Sponsored by:

Lowering springs thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 03:23 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
I suppose I will just have to wait until I can talk to a few folks that have a 992 CS2 and lowered their cars... My guess on the wheel gap is that Porsche has to cater to those who drive in the snow?
You can look through the forum and I think there a quite a few already who have HAS on their CS2. Wheel gap - not sure why they did it but its really bad on the base PASM. Just looks out of place to me for a sport inspired coupe. But heck, I am wondering about the same on some supercars.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:32 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
All fair points. I tend to do only performance mods - and that’s the issue for me, I can’t tell if the lowering helps or hinders actual performance.
As a person who has lowered every single one of my cars for over 35 yrs, whether it improves performance or not really depends on many factors, but generally speaking, I think lowering cars tends to mess up the very well balanced compromise the manufacturer (particularly one as experienced as Porsche) has engineered into the suspension. Knowing this full well, I still lower my cars simply b/c it looks better... not really ever expecting better performance. Here's what I have experienced and this applies to all my cars including my presently lowered 992S:
  • If you lower w/ high quality coilovers (well engineered matching shocks and springs) the car will definitley handle better over most situations. BUT, over large bumps and dips, the car may bottom out and *may* handle worse (can't defeat the laws of physics). Plus, over time, all suspension wears out and as they do, the coilovers tend to ride worse than stock and the performance advantages become dubious b/c they have higher rate springs which don't work well when the shock damping is spent. I expect maybe 10K miles of good performance out of coilovers before they should be rebuilt. Still this is the way to go if you want to lower your car and actually improve performance. Alternatively, you can also get a matched lowering spring/shock combination. Not sure what, if any, are available for 992s at the moment though.
  • If you lower with springs only - be it a HAS kit or just lowering springs, performance virtually never improves because the stock dampers are simply not matched to the springs. Furthermore, you are removing suspension travel. The lower the springs the less suspension travel you have. 911s are already low cars with limited suspension travel. If you lower it an inch, you are probablly removing 1/3 of the available compression stroke travel so the car is more prone to bottoming out... which really messes up the handling. I have found that springs only wear out the stock dampers very quickly. Every time I've done springs only, I felt a significant drop off in shock damping in about 5K miles and certaily by 10K miles, it's noticeable. Most people will disagree and that's fine. I'm not saying the car is not drivable. I've driven cars lowered w/ springs on stock dampers for 30K... 60K+ miles. Just don't expect good handling or increased performance. At 30K+ miles, that lowered car will basically feel pretty wallowy and have less body control. It won't kill you, but if you were to jump into a new 911 and drove the cars back to back, you'd think "WTF happened to my car? Feels like S!"
  • Regardless of what you get, the lower the car is, the crappier the handling and performance. Removing suspension travel KILLS performance. Running a HAS Kit on the lowest setting will make the car ride and handle like crap. So if you do lower the car, don't go overboard and slam it if you want any semblance of performance.
So my bottom line is, don't bother lowering for performance... unless you're talking about track performance and you're getting track focused coilovers meant for smooth race tracks and not designed for everyday road use. Lower your car because it makes the car look awesome and if you find that the suspension still performs to your liking, great! Just don't expect this to be a "performance" mod. Me personally? Am I willing to give up some performance and comfort for this stance? Heck yeah!

Last edited by AlterZgo; 06-25-2022 at 01:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
Calbenzo (05-29-2023), fxmixer (11-26-2023), Terrence (01-01-2023)
Old 06-25-2022, 01:51 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
As a person who has lowered every single one of my cars for over 35 yrs, whether it improves performance or not really depends on many factors, but generally speaking, I think lowering cars tends to mess up the very well balanced compromise the manufacturer (particularly one as experienced as Porsche) has engineered into the suspension. Knowing this full well, I still lower my cars simply b/c it looks better... not really ever expecting better performance. Here's what I have experienced and this applies to all my cars including my presently lowered 992S:
  • If you lower w/ high quality coilovers (well engineered matching shocks and springs) the car will definitley handle better over most situations. BUT, over large bumps and dips, the car may bottom out and *may* handle worse (can't defeat the laws of physics). Plus, over time, all suspension wears out and as they do, the coilovers tend to ride worse than stock and the performance advantages become dubious b/c they have higher rate springs which don't work well when the shock damping is spent. I expect maybe 10K miles of good performance out of coilovers before they should be rebuilt. Still this is the way to go if you want to lower your car and actually improve performance. Alternatively, you can also get a matched lowering spring/shock combination. Not sure what, if any, are available for 992s at the moment though.
  • If you lower with springs only - be it a HAS kit or just lowering springs, performance virtually never improves because the stock dampers are simply not matched to the springs. Furthermore, you are removing suspension travel. The lower the springs the less suspension travel you have. 911s are already low cars with limited suspension travel. If you lower it an inch, you are probablly removing 1/3 of the available compression stroke travel so the car is more prone to bottoming out... which really messes up the handling. I have found that springs only wear out the stock dampers very quickly. Every time I've done springs only, I felt a significant drop off in shock damping in about 5K miles and certaily by 10K miles, it's noticeable. Most people will disagree and that's fine. I'm not saying the car is not drivable. I've driven cars lowered w/ springs on stock dampers for 30K... 60K+ miles. Just don't expect good handling or increased performance. At 30K+ miles, that lowered car will basically feel pretty wallowy and have less body control. It won't kill you, but if you were to jump into a new 911 and drove the cars back to back, you'd think "WTF happened to my car? Feels like S!"
  • Regardless of what you get, the lower the car is, the crappier the handling and performance. Removing suspension travel KILLS performance. Running a HAS Kit on the lowest setting will make the car ride and handle like crap. So if you do lower the car, don't go overboard and slam it if you want any semblance of performance.
So my bottom line is, don't bother lowering for performance... unless you're talking about track performance and you're getting track focused coilovers meant for smooth race tracks and not designed for everyday road use. Lower your car because it makes the car look awesome and if you find that the suspension still performs to your liking, great! Just don't expect this to be a "performance" mod. Me personally? Am I willing to give up some performance and comfort for this stance? Heck yeah!

