Sponsored by:

New infotainment system 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 03:38 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
But you responded (quoted) to someone, directly, who was critical of Tesla. So, “across the board”...? Maybe that was your intent, but when you quote someone, my thinking is you are directly responding to that person....and not “across the board”.
To the contrary, it was not my intent. But noted and will be more careful next time.

As to HUD...I’ve mentioned on many different threads, that Porsche needs to have heads up. Everyone that I’ve met that has it, absolutely loves it. Is it a deal breaker not to have HUD? Absolutely NOT. When Porsche re-did the interior for the 992, I think that was when they should have done it...logically and financially speaking. I also have a M4, and BMW has had it for quite some time. IMO, for a “driver’s car”, HUD is not a superfluous option. It definitely helps the driver keep their attention, their focus on the road....where it should be. As far as the other Tesla none sense of being able, or not, to play video games on the PCM...anyone that believes that is important, for a sports car like the 992, has got to be kidding. They clearly bought the wrong car if that is a priority for them.
Has there been any official line as to why no HUD? Or any insider knowledge? Love it on my BMW.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:47 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain P
To the contrary, it was not my intent. But noted and will be more careful next time.
It’s all cool. No problem.

Has there been any official line as to why no HUD? Or any insider knowledge? Love it on my BMW.
Not that I have heard or read about. I don’t think it could be a technology delay, since the technology is pretty mature. Cost? When has Porsche ever flinched when it comes to doing anything that would increase the cost...they would just pass it on to the consumer, and we would lap it up. My thoughts on this are...putting in a HUD takes up a fair amount of room into the dash. With Porsche’s 5 screens, perhaps there just wasn’t the room? I suspect if you looked below the dash, it’s pretty busy back there, already? Anyway, that’s only a guess? maybe they are saving it for the next upgrade release? Car manufacturers love to spread out/stagger the upgrades into the outlying years. Case in point, my 2016 M4 does not have all wheel drive. BMW recently released the M4 with all wheel drive. Since I use my M4 as my go to, around town regular car, used in all kinds of adverse weather...all wheel would have been nice to have. Now it’s available. Marketing ploy, or technology delayed option?? Who knows. But it is an incentive for me to (maybe) upgrade to the new M4?

People forget that there are often three driving forces that ultimately help shape the final, automotive product: (1) Finance/cost; (2) Manufacturing and (3) Engineering/technology. Having owned (CEO) my own high tech company, I know that while the “vision” of the company usually flowed from me, that vision often got derailed by practical matters, such as scheduling, cost and engineering/physics. I was told that things I wanted done were either too expensive, take too long to develop or beyond our capabilities (engineering or manufacturing wise). We don’t always get what we want, and life is a series of compromises.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-21-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:49 PM
GTS21
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain P
Ugh. Seriously why can’t we hold opinions and yet have healthy debates? Then agree to disagree or better yet learn from new information? Not a fan of having to be right. This thread just went downhill. I was really enjoying reading very informative and enlightening perspectives. I really wish we can find a way to make forums better.
100% agree
Old 06-21-2021, 04:11 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
It’s all cool. No problem.

Not that I have heard or read about. I don’t think it could be a technology delay, since the technology is pretty mature. Cost? When has Porsche ever flinched when it comes to doing anything that would increase the cost...they would just pass it on to the consumer, and we would lap it up. My thoughts on this are...putting in a HUD takes up a fair amount of room into the dash. With Porsche’s 5 screens, perhaps there just wasn’t the room? I suspect if you looked below the dash, it’s pretty busy back there, already? Anyway, that’s only a guess? maybe they are saving it for the next upgrade release? Car manufacturers love to spread out/stagger the upgrades into the outlying years. Case in point, my 2016 M4 does not have all wheel drive. BMW recently released the M4 with all wheel drive. Since I use my M4 as my go to, around town regular car, used in all kinds of adverse weather...all wheel would have been nice to have. Now it’s available. Marketing ploy, or technology delayed option?? Who knows. But it is an incentive for me to (maybe) upgrade to the new M4?

People forget that there are often three driving forces that ultimately help shape the final, automotive product: (1) Finance/cost; (2) Manufacturing and (3) Engineering/technology. Having owned (CEO) my own high tech company, I know that while the “vision” of the company usually flowed from me, that vision often got derailed by practical matters, such as scheduling, cost and engineering/physics. I was told that things I wanted done were either too expensive, take too long to develop or beyond our capabilities (engineering or manufacturing wise). We don’t always get what we want, and life is a series of compromises.
-HUD is available in the Cayenne. Porsche has the tech, but for some reason not in the 911. I wonder if it's a space issue also to fit in dash...
Old 06-21-2021, 04:51 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0
-HUD is available in the Cayenne. Porsche has the tech, but for some reason not in the 911. I wonder if it's a space issue also to fit in dash...
I suspect that’s part of the issue.

The other reason may be the unique geometry of the 911’s dash and windshield. Evidenced by the known issue of a distracting reflection with certain colors on the dash, and Sport Chrono clock reflections.

Porsches implementation of the HUD on the Cayenne occasionally creates a reflection. Not a big deal and it’s rarely mentioned. But I think in the 911 the problem may be exacerbated.

Or I’m wrong; and the real reason is maintaining purity and weight savings. 🤓
Old 06-21-2021, 06:00 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
I suspect that’s part of the issue.

The other reason may be the unique geometry of the 911’s dash and windshield. Evidenced by the known issue of a distracting reflection with certain colors on the dash, and Sport Chrono clock reflections.

Porsches implementation of the HUD on the Cayenne occasionally creates a reflection. Not a big deal and it’s rarely mentioned. But I think in the 911 the problem may be exacerbated.

Or I’m wrong; and the real reason is maintaining purity and weight savings. 🤓

Excellent point on possible reflection. My M4 has a minor reflection off the HUD mirror onto the front windshield...but the lighting has to be just so-to to see it, and minor.

But if it was weight savings, then they wouldn’t offer a glass sunroof...either no sunroof, carbon fiber or aluminum. Glass sunroofs add about 100+ lbs (or so I’ve read)...and right at the highest point of the car.

Quick Reply: New infotainment system 6.0