Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021 | 10:25 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gables
This is precisely why I am hesitant about installing PPF. The damaged film looks worse than the underlying paint would if unprotected. When do you actually get to enjoy the protected paint? When the next installer peels the wrap off and you then enjoy looking at the protected paint just before he installs another wrap?

Not trying to be cute but just tying to better understand the value added by PPF? It seems most people will pay 💰 for the piece of mind of knowing their paint is protected without ever actually enjoying it. In the meantime, the wrapped car has to some extent a degraded depth of color and shine (albeit minor but still noticeable).
I Have PPF everywhere it matters (not on the roof). If I decide the car is a "keeper" 4 or 5 years down the road, I redo the PPF on still perfect underlying paint, and the car's exterior looks like new even though at the point it will have 80k to 100k kilometres on it and have been through 5 Canadian winters as a DD. While one could do a repaint at some point down the road rather than redo applications of PPF, the car only has the original paint once. After every PPF re-application, the paintwork under the PPF will look "new" again because it's still original.

Last edited by gcurnew; 04-18-2021 at 10:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by gcurnew:
AlterZgo (04-19-2021), Brad911 (04-18-2021), ChalkThe911 (04-18-2021), ChrisGT3 (04-19-2021)
Old 04-18-2021 | 10:27 PM
Brad911
Racer

Originally Posted by aggie57
Personal choice like many things, but personally I’ve never understood PPF. Wouldn’t go so far as to call it a scam but there always seem to be as many bad experiences with it as good ones, solution looking for a problem. On my white 997 I replaced the rear fender films more often then fixing any chips, because the panels went yellow.
Yep - cheap films do that XPel 10yr warranty covers yellowing.
Old 04-18-2021 | 10:39 PM
phila12180
Racer

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
My car is just over a year old.. Never did PPF. Did ceramic coat, I know it's not the same but but I never had ppf on any of my other cars so didn't bother.

Until recent things have been ok. Now my car seems to be collecting rock chips like nobody's business.

I'm looking at possibly getting hood, fenders and front bumper done. But my question for you all is.

Does everyone here get ppf? Or was I the only one? And should I still bother getting it if there is already damage? Or is it too late?
I am undecided about PPF, I am very particular about how I keep my car and want it to be as near perfect as possible for as long as possible. Having said that I tend to think that it is unlikely that the cost of the PPF will add any where near its cost to the value of the car when I come to sell it. I am awaiting the delivery of my first 911 and I will probably have the car for around 10 years. After 10 years will the car have stone chips, undoubtedly yes. I have been driving for close to 50 years and have owned many many new cars and not one of them has had an excessive amount of stone chips. As already said I do like to keep my car nice but I am buying it for me not the next persons benefit. Maybe the design of the Porsche makes it prone to getting chipped, hopefully the quality of the paint isn't worse than on previous cars that I have owned. I still have another (estimated) seven weeks before I have to make my final decision.
Old 04-18-2021 | 10:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Don't bother.

It's too late.

Lots of people get PPF and lots do not.

But in your case, don't bother.

Your car already has patina and character.

Enjoy it as-is.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (04-19-2021), ChrisGT3 (04-19-2021), detansinn (04-18-2021), lucycan (04-19-2021)
Old 04-18-2021 | 11:24 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phila12180
I am undecided about PPF, I am very particular about how I keep my car and want it to be as near perfect as possible for as long as possible. Having said that I tend to think that it is unlikely that the cost of the PPF will add any where near its cost to the value of the car when I come to sell it. I am awaiting the delivery of my first 911 and I will probably have the car for around 10 years. After 10 years will the car have stone chips, undoubtedly yes. I have been driving for close to 50 years and have owned many many new cars and not one of them has had an excessive amount of stone chips. As already said I do like to keep my car nice but I am buying it for me not the next persons benefit. Maybe the design of the Porsche makes it prone to getting chipped, hopefully the quality of the paint isn't worse than on previous cars that I have owned. I still have another (estimated) seven weeks before I have to make my final decision.
Don’t buy PPF for the next owner or to preserve resale value. It likely won’t have much affect on resale value, especially if trading in. Buy it if you want to preserve the paint for yourself, knowing it is hidden under the film and the film will show marks.
The following users liked this post:
ChalkThe911 (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021 | 11:48 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Lots of good feedback. Thanks everyone.

I sent a couple of feelers out to some local shops. One shop already said don't bother depending on how much damage the rock chips already did. They said for me to bring it in for an opinion but probably not worth it.

I kinda feel dumb not doing it from the start but there's a lot of good points brought up in thread.

I guess a follow up question would be has anyone have any experience with Dr colour chip? Or chipfixx?

Old 04-19-2021 | 12:03 AM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Dr Colorchip works very well, used it on previous BMW that was carbon black. It will probably work even better on non metallic paint.
The following 2 users liked this post by rhr992c4s:
ChalkThe911 (04-19-2021), twin_turbo (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021 | 12:29 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

PPF is definitely not a scam. I ran over a gigantic tire tread w/ jagged exposed steel belts in my PPF'd M3. The impact was so hard, it popped loose my lower airdam grate and put these big rubber marks across the front bumper and underneath. I popped the loose grate back in place and washed off the rubber marks and you couldn't even tell I hit anything at all.

