Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taycan get a software update, but nothing for the 911?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 09:07 PM
smartbot
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Taycan get a software update, but nothing for the 911?!

Seems like Porsche is busy updating the software for the Taycan. It's been over a year and nothing for the 911 (except for the map updates). I wonder if they will ever update the software? I was hoping for more consistent updates...

*Article: https://jalopnik.com/porsches-taycan...d-m-1846535764
Old 03-24-2021, 09:39 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 444 Posts

My car updated itself a week ago while I was driving.
The following users liked this post:
mobilis (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 10:53 PM
Vsapra
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
My car updated itself a week ago while I was driving.
that was a maps update last week, right?

992 always had wireless CarPlay so maybe the Taycan was brought to the same version as 992?

Old 03-25-2021, 10:13 AM
ronflax
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

On the Taycan, Porsche is competing with Tesla who routinely provide over the air software updates. Funny how the Taycan update takes *2 DAYS* in the shop to complete. I have received software updates to my 992, these have provided very minor visible updates to the instrument cluster symbols (the one for daytime running lights - white headlight symbol vs green, the image for when wet driving conditions has been detected got updated, etc.) These updates occurred at the dealership though, not over the air. I have noticed multiple map updates over the air though. The last PCM update did indeed provide better CarPlay connection reliability, at least it did for me. I'd love to see an update that allows me to access the garage door button when the car is in reverse while the backup camera is active!
The following 4 users liked this post by ronflax:
jfr0317 (05-10-2021), NigelPlays (03-25-2021), Nothingtoc (05-10-2021), Zanotti (05-10-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 11:45 AM
mathus7
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

My 992 was delivered in October 2019. Since then there have been several over the air map updates and several software updates at dealer. In addition it appears that Porsche has performed several software updates on their server for the PCM system that have not been disclosed to the owners, some of which require owners to re-set their settings in car. This has been somewhat annoying. These surprises, however,seem to have settled down with few surprises in past few months.Porsche needs to improve communications to owners on content of these updates as to what has been revised and if owner settings need to be addressed. The most common effect of the "surprises" had been the need to re-register connection to Porche connect server.

Camera, computer/smart phone and audio/video companies have been much better on communications as to what software updates do.

Last edited by mathus7; 03-25-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:30 PM
Jatt911
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i received a letter in the mail saying there is a software update and to contact the dealer. taking mine in tomorrow. I would reach out to your dealer.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:10 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Jatt911
i received a letter in the mail saying there is a software update and to contact the dealer. taking mine in tomorrow. I would reach out to your dealer.
Had my update done about a week ago - took about an hour. Described as a PCM software update (wlk9 recall). The letter I received said the update incuded:
- Easier programming of the garage door opener
- Optimized display and use of the voice assistant and voice recognition
- Improved activation of WiFi hotspot
- Correction of automatic daylight saving time changeover
- Easier Nav destination input via keyword search
Hope there was more than that.... They also performed a re-programming of the PDK control unit (described as wlp0 recall) which I was unaware of and noticed only when I got home and looked at the service order. Again, not sure exactly what that was about and haven't gotten back to the service manager yet to ask. Build date was October 2020.

Last edited by dgtarga; 05-10-2021 at 05:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jatt911 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 05:40 PM
Jatt911
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
Had my update done about a week ago - took about an hour. Described as a PCM software update (wlk9 recall). The letter I received said the update incuded:
- Easier programming of the garage door opener
- Optimized display and use of the voice assistant and voice recognition
- Improved activation of WiFi hotspot
- Correction of automatic daylight saving time changeover
- Easier Nav destination input via keyword search
Hope there was more than that.... They also performed a re-programming of the PDK control unit (described as wlp0 recall) which I was unaware of and noticed only when I got home and looked at the service order. Again, not sure exactly what that was about and haven't gotten back to the service manager yet to ask. Build date was October 2020.
Yes i recieved the same letter 2021 carrera S. Did the pcm display change at all after the update?
Old 05-10-2021, 05:48 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Yes i recieved the same letter 2021 carrera S. Did the pcm display change at all after the update?
No, I really haven't noticed any changes. Display's the same and haven't noticed any real change in functionality - but I don't use the functions listed in the letter very often and haven't had to reprogram any garage door openers. All the same inconveniences of the HomeLink setup are still there...

Old 05-10-2021, 08:53 PM
LASDSGT770
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 196 Posts

We had the same update last week...Took about an hour as letter stated...The only issue we had was when we saw the Tech drive out the driveway as if he was Lewis Hamilton...Always wondered how the mechanics drive our babies when we are not looking. We have not noticed any changes. All our settings are the same.

Quick Reply: Taycan get a software update, but nothing for the 911?!