Sponsored by:

992 S Manual and Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 03:06 PM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 992 S Manual and Sport Chrono

It appears that the Sport Chrono Package is not available on the 992 S with the manual transmission option selected. I find this to be really odd, and am beginning to think I missed something in the configurator. Can any support my findings?

Jason
Old 04-14-2021, 03:27 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

SC comes standard with the manual gearbox.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:44 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,980 Likes on 804 Posts

As tgcrun indicates, sport chrono is included w/ the manual. If you select the $2,790 sport chrono pkg, it will remove the manual option and kick you back to the PDK. Also, the manual's sport chrono is missing launch control.

You also can't rely on the configurator pictures as the Carrera S pictures does not show the manual shifter, pedals, sport chrono clock or even the steering wheel mode selector even though you've selected all these options. OTOH, for whatever reason, the correct pictures show up if you start your build from a Carrera 4S model... Very odd since both interiors are exactly identical. Of course on the 4S pictures, it shows a black roof w/ glass sunroof option rather than the correct painted roof that appears with the Carrera S model.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:54 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

992S manual.
The following users liked this post:
Tedster (04-14-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 09:41 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
As tgcrun indicates, sport chrono is included w/ the manual. If you select the $2,790 sport chrono pkg, it will remove the manual option and kick you back to the PDK. Also, the manual's sport chrono is missing launch control.

You also can't rely on the configurator pictures as the Carrera S pictures does not show the manual shifter, pedals, sport chrono clock or even the steering wheel mode selector even though you've selected all these options. OTOH, for whatever reason, the correct pictures show up if you start your build from a Carrera 4S model... Very odd since both interiors are exactly identical. Of course on the 4S pictures, it shows a black roof w/ glass sunroof option rather than the correct painted roof that appears with the Carrera S model.
Thank you for the clarification.

Jason
Old 04-15-2021, 12:45 PM
bagel
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the the C2S with MT and one thing you might not know is the revs are limited at idle to around 3000rpm. I'm assuming this is to save the transmission, but it was news to me.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:57 PM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bagel
I have the the C2S with MT and one thing you might not know is the revs are limited at idle to around 3000rpm. I'm assuming this is to save the transmission, but it was news to me.
Bagel, could you advise from personal perspective where technological aspects of the SC is something you actually "use"?
I can see value with the PDK but Im struggling to understand where it has applicability when coupled with the MT. I ask this with all seriousness and because Im not a tracker, hard driver. etc.
Is it the added dynamic mounts? Im not really sure how much they change experience either.
Would you pay for it as an option?
thanks!
Old 04-22-2021, 02:27 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
Bagel, could you advise from personal perspective where technological aspects of the SC is something you actually "use"?
I can see value with the PDK but Im struggling to understand where it has applicability when coupled with the MT. I ask this with all seriousness and because Im not a tracker, hard driver. etc.
Is it the added dynamic mounts? Im not really sure how much they change experience either.
Would you pay for it as an option?
thanks!
The major reason that Sport Chrono is added to the manual is that it includes rev matching which will make shifts smoother.
Additionally, without Sport Chrono you only get a Sport Button, whereas with it, you get the addition of Sport, Sport Plus, and Individual Drive modes.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:16 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,349 Likes on 1,523 Posts

You can definitely feel the Dynamic Engine Mounts when engaged and you are cornering hard - as in near max capable g's. Downside of them is the can - and do - fail and will run appx $ 1,700 per mount out of warranty.

I have Sport Chrono on my 992S Manual and had it on my prior 991.1S manual. I rarely use it unless at the track or autocross. It is the one "must have" option other's will look for at resale on the car.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:44 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 839 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
You can definitely feel the Dynamic Engine Mounts when engaged and you are cornering hard - as in near max capable g's. Downside of them is the can - and do - fail and will run appx $ 1,700 per mount out of warranty.

I have Sport Chrono on my 992S Manual and had it on my prior 991.1S manual. I rarely use it unless at the track or autocross. It is the one "must have" option other's will look for at resale on the car.
I thought Porsche ditched the dynamic motor mounts and went with direct top mounts for the 992, no? Are you sure the dynamic mounts are still available?

edit- I stand corrected. After further research, it looks like these are still very much a thing although I’m pretty sure I read this a while ago from a car rag when the 992 came out.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 04-23-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:00 PM
SamD
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 142 Posts

From the configurator, SC features include:
  • Porsche Active Driveline Mounts – In Normal mode, magnetorheological driveline mounts remain soft to minimize perceptible vibration of the drivetrain. With SPORT mode switched on, the mounts stiffen for driveline dynamics suiting a sporty driving style. With SPORT PLUS mode switched on, driveline mounts stiffen further for maximum performance.

Quick Reply: 992 S Manual and Sport Chrono