Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket audio upgrade with Bose - what speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 10:05 PM
edeleski
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A pillar removal is well outlined by @flickroll, https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1048...r-removal.html.

Used his instructions for removal/install and tweeter replacement in my 2020, 992.
The following users liked this post:
Pad Bender (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 11:04 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by edeleski
A pillar removal is well outlined by @flickroll, https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1048...r-removal.html.

Used his instructions for removal/install and tweeter replacement in my 2020, 992.
Appreciated!
Old 12-22-2021, 12:28 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
I did a Full Audio Upgrade with complete sound insulation on my 2020 C4S that was delivered with the standard Bose System.
It required very specialized equipment to interface with the factory radio/amplifier . My installer used a Zen Audio Toslink converter
run optically to JL Audio VX amplifiers, VX800/8i and VX1000/5i. It employs a JL VXi-Hub and DRC205 remote. Dynaudio is the
choice for speakers. This is a Danish company, very well respected as a high end brand, offering great sounding tweeters, giving
the best sound. There is a three way arrangement for the front, MD102 tweeters, MW172 mid woofer and MD142 soft dome mid range.
For the rear set up a 5.25" Dyn 2-way separate component arrangement, with the same tweeters as the front but with a smaller mid
woofer. The rear deck area has a 2 10" slim mount for the sub base.

It took two and a half months for this install
I really admire the workmanship here and looks like a cool set up, but personally, I would be very concerned about the effect on resale if and when the car gets sold to the next buyer. But that might just be me. 3 years ago I went to go purchase a supposed “CPO” Porsche 991 that apparently had these type of Mods that was not disclosed or missed by the Porsche Technicians. (Some of the equipment had been uninstalled by someone)….Once I discovered the issue I backed out of the deal (glad I did) and later learned that Porsche would not have allowed a CPO on the vehicle due to all of the retro fitting and electrical work. Maybe that situation has changed?
Old 12-22-2021, 01:03 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Vista6019
I really admire the workmanship here and looks like a cool set up, but personally, I would be very concerned about the effect on resale if and when the car gets sold to the next buyer. But that might just be me. 3 years ago I went to go purchase a supposed “CPO” Porsche 991 that apparently had these type of Mods that was not disclosed or missed by the Porsche Technicians. (Some of the equipment had been uninstalled by someone)….Once I discovered the issue I backed out of the deal (glad I did) and later learned that Porsche would not have allowed a CPO on the vehicle due to all of the retro fitting and electrical work. Maybe that situation has changed?
As far as I know, Porsche cannot CPO a car that has permanent modifications without putting it back to near stock condition. That's why it's important to do your research before going aftermarket. There are plug and play solutions that can be reversed to factory if necessary. At the very least, something a bit less intrusive.

On a side note, @malibu515 your install post raises some questions:

1.) You mention that it's a full Dynaudio system but there are zero photos of Dynaudio gear. That's an AudioFrog midrange in the door next to an Illusion Audio C8 woofer. The rear is also a 4" location with zero room for a 5.25" component set — did your installer straight up lie to you? or did you misspeak?

2.) The midrange in a 992 is mounted to the door card from the factory and in your photos it's mounted to the door itself — what on gods earth did your installer cut up to do that? Is the 8" woofer sharing airspace with the midrange?

3.) Two and a half months?!?!?

The following 2 users liked this post by 12v Nick:
mdrobc1213 (12-29-2021), null (11-04-2022)
Old 12-22-2021, 04:55 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Just installed the Rennspec Dynaudio tweeters....nice clear treble now that cuts though cleanly at high volumes.

The old tweeters are joke in comparison and about half the size.

As previously noted, the a pillar removal is the same as the 991.2. Thanks to @flickroll, https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1048...r-removal.html.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:16 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Subscribed. My 992 order locked this week, will hopefully arrive in April and one of the first mods I want to do is improve the Bose sound system.

Looking forward to seeing what different stages MusicarNW comes up with.

Mikster (12-23-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 05:32 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
Subscribed. My 992 order locked this week, will hopefully arrive in April and one of the first mods I want to do is improve the Bose sound system.

Looking forward to seeing what different stages MusicarNW comes up with.
keep us updated.

