Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 4 vs Traga 4 vs 4s

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021 | 05:36 PM
sane992to
Intermediate

Default 992 4 vs Traga 4 vs 4s

I am planning on placing on order for one of these cars in June, all of them optioned in a way that over all cost is the same, so around CAD$160,00. However, I have been confused because I was wondering which one would have a better resell after 4 years? Also, 4s definitely will be best in terms of performance but does anyone own any of these? how was your experience switching between the coupe and Targa? I am also looking to use whichever car I get as an everyday car in Toronto, Canada.

Thank you!
Old 05-02-2021 | 06:51 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

I am just a couple of weeks ahead of you. I didn't have the luxury of a choice, but if I did, I was going to get the Targa 4 for the following reasons: the car is super fast and sporty with the base motor; If it's your daily driver, the Targa 4 will treat you better; you'll save about 10k (maybe 12k CAD) that you can spend on options. As for resale, sure the Targa 4s will be more valuable, but the price is more, and that will likely be an equivalent offset.

So, I have a confirmed build for a 2022 Targa 4, with delivery in late August, at the PEC in Los Angeles! Obviously, I'm super excited. I've owned some cool sports cars, but this will be my first Porsche. Here's my build and a photo. It's GT Silver with the Sport-Tex interior. http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7HWTJ0. I am still tinkering with the options. Specifically, I'm thinking of getting the Remote ParkAssist package (only 1k more), and the InnoDrive Package. These options get pricey!

Old 05-02-2021 | 06:58 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

What about the sport package and then you get the sport exhaust for 1/2 price with the options you picked. I went with the Carrera 4 because I felt the Targa 4 made the back seat even less useful. My build:

https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do...bcode=PNID1IP8
Old 05-02-2021 | 07:06 PM
sane992to
Intermediate

That looks pretty sick! Yeah what you are saying makes sense, Targa just looks more unique and is more comfortable to enjoy all the seasons. I think you should get the get standard leather seats and premium and sports package. One of the premium package has park assist. I don't know why your car is more expensive even though it seems like the car I made has more options but here is mine: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNVLJHP3. Lemme know what you think!
Old 05-02-2021 | 07:07 PM
sane992to
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sahilsen
I am planning on placing on order for one of these cars in June, all of them optioned in a way that over all cost is the same, so around CAD$160,00. However, I have been confused because I was wondering which one would have a better resell after 4 years? Also, 4s definitely will be best in terms of performance but does anyone own any of these? how was your experience switching between the coupe and Targa? I am also looking to use whichever car I get as an everyday car in Toronto, Canada.

Thank you!
That looks pretty sick! Yeah what you are saying makes sense, Targa just looks more unique and is more comfortable to enjoy all the seasons. I think you should get the get standard leather seats and premium and sports package. One of the premium package has park assist. I don't know why your car is more expensive even though it seems like the car I made has more options but here is mine: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNVLJHP3. Lemme know what you think!
Old 05-02-2021 | 07:18 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smsprague
What about the sport package and then you get the sport exhaust for 1/2 price with the options you picked. I went with the Carrera 4 because I felt the Targa 4 made the back seat even less useful. My build:

https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do...bcode=PNID1IP8
Great builds on both. My package is a bit more than it should because of 2 things: you can't get the premium package with sport-tex interior (also, that's a full leather interior and adds 4380 to the price); and I didn't do the Sports Package because I want the Sport Chrono with the Porsche Design Clock (adds 1200). Now, if I add the Remote Park Assist, InnoDrive, and protection film, I'll be at 157K. My initial build order that posted to "Track your Dream" had an MSRP of $139k. I need to stop!!
Old 05-02-2021 | 07:27 PM
sane992to
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
Great builds on both. My package is a bit more than it should because of 2 things: you can't get the premium package with sport-tex interior (also, that's a full leather interior and adds 4380 to the price); and I didn't do the Sports Package because I want the Sport Chrono with the Porsche Design Clock (adds 1200). Now, if I add the Remote Park Assist, InnoDrive, and protection film, I'll be at 157K. My initial build order that posted to "Track your Dream" had an MSRP of $139k. I need to stop!!
Ohhh I see, I was just messing around with your build and tried this. Looks pretty good in my opinion. Gives a California vibe aha. Also, I know what you mean, the price keeps going up and up with options.

