Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 06:55 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Is the rear view camera assembly easy to remove or does removal require the entire rear bumper to be removed?

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-25-2022 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:17 AM
AventurineMan
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've NEVER had as much trouble backing up a car than in this one. I can wheel my 2019 Tacoma anywhere I want. My Audi RS5, no problem. With this car, IMO... the trajectory lines combined with the red bar (that moves / skews) account for my struggles. Image quality is fine.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:30 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 210 Posts

I have found with the Porsche back up cameras you have to try and focus your eye more on the near part of the image (lower 1/4 to 1/2) than the far. The far distortion can be so bad it at a glance it can make your brain think the whole image is distorted in some scenarios.

In the OP image, it’s an open parking area with very little going on in the near, thus the eyes focus to the house and trees in the distance which have the worst distortion.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:41 PM
Psinclair
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to remove the rear bumper to get to the camera.

The camera module for rear view is a completely different part than the camera used if you have surround view. They wire into different modules in the car. If you have surround view, the camera has a single coax connection that goes to the Zfas module in the frunk. If you don't have surround view, the rear camera includes a small controller in it, has a few more wires to power and control it, and is wired directly to the multimedia controller up under the dash.

Thus, the cameras are not interchangeable.

That said, I don't know if the two versions have different resolutions or fish eye effects.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:53 PM
dmorean
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Canera Taycan Fisheye

Agreed the reverse camera on the Taycan is the worst, by far, rear view camera I have encountered. The distortion and fisheye make cars 20 feet away look like you'e about to hit. The reverse cameras are much better in every other car my my family has owned (Ford, Lincoln, Jeep, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Tesal). I love my Taycan and build quality other than this is excellent. Has anyone found a way to have a better reverse camera installed? Not interested in hearing how I should get used to it...I won't...it sucks. I'm very interested in hearing if anyone has been able to upgrade.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:05 PM
Daytona67
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dmorean
Agreed the reverse camera on the Taycan is the worst, by far, rear view camera I have encountered. The distortion and fisheye make cars 20 feet away look like you'e about to hit. The reverse cameras are much better in every other car my my family has owned (Ford, Lincoln, Jeep, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Tesal). I love my Taycan and build quality other than this is excellent. Has anyone found a way to have a better reverse camera installed? Not interested in hearing how I should get used to it...I won't...it sucks. I'm very interested in hearing if anyone has been able to upgrade.
So true - my Taycan rear camera was so bad, I never got used to it. I kept thinking I was about to hit something but I was far away. Hoping my incoming T is better but not holding my breath.

Quick Reply: Rear camera