PCCB vs Iron may or may not be faster on a track. I haven't done an A-B comparison and doubt that I'm good enough to exploit the advantages of PCCBs to prove the difference. On a street driven car, though, I'm not as concerned about lap times.

Porsche probably has some of the best EPS on the market, in terms of feel. Doesn't mean it necessarily makes the car faster. But it does make the car more enjoyable to drive. For me, it's the same deal with the brakes. Worth the money? When you add in the looks and the fact that you never have to clean them - it's a no brainer for me. YMMV.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
RacingBrake (07-02-2021), SBAD (06-28-2021), smiles11 (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 03:49 PM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
For me, it's the feel. With PCCBs you can meter out incredible and immediate power, very precisely. The brakes allow this without being grabby or having a wooden feel or no modulation. The net result is that you can brake later in corners and there is no fade. It changes the way the car drives, as a whole. It elevates the entire package - the car feels like a higher performance machine.

Subjective? Sure. But so is a lot of what we like about these cars. PCCB vs Iron may or may not be faster on a track. I haven't done an A-B comparison and doubt that I'm good enough to exploit the advantages of PCCBs to prove the difference. On a street driven car, though, I'm not as concerned about lap times.

Porsche probably has some of the best EPS on the market, in terms of feel. Doesn't mean it necessarily makes the car faster. But it does make the car more enjoyable to drive. For me, it's the same deal with the brakes. Worth the money? When you add in the looks and the fact that you never have to clean them - it's a no brainer for me. YMMV.
I've specced a base on the configurator with PCCB and it comes to roughly the same price as an S with standard brakes. Would you take the base PCCB car over the S with standard brakes? The answer doesn't directly apply to me, as I'm likely going with MT, but would help me think about how much you value the PCCB.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:01 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by SF_
I've specced a base on the configurator with PCCB and it comes to roughly the same price as an S with standard brakes. Would you take the base PCCB car over the S with standard brakes? The answer doesn't directly apply to me, as I'm likely going with MT, but would help me think about how much you value the PCCB.
That’s a great question. I’ve never driven a base, so there is no way for me to answer it honestly.

I will say this — if I was building a new C2S and was told to only pick one option on an otherwise bone stock car…it would be PCCB.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
djlynch (06-28-2021), iliveoncaffiene (06-28-2021), nolanick (01-16-2023)
Old 06-28-2021, 05:46 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Two words.

Unsprung weight.

Actually three.

Reduced unsprung weight.
Yes, that would be a legitimate technical advantage, but again my speculation is that it would only be noticed on the track. In addition, if it were a major difference, suspension modifications (spring rates, damping, etc) would be warranted to take advantage of such weight improvements. Yet, I believe Porsche does not change anything when PCCB is specified. On the street, I doubt anyone can tell the difference. Then again, there are some very sensitive butts around this forum...
Old 06-28-2021, 07:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Yes, that would be a legitimate technical advantage, but again my speculation is that it would only be noticed on the track. In addition, if it were a major difference, suspension modifications (spring rates, damping, etc) would be warranted to take advantage of such weight improvements. Yet, I believe Porsche does not change anything when PCCB is specified. On the street, I doubt anyone can tell the difference. Then again, there are some very sensitive butts around this forum...
The same way people say they can tell the difference in HP between the base and S (~60 HP) for daily driving, then the same people should be able to definitely feel the difference in unsprung weight from the PCCBs versus the OEM irons.

And, no, you need to adjust suspension settings when swapping out irons for carbon ceramic brakes.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:39 AM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
That’s a great question. I’ve never driven a base, so there is no way for me to answer it honestly.