Old 05-02-2021 | 07:36 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Those are some nice changes. So many combinations. My freeze date is June 2. I am sure to make a few more changes by then. It's funny. My salesman told me I'd make at least a dozen changes. I told him no way; 1 or 2 max. I've already made 4 in one week. That's why they say that no 911 is the same. In fact, I read recently that last year, there were only two identical twins of all the models sold.
Old 05-02-2021 | 07:47 PM
sane992to
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
Those are some nice changes. So many combinations. My freeze date is June 2. I am sure to make a few more changes by then. It's funny. My salesman told me I'd make at least a dozen changes. I told him no way; 1 or 2 max. I've already made 4 in one week. That's why they say that no 911 is the same. In fact, I read recently that last year, there were only two identical twins of all the models sold.
Ahah yeah your sales guy is right. The changes I made only increase your cost by 1k. Just added jet metallic colour to wheels, premium package with park assist, sports package, grey and white tone leather and white seat belts. so you’ll get a lot more options at almost the same price
Old 05-02-2021 | 09:16 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Op, have you received your allocation?, or have you put a deposit? If not I suggest doing it right away because allocation is very hard to get these days.
AFAK, you can’t switch between models. If you put your name down for a 4S coupe, you will only get a 4S coupe allocation once it is your turn. So you have to make the decision at the beginning, changing your mind later can cost you time.

I am waiting for a 2022 Targa 4S allocation. 4 = all weather car; S = manual transmission available; Targa = b-e-a-utiful.
My build (I’m also in Canada); http://www.porsche-code.com/PNY1AS10

The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (05-03-2021)
Old 05-02-2021 | 11:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thank you!
The Targa.
Go Bruins (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021 | 07:21 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

From my own research, Targas hold their value very well overall. Most people order 4S at least from the production numbers I saw in the 991 section. Targa 4 are pretty rare and part of the reason was with the 991.1 there was no turbo to help compensate for all the extra weight. I had a Targa 4 GTS, and while I didn’t keep it a full year, I sold it for what I paid with 8500 extra miles. I wouldn’t say don’t get a Targa 4 but if you can swing it budget wise, I’d still opt for a 4S or GTS once that become available.
Old 05-09-2021 | 08:01 PM
sane992to
Intermediate

Originally Posted by c1pher
From my own research, Targas hold their value very well overall. Most people order 4S at least from the production numbers I saw in the 991 section. Targa 4 are pretty rare and part of the reason was with the 991.1 there was no turbo to help compensate for all the extra weight. I had a Targa 4 GTS, and while I didn’t keep it a full year, I sold it for what I paid with 8500 extra miles. I wouldn’t say don’t get a Targa 4 but if you can swing it budget wise, I’d still opt for a 4S or GTS once that become available.
I should have mentioned on my post properly but I have been confused between Targa 4 and the C4S. The way I build it both were coming down to the same price. Which one do you think would hold better value? From what I have researched they both seem to be holding it similarly.
Old 05-09-2021 | 08:15 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

I should have mentioned on my post properly but I have been confused between Targa 4 and the C4S. The way I build it both were coming down to the same price. Which one do you think would hold better value? From what I have researched they both seem to be holding it similarly.
The question is academic unless you actually have a build or a choice. If you do, then a Targa does hold value a bit better than a coupe (perhaps not) but understand that more people will look for a coupe than a targa. All that being the case, buy the 911 for you and what you want. Resale value will take care of itself. And if it's a few thousand difference one way or the other on a resale, is that really going to drive your decision? Build it how you want; drive it as much as you can.
colegno (05-10-2021)
Old 05-09-2021 | 09:40 PM
rm4enjoyit
Advanced

Frankly I like the look of the coupe but went for a Targa in part because I didn't have a choice. And my concerns with a Targa are probably unwarranted. These cars are tough to get right now and I didn't understand that when I started down this path. Good luck with your decision.
sane992to (05-09-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 4 vs Traga 4 vs 4s