Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Euro delivery too complicated?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 02:22 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Is Euro delivery too complicated?

I’ve always wanted to do Euro delivery for my next Porsche. I have a June build date for C4S Manual coupe. Aside from the fact that it remains to be seen how things unfold in Europe w/r/t COVID over the next few months, I’ve hesitated for the follow reasons:

- Driving without PPF (I guess factory option can address this, but it’s suboptimal?)

- Break-in. I’d love to take the car on the autobahn and the Nurburgring, but it’s probably a bad idea for a new car?

I’d love to hear of anyone’s experience with Euro delivery. On one hand, it’s just a car and I want to optimize for the experience of Euro delivery and driving the crap out of it. On the other hand, I don’t want any undue issues with the car.

Thanks in advance for sharing your insight!
Old 03-29-2021, 02:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,954 Likes on 5,212 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
I’ve always wanted to do Euro delivery for my next Porsche. I have a June build date for C4S Manual coupe. Aside from the fact that it remains to be seen how things unfold in Europe w/r/t COVID over the next few months, I’ve hesitated for the follow reasons:

- Driving without PPF (I guess factory option can address this, but it’s suboptimal?)

- Break-in. I’d love to take the car on the autobahn and the Nurburgring, but it’s probably a bad idea for a new car?

I’d love to hear of anyone’s experience with Euro delivery. On one hand, it’s just a car and I want to optimize for the experience of Euro delivery and driving the crap out of it. On the other hand, I don’t want any undue issues with the car.

Thanks in advance for sharing your insight!
The only thing that should give you pause about ED is the shutdown rolling across the EU because of the pandemic.
  • PPF -- just get the factory option and then reapply when the car arrives stateside.
  • Break-in -- It's affectation of Porsche circle jerks at best, an irrelevant concern at worst.

But you should definitely do ED, it is a wonderful wonderful life experience. You can get all sorts of information and insight over there at the ED subforum --> https://rennlist.com/forums/european...ce-center-236/

I plan on doing ED with the 992 GT3 RS, hopefully by then the world will be back to "normal".

If you have the chance, do it. Be it now, or later.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
403portside (03-29-2021), dhirm5 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 02:41 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

Don't overthink it. If you get a chance, just do it. BTW, there's an entire Rennlist subforum dedicated to European Delivery.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:49 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The only thing that should give you pause about ED is the shutdown rolling across the EU because of the pandemic.
  • PPF -- just get the factory option and then reapply when the car arrives stateside.
  • Break-in -- It's affectation of Porsche circle jerks at best, an irrelevant concern at worst.

But you should definitely do ED, it is a wonderful wonderful life experience. You can get all sorts of information and insight over there at the ED subforum --> https://rennlist.com/forums/european...ce-center-236/

I plan on doing ED with the 992 GT3 RS, hopefully by then the world will be back to "normal".

If you have the chance, do it. Be it now, or later.
Thank you for the motivation! Agree that it would be an amazing life experience!
Old 03-29-2021, 02:53 PM
Momentum Worx
Former Vendor

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

If you have the ability to do it... do it.

Bucket list move right there.

I have close friends who picked up their M2C at the BMW Welt, and the photos they sent back were breathtaking. Very jealous of their experience.

Last edited by Momentum Worx; 03-29-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:50 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Absolutely, don't hesitate. Mine got cancelled last year for obvious reasons and I'm not game to try again this year either but in 2022....absolutely!
Old 03-29-2021, 05:34 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Just do it.

There is no break-in period for these cars. The US is a litigious society, so there is a 1500-mile break-in period in the manual, but in all of the other manuals of the world (German, Australian, etc), it doesn't say anything. I've personally talked to Porsche 911 engineers at media events (I'm a recovering auto writer) and they all said the car is designed to be hammered straight from the factory. The only thing you need to be mindful of is that the brakes need a few hundred miles to bed.

Get the factory PPF for sound mind.

Take tons of pictures/video of your adventure. Your PCA buddies will be jealous when you show them at the next meeting.

Enjoy in good health!