I agree with many but not all points. Your car stance looks good, how much did you lower it?

Btw, a base 911 has a huge amount of travel for being a sports car. To me it feels high like any other spots sedan. Never bottomed out on my lowered cars but depends what roads you drive on and how much you lower it. I tend to not take my sports cars on anything but reasonable smooth roads, never go off the road or park on uneven, grassy parking lots. I have an SUV for those adventures.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:00 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I agree with many but not all points. Your car stance looks good, how much did you lower it?

Btw, a base 911 has a huge amount of travel for being a sports car. To me it feels high like any other spots sedan. Never bottomed out on my lowered cars but depends what roads you drive on and how much you lower it. I tend to not take my sports cars on anything but reasonable smooth roads, never go off the road or park on uneven, grassy parking lots. I have an SUV for those adventures.
Thanks. The car had stock SPASM and is lowered 7/8" in front and 5/8" rear. The base/PASM suspension looks high but I thought the stock PASM drove the absolute best overall when I test drove the cars. It had excellent ride quality, didn't feel lowered, and still handled extremely well being able to absorb bumps even when taking turns at higher speeds. My stock SPASM Carerra S, in contrast, drove like a lowered car even when 100% stock.

I agree that if you drive on smooth roads primarily, and don't really push the suspension through it's full travel, a lowered car can handle better than a stock one. Personally, I like to drive my cars to as many places as possible so I want it to be as functional as a stock... which they never are once lowered.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:09 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Thanks. The car had stock SPASM and is lowered 7/8" in front and 5/8" rear. The base/PASM suspension looks high but I thought the stock PASM drove the absolute best overall when I test drove the cars. It had excellent ride quality, didn't feel lowered, and still handled extremely well being able to absorb bumps even when taking turns at higher speeds. My stock SPASM Carerra S, in contrast, drove like a lowered car even when 100% stock.

I agree that if you drive on smooth roads primarily, and don't really push the suspension through it's full travel, a lowered car can handle better than a stock one. Personally, I like to drive my cars to as many places as possible so I want it to be as functional as a stock... which they never are once lowered.
Thanks for the info. I have a base PASM and about to put Techart HAS on (patiently waiting for delivery). I do agree that from a handling perspective the base handles most situation very, very well and sure is still comfy to be used as a daily. Can't talk about SPASM. I just can't stand that huge wheelgap on the base. Will not go slammed but similar like yours would be my goal. I do drive my 911 often but not daily may it be because of weather, things I have to do like picking up large things, or simply planning to go somewhere with more than 1 guest or friend. I also tend to not take it to the beach when I can throw my chairs and sandy sandals in the SUV and not think twice about it.
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 02:18 PM
Yinnzer
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C2 Cabriolet

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
I know this has been posted before. I have seen a few posts but was wondering if there has been any updates.

I am debating on lowering my 992 c2s with spasm and pdcc by just using H&R springs.

Anyone running this set up have pics and feedback?

Any other spring set up's better or should we just avoid lowering springs all together?

Thanks
I have the H&R Sport Springs, this is my daily driver and there is very little difference in overall ride quality, while it isn’t a street sweeper, it is a bit lower in the front than I would have liked, if this is an issue for you then get the adjustable units. It accomplished my goal of quashing some of the jounce and rebound car experiences when driving sporty on our always undulating and uneven canyon roads here in California. 992 is so wide I did need 15 mm spacers on all corners to keep it from looking like a 356.

Old 05-28-2023, 10:22 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
What's the price of the H&R HAS kit?
Glad someone asked LOL!
Old 05-29-2023, 09:40 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
Be prepared for a better look and a less compliant ride.
And more bashing and scraping.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:00 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Thanks for the lengthy writeup.

The car had stock SPASM and is lowered 7/8" in front and 5/8" rear.
Is this the minimum adjustability on KWs? I'm considering lowering my car but want a very mild drop. My ideal would be 5/8 front and 3/8 rear but could live with your specs. Mainly looking for slightly softer ride and better visuals while still being able to drive in bad roads.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:20 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wilder
Thanks for the lengthy writeup.

Is this the minimum adjustability on KWs? I'm considering lowering my car but want a very mild drop. My ideal would be 5/8 front and 3/8 rear but could live with your specs. Mainly looking for slightly softer ride and better visuals while still being able to drive in bad roads.
Not sure what the range of KW HAS is as I'm running Bilstein EVO coilovers and can say that it has great range of adjustable height. I can raise it back to stock SPASM height and can drop it a good 2" from stock SPASM if desired.

Quick Reply: Lowering springs thoughts?