992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple Music in the PCM interface?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021 | 07:55 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Default Apple Music in the PCM interface?

This is probably a really basic question. With my new C4S I got Apple Music free for 6-months. I can access any music I want from it fine on my iPhone but does anyone know if I can use the PCM interface to search and select music? I can only see Amazon Music in the list of media sources in the PCM drop-down menu but I don't have a subscription for that.

I have Apple Carplay running fine when connected by cable to my C4S. However, at the moment the only way I can see to access Apple Music is to search and find music while holding my phone in one hand while typing with the other while driving - not good. Any pointers as to whether it works with PCM?
Old 04-03-2021 | 08:02 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It’s for use with CarPlay. 2020/21 992s don’t get an Apple Music app for the PCM.

The 2022 992’s get the Taycan PCM and Apple Music support with it. Downside is that CarPlay is now a paid subscription service with the 2022 cars.
Old 04-03-2021 | 08:07 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Originally Posted by detansinn
It’s for use with CarPlay. 2020/21 992s don’t get an Apple Music app for the PCM.

The 2022 992’s get the Taycan PCM and Apple Music support with it. Downside is that CarPlay is now a paid subscription service with the 2022 cars.
Thanks. I have Carplay up and running but can't see how I can access Apple Music from it. If I hit the Music button in Carplay I just get whatever is in my library. There is no search function. I am assuming from your comments this is not possible in the 2021 PCM and that Apple Music is in effect not a very useful thing to offer us pre 2022 drivers. Seems that Amazo Music makes more sense?
Old 04-03-2021 | 08:07 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn

ugh. One of my fears of moving to Porsche. Have this functionality in my 2018 M3. I suspect I’m in for a few “you have to be kidding me” moments with my new car.
Old 04-03-2021 | 08:13 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doug_999
ugh. One of my fears of moving to Porsche. Have this functionality in my 2018 M3. I suspect I’m in for a few “you have to be kidding me” moments with my new car.
There are far more “OMFG, this car is amazing” moments on deck than the idiosyncratic stuff. Enjoy it!
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021 | 08:14 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aquatone
Thanks. I have Carplay up and running but can't see how I can access Apple Music from it. If I hit the Music button in Carplay I just get whatever is in my library. There is no search function. I am assuming from your comments this is not possible in the 2021 PCM and that Apple Music is in effect not a very useful thing to offer us pre 2022 drivers. Seems that Amazo Music makes more sense?
Be sure that you have the Apple Music app on your phone and ask Siri to play something not in your library. Voila.
Old 04-03-2021 | 09:48 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Amazon Music is an easy solution. It lags in sound quality compared to Apple Music but it’s car audio in a loud car. Amazon has a larger catalogue.
Old 04-03-2021 | 10:16 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Amazon Music is an easy solution. It lags in sound quality compared to Apple Music but it’s car audio in a loud car. Amazon has a larger catalogue.
What I like about Apple Music is that I have my CDs uploaded to it - music that is either not on any music service or has been removed. Nothing like your fav song going bye bye.
Old 04-03-2021 | 10:55 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

What I like about Apple Music is that I have my CDs uploaded to it - music that is either not on any music service or has been removed. Nothing like your fav song going bye bye.
Well you could upload them to media that will play in the car as a work around. As an afficianado, I'm curious what kind of music you're not able to get streamed. If it's really embarrassing you can PM, I rarely judge.
Old 04-03-2021 | 11:11 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Well you could upload them to media that will play in the car as a work around. As an afficianado, I'm curious what kind of music you're not able to get streamed. If it's really embarrassing you can PM, I rarely judge.
Agreed on the SIM card - but/and any time I update my playlists, that’s an extra step.

As for songs going away. Look at most albums, songs go bye bye (individual ones). And yes, Boston is an example of bands that don’t have all of their stuff out there cause Tom Sholtz got mad at the big guys

Ps, look at any Spotify playlist that you have made in the past, some songs no longer play. Even after you update them.
Old 04-03-2021 | 11:22 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Agreed on the SIM card - but/and any time I update my playlists, that’s an extra step.

As for songs going away. Look at most albums, songs go bye bye (individual ones). And yes, Boston is an example of bands that don’t have all of their stuff out there cause Tom Sholtz got mad at the big guys

Ps, look at any Spotify playlist that you have made in the past, some songs no longer play. Even after you update them.
Oh I get it...which is why the catalogue is as important to me as sound. I'm used to streaming not having what I like, so likewise I'm used to having media. Boston is one example. Try finding Pousette-Dart. Tech these days does force plenty of extra steps.
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (04-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Apple Music in the PCM interface?