Old 01-16-2022, 07:49 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 209 Posts

i guess rennspec closed up shop. I finally installed their door speakers and found out the midbass speaker connecter was different on my 2022. I had to do some trimming of the included connector, but everything installed fine, i just need to get some time to take the A pillar off so i can install the burmeister tweeters.
Mikster (06-18-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 09:11 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Rennspec is done unfortunately. I installed the dynaudio tweeters without issue and positive effect. How are the mids?

A pillar will come off quickly...initally pull from the top under the window seal...then grab a flashlight to visualize that metal clip near the top, which has a small rectangular hole.

Push in on that clip hole that with a small sharp poker (just smaller than a pencil) and it should release the whole thing...just pull out firmly to free the base.

Good luck!

Last edited by Pad Bender; 01-16-2022 at 09:22 PM.
mattchow (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 01:54 AM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Rennspec is done unfortunately. I installed the dynaudio tweeters without issue and positive effect. How are the mids?

A pillar will come off quickly...initally pull from the top under the window seal...then grab a flashlight to visualize that metal clip near the top, which has a small rectangular hole.

Push in on that clip hole that with a small sharp poker (just smaller than a pencil) and it should release the whole thing...just pull out firmly to free the base.

Good luck!
I went with the Burmester Tweeters, Audison Voce Midrage, & Audison Prima Woofers. Its definitely an improvement over the base audio system, but still lacks that hit of bass that i want. I'm happy this upgrade cost just over $1k during black friday. I'll be exploring options for that soon.
Pad Bender (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 03:00 PM
ZGstar
Advanced

Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts

Funny how many of the self-proclaimed 'audiophiles' I've encountered in my 40+ year career in music are convinced that even in a rented Dodge Caravan the radio EQ should be set "at unity" (e.g. Bass, Mid, and Treble settings all at 0). Bless their hearts. We all know at least one of these people, haha.

After reading the majority of this exact thread several months ago (just before I ordered my '22 992), I had extremely low expectations with regards to the sound of the Bose system (which I hadn't actually heard with my own ears before ordering it as part of the Premium Package). I took delivery of my 992 in December, and after some rudimentary EQ boosts and selecting Surround Sound in the PCM menu - I am pleasantly surprised with the sound quality, and really don't see the need to upgrade it in the future whatsoever. I primarily listen to EDM and Hip-Hop while driving. As a reference for anyone who cares, the foundation of my home living room audio system is a pair of white RCF EVOX (line array with subs) so I do care about how music sounds in my life more than most...

Bottom line: the Bose system in the 992 is plenty good. Cheers!
The following 3 users liked this post by ZGstar:
AlterZgo (01-17-2022), Patriot (01-18-2022), Zakato70 (11-02-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 02:46 AM
undersky2
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

After reading this thread my takeaway is Bose is **** and I should save my money and not get it. I mainly listen to Cocomelon (baby music for my kid) and NPR. If driving alone I don’t listen to anything maybe audio book. I mainly enjoy the engine sound.

Maybe once in a blue moon I would listen to pop.

shall I just keep the base audio?
Old 01-18-2022, 02:52 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by undersky2
After reading this thread my takeaway is Bose is **** and I should save my money and not get it. I mainly listen to Cocomelon (baby music for my kid) and NPR. If driving alone I don’t listen to anything maybe audio book. I mainly enjoy the engine sound.

Maybe once in a blue moon I would listen to pop.

shall I just keep the base audio?
BOSE is still significantly better than the base audio.
mattchow (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 12:16 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Bose is descent and fills the space nicely with the surround setting as noted by ZGstar...certainly wouldnt want anything less.

Those of use considering upgrades are seeking further clarity and separation at higher volumes without spending the same money as the Burmester.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pad Bender:
Mikster (06-18-2022), ZGstar (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 12:23 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

I wafted between Bose and Burmester, finally checking the Bose box. Had the price difference been a little more reasonable, I'd have likely chosen the latter. Also, had I bought a sedan or SUV, I would have gotten the high end system. After reading the reviews of Bose here, I was unsure what to expect. Now, after driving the car for a few weeks, I think it's fantastic. The settings allow for lots of personalization. The sound is crisp and clear, even with high volume. The PCM settings work to up the volume when necessary. I'm very satisfied.
The following 2 users liked this post by Go Bruins:
AlterZgo (01-18-2022), ZGstar (01-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket audio upgrade with Bose - what speakers?