Old 03-29-2021, 06:06 PM
TJ74
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Since I decided to buy a Porsche my plan was to do European delivery. I think my allocation will become available around 3/31and was told it should be a June build. When I place the actual order I am going to see how realistic European delivery is looking, but the way things are going, especially in Europe/Germany I am not too optimistic.
If I were to do ED my plan was to pick the car up in Leipzig, get some track time in one Porsche’s cars at the factory, then drive down to the Nurburgring and hopefully be able to get on the track, then drop the car back at Leipzig.
I had not really thought about PPF if doing ED, but rather than paying for the factory PPF I would look into throwing on some Xpel Trackwrap and then have a trusted local PPF installer wrap the car when it gets home. I saw a thread about the factory PPF and the reviews weren’t great. Trackwrap probably won’t be pretty, but as long as it does it’s job it would be more economical than the $2k or whatever the factory option is only to be removed when it gets home.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:23 PM
mallocfailure
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

When I did European Delivery on my 981 Cayman GTS, I specifically asked the Porsche gentleman during delivery at the factory in Zuffenhausen about break-in. He suggested that the break-in period recommendation varies from country to country despite them all coming off of the same line with the same components, implying it was lawyer-based and not engineering-based. I did avoid pushing it hard for the first couple hundred kilometers - mostly while I was getting the feel for it. But, you know, autobahn, new sports car..... there's only so much temptation one can resist.

I highly recommend ED. In particular the roads in France through Provence were empty, twisty, smooth, and beautiful.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:13 AM
540gone
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

JUST DO IT. I have taken ED 7 times between 1983 & 2014, but all with either MB or BMW. While each was a different experience, each was wonderful. I was scheduled for my first Porsche ED (my current 992) on April 7th last year & the car was finished on Feb 28th. I have never been so disappointed to receive the letter on April 12th informing me of the Covid related cancellation of the program. It was so close I had already received the “info packet” of stuff – hotel & taxi vouchers, a beautiful ED grill badge, etc. The car finally made it to my dealer for delivery here on May 29th. Man, would I have loved to drive the roughly 1,500 mile route I had planned on the beautiful “B” roads in Europe.

The answer to your original question “is it too complicated” is entirely subjective. If you enjoy European travel and want a truly great driving experience, then it is absolutely worth it. Yes it takes longer, yes you have to pay for the car before you get it, yes you will go nuts tracking the car as it travel back to the US, but so what if you really want to do it.

As for break-in, as others have said, give it a couple hundred miles or so at varying speeds & RPMs with lots of braking (mainly to bed the brakes and let the tires shed their greasy “release compound”), then make sure the oil is hot & ensure the rev limiter works properly.

It will be an experience you will remember for a lifetime!!
Old 03-30-2021, 01:28 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

I didn't do ED but had my salesman got me museum and factory tour access after delivery. Well worth the trip!
Old 03-30-2021, 02:58 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 168 Posts

ED is not complicated at all. Just ask your dealer to add that option to your build. Check with Porsche Travel if you want their help making arrangements. Be sure to get an international drivers license at AAA before you leave. Porsche adds no cost for ED and it includes insurance and a hotel for one night as well as a factory tour and a nice meal. After they show you your car they will take as much time as you want to go over how things work. Make sure you have a safe place to park each night; hotels often help and Porsche Travel makes sure you are OK. My trip was fantastic. I booked the "Castles Tour" which had us staying in a castle every night. My wife and I drove first to Salzburg Austria the day we picked up the car. Then on to Lucerne Switzerland, then to Paris and finally back to Rothenberg in the Black Forest region of Germany before returning to Zuffenhausen to drop off the car. You will not regret it.
The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 03:14 PM
sfy1505
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 37 Posts

In my experience, ED is not complicated. For me, its fun to do the travel planning, the driving routes, etc. I even have enjoyed tracking the shipment home. I have done ED with BMW, MB and Porsche and all were different and enjoyable in their own way. When I picked up my 2017 Targa 4S in Zuffenhausen in late April, it was actually snowing as we left the collection area and after the museum tour headed to Munich via the (A8?) autobahn. I was nervous for about the first hour (heavy traffic and the temp hovering at freezing) but after that all was well. I had already made sure that each hotel had secure parking and made friends with every doorman. After about ten days of driving fun and several other towns, we deposited the Targa at the Leipzig plant for its trip home. You can leave your car at either Porsche plant for for its free trip home, as well as being able to get factory tours and museum tours (either location) and track time if you want in Leipzig. I am planning another Targa delivery this fall if COVID will just cooperate. I think its an experience you should not pass up if you have the chance.

Quick Reply: Is Euro delivery too complicated?