Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way to Wash Under the Rear Spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 09:35 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Best Way to Wash Under the Rear Spoiler?

Some while ago, I happened to notice that the space below my 911s automatically lifting rear spoiler had accumulated quite a bunch of dirt from driving on the salt soaked winter roads. (How often does one look in there themselves?) The additional brake light under the spoiler was fully stained with dark goo, for instance.

Has everybody else remembered to regularly check this space and perform a wash in case needed? I for one hadn't realized, even though now it seems like an obvious thing to do... D'oh!

Any tips or dos and don'ts on how to wash it? It seems like a bit risky area with a lot of openings right on top of (or nearby) the engine. Especially now that it seems that, at least in my case, it would be necessary to use some stronger dissolvent etc. to get rid of the piled up road grime... Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Normally, I take extremely good care of the car and wash it even more frequently during the winter months, so I find myself kind of disappointed for this oversight from my side. Hopefully, this thread will be helpful to some others too!

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 05-14-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:03 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Every few washes I manually activate the spoiler then wipe everything down with a soaked microfiber cloth. Then I progress to a damp cloth, repeating the process until everything is clean. The nooks and crannies require a bit more time, but even just using water the process takes no more than 10 minutes.
The following 2 users liked this post by gcurnew:
smiles11 (05-14-2021), TheGreatJ (05-15-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 10:05 AM
politeperson
Racer

Received 475 Likes on 145 Posts

Use a baby wipe!
The following users liked this post:
TheGreatJ (05-15-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 11:58 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

I wipe mine down every wash with a damp sponge or microfiber mitt. I just dont blast it with the hose or foam gun.
The following users liked this post:
TheGreatJ (05-15-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 06:15 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

I raise it, rinse it and soap it, and dry it when I'm done, along with the rest of the car. Same with the Engine Vent Lid that's between it and the rear window. Basically, I may be unique in this thought, but I believe it's generally a good idea to be wearing clean underwear.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
Schwarz992C4S (05-14-2021), TheGreatJ (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 07:35 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks, guys!

Wiping it down seems to be generally approved method here and it sounds like the way to go. My only problem in its current state is that some of the dirt is so stuck in the plastic parts (think of salt and road grime combination that sometimes is very hard to get rid of in the winter even after just a short while) that using merely wipes is likely not going to do the trick... I needs something rather powerful to dissolve the goo first (I may have something that would work for this purpose) but I am still sceptical that a simple wipe down would be sufficient after this. My initial reaction would be to spray it afterwards with generic amount of water (or a combination of foam and water) but I don't know if this is a good idea, as in the process the water (eventually becoming quite dirty) could end up in wrong places.. Have you dared to spray any water in the area under the spoiler (without strong pressure obviously) or does everybody think this is not a good idea?

Quick Reply: Best Way to Wash Under the Rear Spoiler?