Sponsored by:

2022 DashCam prewire

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 08:10 AM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 146 Posts
Default 2022 DashCam prewire

Not sure if this needs its own thread but thought it would be beneficial to throw it out there. I've heard rumors of the 2022s coming pre-wired for a dash cam but have not been able to find much information. I know there still a month or two away, but thought it might be interesting to get some information out there as it becomes available
Old 05-19-2021, 03:21 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm very interested in this also. I pre-traded my 991.2 on 5/6 and wasn't expecting my 992 C2S coupe allocation until at least July. To my surprise, my dealer called last week when they were notified of their latest batch of allocations and offered me a July, September or October build date (all 2022 models). I took July and my build is now a few days away from locking. But I almost took September or October just because I've wondered if the rumored dashcam prewire won't appear until after the August factory break and retooling, or perhaps even later. I have no idea what to think...that's just a hunch...but it does seem that all the 2022 models will get the new PCM updates and hopefully will also get the rumored dashcam prewire. I can't imagine it would be much more than some software and perhaps a wiring harness update?

Anyway, I would love some definitive information on this if anyone has it or can get it. I'll be kicking myself if my July build doesn't have it but a September one would have. I want a dashcam but I've never wanted one badly enough to go through tearing my car apart to get it properly installed.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:16 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by BCA01
I want a dashcam but I've never wanted one badly enough to go through tearing my car apart to get it properly installed.
Any professional can easily install a dashcam. You can also do it yourself very simply (read instructions in this forum for tapping into the mirror power), especially if all you need is front-facing and powered while driving. Or you can even simply route the cigarette power cable around the windshield and into the passenger-side lower outlet without any modifications at all.

Pre-wiring for a dashcam should not affect your car selection and it's probably more important and valuable to get the dashcam you want installed (they are not wired the same nor do they perform the same).

Old 05-20-2021, 12:25 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 858 Likes on 438 Posts

I believe this is late build 2022s. As in late in 2021 - you won't see this right off the bat.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:30 AM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey94025
Any professional can easily install a dashcam. You can also do it yourself very simply (read instructions in this forum for tapping into the mirror power), especially if all you need is front-facing and powered while driving. Or you can even simply route the cigarette power cable around the windshield and into the passenger-side lower outlet without any modifications at all.

Pre-wiring for a dashcam should not affect your car selection and it's probably more important and valuable to get the dashcam you want installed (they are not wired the same nor do they perform the same).
Thanks for your input. I know that the install isn’t that complicated. And I have hardwired radar detectors in previous cars via fuse and mirror taps. I just love the idea of having a dash cam being basically a plug-in item. And I would want both front and rear, and parking mode. I guess we’ll see what my car arrives with and go from there.

Last edited by BCA01; 05-20-2021 at 12:35 AM.

Quick Reply: 2022 DashCam prewire