Sponsored by:

PCM 6.0 upgrade on MY19-21

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 08:52 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
With all due respect, but does any of that have anything to do with driving? I mean you could install that in a VDub Beetle, not sure connecting your iPhone adds anything to a $160k+ vehicle. No offense, but...

siberian
Well, it does let us say 'Hey Siri' and get pretty much the same outcome as the new PCM system. On a more serious note, one advantage is your 'system', music, history etc. goes with you from car to car or from home to car. I don't have to wait till I'm in the car to know how long it's going to take to get somewhere, which in SoCal can vary quite a bit depending on traffic. Plus one interface in multiple cars.

So in that sense it allows you to enjoy the driving a bit more.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:40 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 416 Posts

On our current and previous cars with these screens it’s usually off when I’m the driver unless I’m using it for navigation. My wife on the other hand listens to country music just below speaker blowing level with the display on. First thing I do when using a car she has been in is hit mute as I’m starting the engine.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:13 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,356 Likes on 1,397 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Well, it does let us say 'Hey Siri' and get pretty much the same outcome as the new PCM system. On a more serious note, one advantage is your 'system', music, history etc. goes with you from car to car or from home to car. I don't have to wait till I'm in the car to know how long it's going to take to get somewhere, which in SoCal can vary quite a bit depending on traffic. Plus one interface in multiple cars.

So in that sense it allows you to enjoy the driving a bit more.
Just another way to track you whether by Apple or Porsche. You can listen to radio or TV before you leave the house, you can use Waze (if you have coverage) or the AM band (if you have an older car) in the vehicle to tell you about traffic conditions - and read what you are giving up when using these apps. Just nothing to do with driving, IMHO, which was the center of that wonderful discourse by senior P management.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 01-23-2022 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:16 PM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 133 Posts

Sorry wrong approach, wrong design and oh yeah, BRING BACK the AM radio band!

siberian
Just use your CarPlay with the IHeart app...and you can play all your favorite AM stations
Old 02-26-2023, 03:07 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yep, $160k+ car and ... of all the many stupid things they've improved over the 991 they remove (for those of us who need it) a major safety issue (AM band and road conditions - oh I forgot our local dealer only has one tech as folks don't drive their Porsche in the winter so we obviously don't need it). The weight savings are incalculable.

Let me know when your iHeart stops getting reception

Excellence is expected indeed...

siberian
Old 02-26-2023, 03:32 PM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtomtomtom
Just use your CarPlay with the IHeart app...and you can play all your favorite AM stations
we just bought a 21 c4s and I couldn’t figure out why no am. Is this really a thing. No am. Lol. I listen to our local sports talk through am. My 22 macan has it. Weird. Guess I have to stream it.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:24 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 810 Likes on 375 Posts

Not just Porsche: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/10/b...adio-cars.html
Old 02-26-2023, 04:33 PM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

AM is being dropped out of all electric cars and many others…I listen to 2 AM channels w/o any issues. CarPlay is every 992..if you get a phone signal, you can get IHeart…if you don’t have a signal, I doubt that you would get an AM channel even if the radio had it. So saying that it’s a big deal because Porsche dropped it makes no sense.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:25 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 810 Likes on 375 Posts

Wonder if they added it back to the Dakar to prove its bona fides. Not much 5G in the middle of the Sahara I reckon…
Old 02-26-2023, 06:02 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomtomtomtom
AM is being dropped out of all electric cars and many others…I listen to 2 AM channels w/o any issues. CarPlay is every 992..if you get a phone signal, you can get IHeart…if you don’t have a signal, I doubt that you would get an AM channel even if the radio had it. So saying that it’s a big deal because Porsche dropped it makes no sense.
You need a course on AM radio frequencies. ALL ROAD INFO IS ON AM FOR A REASON.

siberian
Old 02-26-2023, 06:34 PM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

No I don’t think so…some just don’t understand how to use CarPlay and feel that any reason other than their preconceived mind is wrong….sorry
Old 02-26-2023, 06:41 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OK let me try and explain it to you simply. If you do NOT get a signal on your phone, you don't get CarPlay or ANY Play (beyond BT and WiFi within the car of course). Can we agree on that?

Since you don't have a cell signal once you leave the "major" towns here, we rely on AM for Road Conditions (511) to let us know what's ahead. AM carries for miles beyond your cell towers (which are not present). So removing AM radio essentially for those of us not in cell phone coverage leaves us blind. And because other car manufacturers have removed it doesn't mean it's a wonderful idea. It isn't.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 02-27-2023 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mark S (02-26-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 11:39 PM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 55 Posts

OK let me try and explain it to you simply. If you do NOT get a signal on your phone, you don't get CarPlay or ANY Play (beyond BT and WiFi within the car of course). Can we agree on that?

Since you don't have a cell signal once you leave the "major" towns here, we rely on AM for Road Conditions (511) to let us know what's ahead. AM carries for miles beyond your cell towers (which are not present). So removing AM radio essentially for those of us not in cell phone coverage leaves us blind. And because other car manufacturers have removed it doesn't mean it's a wonderful idea. It isn't.

siberian
for you for sure I get why it sucks. I think it’s bad practice to not have in cars. Still think it’s funny Porsche put am in my 22 macan gts but not in my 21 c4s. Guess I just have to listen to the sounds of the 3.0
Old 02-28-2023, 12:41 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's one in a long list of stupidities they've "introduced" into the 992. Lack of seat belt height adjustment, lack of sprayer for rear wiper (I don't care if there's never been one, if that's the excuse it's one of the lamest I've heard because it's needed), the BMS nightmare, the HomeLink in PCM5 that takes 2 minutes to boot, the shaver, the inability to permanently disable ***, the lack of seat and steering wheel warmer setting memory... I could go on... but removing AM... that must have been a gigantic cost and weight savings.

siberian
Old 02-28-2023, 12:46 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

It's one in a long list of stupidities they've "introduced" into the 992. Lack of seat belt height adjustment, lack of sprayer for rear wiper (I don't care if there's never been one, if that's the excuse it's one of the lamest I've heard because it's needed), the BMS nightmare, the HomeLink in PCM5 that takes 2 minutes to boot, the shaver, the inability to permanently disable ***, the lack of seat and steering wheel warmer setting memory... I could go on... but removing AM... that must have been a gigantic cost and weight savings.

siberian
Boom, problem solved.

Amazon Amazon

But, you are on a roll so……………..

Quick Reply: PCM 6.0 upgrade on MY19-21