After I moved from California to AZ, my car started getting pelted like crazy with little rocks and I've had to replace my windshield 3x in the 3 yrs I've been here. I've also since got two small hood gouges down to the paint and a chip on my carbon fiber roof since I've moved to AZ (I don't have PPF on the hood or the roof) The front bumper that is PPF'd? Still looks brand new.

I've had PPF on the car for 6 yrs now and for the most part, you can't really tell the difference between regular painted and PPF'd surfaces. Both look just as glossy and shiny and it has not discolored much in 6 yrs. Now my stock BMW PPF on the rear arches look like crap, but I plan on just getting that replaced.

Bottom line is, PPF is not a scam and I really don't get this idea that you can't enjoy how the paint looks when covered in PPF when it pretty much looks identical to non PPF'd paint. As long as you are using a high quality PPF and a good installer, it will look totally fine.

If I still lived in Southern California, I may not get PPF because other than running over that giant tire tread, I haven't had many issues there with rock chips and debris pelting my car. But here in the AZ desert, with a bunch of people driving around in large trucks, my car gets pelted 24/7 and when my 992 arrives, I'm definitely going to get the front bumper, hood, mirrors, and rocker panel to rear qtr panels PPFd.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
ChalkThe911 (04-19-2021), pkalhan (07-06-2023)
Old 04-19-2021 | 12:41 AM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
PPF is definitely not a scam. I ran over a gigantic tire tread w/ jagged exposed steel belts in my PPF'd M3. The impact was so hard, it popped loose my lower airdam grate and put these big rubber marks across the front bumper and underneath. I popped the loose grate back in place and washed off the rubber marks and you couldn't even tell I hit anything at all.

After I moved from California to AZ, my car started getting pelted like crazy with little rocks and I've had to replace my windshield 3x in the 3 yrs I've been here. I've also since got two small hood gouges down to the paint and a chip on my carbon fiber roof since I've moved to AZ (I don't have PPF on the hood or the roof) The front bumper that is PPF'd? Still looks brand new.

I've had PPF on the car for 6 yrs now and for the most part, you can't really tell the difference between regular painted and PPF'd surfaces. Both look just as glossy and shiny and it has not discolored much in 6 yrs. Now my stock BMW PPF on the rear arches look like crap, but I plan on just getting that replaced.

Bottom line is, PPF is not a scam and I really don't get this idea that you can't enjoy how the paint looks when covered in PPF when it pretty much looks identical to non PPF'd paint. As long as you are using a high quality PPF and a good installer, it will look totally fine.

If I still lived in Southern California, I may not get PPF because other than running over that giant tire tread, I haven't had many issues there with rock chips and debris pelting my car. But here in the AZ desert, with a bunch of people driving around in large trucks, my car gets pelted 24/7 and when my 992 arrives, I'm definitely going to get the front bumper, hood, mirrors, and rocker panel to rear qtr panels PPFd.
Apparently this is what I should have gotten.

pkalhan (07-06-2023)
Old 04-19-2021 | 12:47 AM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Actually, I would recommend doing the full rear quarter panels rather than just half way to door handle height. The front tires can and will throw debris higher than door handle height , especially on spirited drives in the twisties.
Old 04-19-2021 | 01:01 AM
Gables
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brad911
You do you, Gables. Everyone has an opinion and nobody is forcing you one way or the other.
Of course. Just sharing my opinion on a message board. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 04-19-2021 | 01:21 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brad911
Yep - cheap films do that XPel 10yr warranty covers yellowing.
So Porsche use cheap film? I guess they could.
Old 04-19-2021 | 01:23 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
Apparently this is what I should have gotten.
One thing you should not do is a partial wrap.

Either wrap the whole car, or don't wrap at all.
ChalkThe911 (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021 | 01:44 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Originally Posted by Gables
This is precisely why I am hesitant about installing PPF. The damaged film looks worse than the underlying paint would if unprotected. When do you actually get to enjoy the protected paint? When the next installer peels the wrap off and you then enjoy looking at the protected paint just before he installs another wrap?

Not trying to be cute but just tying to better understand the value added by PPF? It seems most people will pay 💰 for the piece of mind of knowing their paint is protected without ever actually enjoying it. In the meantime, the wrapped car has to some extent a degraded depth of color and shine (albeit minor but still noticeable).
I have about 4,000 miles on my 14 month old C2S--ceramic coating only with no PPF. Sure, there are a few tiny rock chips on the front end that I minimized with Dr. Colorchip, but the natural paint still looks fantastic and I thoroughly enjoy that more than the look of PPF. I will be trading the car before it is 3 years old and I couldn't see protecting the paint with PPF for the next owner--never have, never will, and there has never been an issue with trade-in value. My opinion, of course and I believe that is what the OP is looking for.

Longer term, higher mileage car--maybe a different story.

Last edited by HouTexCarreraS; 04-19-2021 at 01:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HouTexCarreraS:
ChalkThe911 (04-19-2021), Gables (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021 | 01:58 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
One thing you should not do is a partial wrap.

Either wrap the whole car, or don't wrap at all.
I disagree. Plenty of people here have done partial wraps, so it’s definitely not the one thing you should not do.
The following 4 users liked this post by Marantz2270:
ChalkThe911 (04-19-2021), pkalhan (07-06-2023), Skarz (04-20-2021), Yojeffo (11-06-2021)

Quick Reply: PPF