I will say this — if I was building a new C2S and was told to only pick one option on an otherwise bone stock car…it would be PCCB.
I was afraid you'd say that!
Old 06-29-2021, 10:40 AM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 456 Likes on 259 Posts

I dont think you will find many people say they regret getting the PCCB. Get them!
The following users liked this post:
RacingBrake (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 12:37 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Nothing here about brake feel or unsprung weight. Bottom line, $9K to look cool and keep your wheels clean. So a very personal choice.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/24/...r-race-tracks/
sexfiend (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 12:44 PM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 177 Posts

Nothing here about brake feel or unsprung weight. Bottom line, $9K to look cool and keep your wheels clean. So a very personal choice.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/24/...r-race-tracks/
I see they used the fastest color in this article. :-)
SBAD (06-30-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 01:42 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

This CCM rotor kit is specially developed for 991 GT3/Turbo upgrading from Red calipers w/iron rotors to the latest CCM brake technology.
  • 100% Bolt-On installation, easier to install than replacing stock iron rotors due to lighter weight.
  • RB discs are made with Gen 4 CCM technology; with long (continuous) carbon fibers and angle vanes.
  • RB CCM rotors are stronger and can run cooler than OE pccb.
  • CCM rotors (Brembo, ST or RB) have "Diamond hard" surface with excellent "Thermal Stability" so they will NEVER Wear*, Warp, or Crack (due to the heat). More advantageous for tracking/racing.
  • Rotor annulus are wide enough to fit Pccb pads (74mm vs. iron's 62mm in depth) for lower braking temperature.
  • Runs on street or tracks w/o temperature (cold or hot weather), or water (rain or car wash) effect.
  • Never rust, always looks like new.
  • Literally no brake dust.
  • Reduce unsprung weight.
  • Improve driving comfort.
  • Inspiring braking confidence on tracks.
  • Substantial reduction on maintenance cost and downtime in pad and rotor replacements.
  • Save money than iron brake in the long run.
To determine a CCM rotor serviceability, we recommend visual inspection by monitoring the rotor surface, than weight measurement suggested by OE/Brembo, which can be misleading w/o factoring in the weight of braking debris deposited in the drilled holes.

*If a CCM rotor is frequently running over the threshold temperature, the carbon will start oxidizing (losing carbon) resulting "pitted" surface which would act like a super grinder that can quickly wear out a new set of pad in just a few laps.

Avoid:
  • Running rotor continuously above threshold temp @650F
  • Running brake pad below 1/3 of the lining material (~4mm)
*The only wear out item of a CCM brake system is likely only the brake pad, stick to above golden rule and you will then have an almost forever brake system.

Learn more about the different generation on CCM rotors.

Contrary to common belief (per old ccb some 20 years' ago), based on our recent track tests on two Mustang GT350, the advantage of CCM for track racing is even more than street driving in performance and durability (replacements).

Last edited by RacingBrake; 07-06-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:52 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Has anybody tried ceramic brake pads on stock iron rotors? I've done this on my current car that dusts like crazy and the ceramic brake pads cuts down at least 95% of the brake dust. In fact, I can easily go weeks or months and the rims just don't get dirty. I doubt they are as spotless as cars w/ PCCBs, but for the costs, it probably gives 80-90% of the cleanliness of PCCBs. Braking performance is totally fine and just as good as stock pads, but I don't track my car or anything so I can't attest to how well they perform under extreme pressure.

Here are some ceramic pads I found for the 992. Just curious if anybody has tried these:

https://flat6motorsports.com/collect...ds-992-carrera
https://flat6motorsports.com/collect...ds-992-carrera
Old 06-29-2021, 03:47 PM
rewardforsuccess
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

If you drive it a lot getting a stone stuck on the PCCB's will cost you massive massive money. Not worth the headache if you have a budget.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:31 PM
sionblue_992
4th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I opted for PCCB on my C2S and I definitely don't regret! The bite is incredible, even with low speed ranges such as coming up to a red light. The pedal feel is excellent, much more reliable feedback than coming from standard brakes. Expensive option but in terms of performance and up front cost savings (as opposed to an aftermarket conversion) it's one of the best options you could add. Clearly a personal choice, but I would rather spend the money on improving performance than on Burmeister or fancy leather bits.
smiles11 (06-29-2021)

Quick Reply: PCCB or not to be