Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much will I miss Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 11:36 AM
love_my_porsche
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Newb question here then; You need Chrono for Sport + mode right? WIthout you only get normal, Sport and Wet? And if so @Tupper is there a big difference between Sport and Sport+?

Old 06-03-2021, 11:41 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 818 Posts

^ You do need Chrono for Sport+

I think there is a huge difference between S and S+

S+ keeps you downshifted, faster throttle response, minimal burbles and pops, etc.

When I’m ready for some serious, no nonsense action, or when I’m running from the cops, I’m always in S+ mode
Old 06-03-2021, 03:03 PM
politeperson
Racer

Received 478 Likes on 147 Posts

You wont miss it a bit. I have never ever had to press the "Sport" button". It is about as pointless on the 992 as it is on my BMW and Mercedes E class.

It does nothing apart from alter the downshifts on part throttle openings. On full throttle the car will give you full beans anyway.

The 911 changes its shift characteristics automatically with a PDK box dependent on a variety of factors including throttle position, inclination and lateral G. Its all down to your driving style.

At the blip of the throttle the car sets itself up for maximum performance without ever needing to press any of the buttons.

Put the car in normal mode, then drive like a racing driver. It will automatically change to Sport. No buttons required. Simple. Then relax. The car will go back to normal mode.

I have noticed the changes in the settings merely by creating large G's by cornering quickly. The 992 is very clever in adapting to your style.

The buttons are nothing but a marketing ploy.

You will not get launch control if your dont have Chrono. Don't worry though, you dont need it unless you like to go to the drag strip.

I find launch control on public roads just embarrassing. Just like my old Nissan GTR.

The following 2 users liked this post by politeperson:
Hawk12mn (02-21-2023), love_my_porsche (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 03:08 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 459 Likes on 260 Posts

OP, sounds like you had sport chrono previously and found no real use for its features so I think you answered your own question.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:18 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Don't all proper 992's come with sport chrono included ?
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 03:34 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by politeperson
It does nothing apart from alter the downshifts on part throttle openings.
It actually does quite a bit more than that, but I take your point about the car changing modes on it's own. In a PDK at least you'd notice the different shift map, ironically in a manual car you notice the other things like the different throttle map and the way other systems like the rev-drop on off-throttle changes.

Seems to me there is also some misunderstanding about the button in PDK cars as well. My reading is that all it does, at least on base and S cars, is change the transmission and engine to "maximum response". No overboost, hence why the button is not fitted to manual cars.
Tupper (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 05:21 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by politeperson
You wont miss it a bit. I have never ever had to press the "Sport" button". It is about as pointless on the 992 as it is on my BMW and Mercedes E class.

It does nothing apart from alter the downshifts on part throttle openings. On full throttle the car will give you full beans anyway.

The 911 changes its shift characteristics automatically with a PDK box dependent on a variety of factors including throttle position, inclination and lateral G. Its all down to your driving style.

At the blip of the throttle the car sets itself up for maximum performance without ever needing to press any of the buttons.

Put the car in normal mode, then drive like a racing driver. It will automatically change to Sport. No buttons required. Simple. Then relax. The car will go back to normal mode.

I have noticed the changes in the settings merely by creating large G's by cornering quickly. The 992 is very clever in adapting to your style.

The buttons are nothing but a marketing ploy.

You will not get launch control if your dont have Chrono. Don't worry though, you dont need it unless you like to go to the drag strip.

I find launch control on public roads just embarrassing. Just like my old Nissan GTR.
All completely true - I use the Sport button mainly as a quick way to prevent *** from operating if it's not displayed on screen!
love_my_porsche (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 05:37 PM
love_my_porsche
Advanced

Well it seems like I can put my question and my mind to rest on this. Thanks to everyone for their fantastic comments!

Just 2 more weeks and I can actually get in the beautiful beast :-)
The following 3 users liked this post by love_my_porsche:
aggie57 (06-03-2021), detansinn (06-03-2021), Stevelev (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:50 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevelev
Don't all proper 992's come with sport chrono included ?
No.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:55 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by phila12180
No.
if they have manual transmissions they do ... just sayin’
phila12180 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 10:16 PM
Victor C3
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

As has already been stated, if you just about never used it then you’ll probably not miss it.

I personally would never buy a modern Porsche without it. I almost always drive my car in sport mode and regularly dip into sport + on nearly every drive. I love stoplights on highways with 55 mph speed limits and on-ramps. It’s lots of fun making my kids scream at me!

However, it seems like at least half of the people I see in a sports car or an exotic are in a certain age bracket and just barely do even the speed limit. If you’re one of those drivers, you’ll never miss it. But I have to wonder, why would these people buy a Porsche, Ferrari, or Lambo in the first place?
Old 06-03-2021, 10:20 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Victor C3

However, it seems like at least half of the people I see in a sports car or an exotic are in a certain age bracket and just barely do even the speed limit.
I agree, all these 30 and 40 somethings more interested in their mobile devices than enjoying their nice cars…
phila12180 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 03:41 AM
love_my_porsche
Advanced

Originally Posted by Victor C3
As has already been stated, if you just about never used it then you’ll probably not miss it.

I personally would never buy a modern Porsche without it. I almost always drive my car in sport mode and regularly dip into sport + on nearly every drive. I love stoplights on highways with 55 mph speed limits and on-ramps. It’s lots of fun making my kids scream at me!

However, it seems like at least half of the people I see in a sports car or an exotic are in a certain age bracket and just barely do even the speed limit. If you’re one of those drivers, you’ll never miss it. But I have to wonder, why would these people buy a Porsche, Ferrari, or Lambo in the first place?
Hey Victor,

I never used it on the Boxter GTS but that was driving in traffic ridden London, I'm moving to the south of Portugal with lovely twisting roads and virtually zero traffic.

Well I will still have SPORT just not SPORT+ and I have every intention of really pushing this car and will also track it too. There's a new Formula 1 circuit just a few miles away.

But the choice is a C2SC without Chrono or no Porsche at all basically, I might be able to get allocation for a new build but with current delays i have no idea when I'd actually get it.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:53 AM
Victor C3
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by love_my_porsche
Hey Victor,

I never used it on the Boxter GTS but that was driving in traffic ridden London, I'm moving to the south of Portugal with lovely twisting roads and virtually zero traffic.

Well I will still have SPORT just not SPORT+ and I have every intention of really pushing this car and will also track it too. There's a new Formula 1 circuit just a few miles away.

But the choice is a C2SC without Chrono or no Porsche at all basically, I might be able to get allocation for a new build but with current delays i have no idea when I'd actually get it.
To be honest, I’m envious that you’ll be living in Portugal with a 911. So much of that sounds exactly what I’d like to do with my life when my kids graduate school in about 7 years.

I‘ve learned to never settle when it comes to realizing my dreams. So long as you don’t feel like settling, enjoy your 911 and ignore guys like me who insist that you buy a 911 with SC. In 7 years, just be on the lookout for a middle-aged American idiot driving a 911 with SC. It’ll probably be me!

Last edited by Victor C3; 06-04-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:41 AM
love_my_porsche
Advanced

Hey Victor,

Yes it's a dream for us tbh and has taken many years to realise. I was moaning to the missus about the Porsche 911 without SC and she just rolled her eyes and said "It's not your last car you know - just get SC next time or upgrade the car next time". Real first world problems - should really count our blessings :-)

Quick Reply: How much will I miss Chrono?