Sponsored by:

Base base base 911. Too minimal? Request for comments

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021 | 11:28 PM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Default Base base base 911. Too minimal? Request for comments

Hello!

I am only just waiting for an allocation for an MY2022 at my dealer (SF Bay Area) but need to finalize my build (in my mind at least) so I can get into busy season at work and not lose my job before my slot is allocated and build locks... I'm already at 10 hours a week on the configurator and it needs to stop. I respect the opinions and engagement on this site immensely and would love input on my configuration thus far.

I'm looking for a BASE 911 — I want a 911 I can enjoy, push, and not kill myself in (or because I left out an option.) I hope to stay true to the brand and motorsport heritage while making space for my life (long commute, SF streets, dog, etc.) I love the B roads from here to SoCal, but many of them have large gravel segments.

I'm happy to present my build and request comments, critique, and overall impressions from other 992 owners. Many thanks up front, even if you disagree. http://www.porsche-code.com/PM3IXJM0

Base Price 911 Carrera

I know the C2S opens up the MT (and mechanical LSD) as option that is definitely more true to the 911 name but I fell in love with the PDK. And if I'm going to do a PDK, the base is the car for me. I would kill myself in the S in a week with a PDK and Sport Chrono.

Exterior Color: White

I really love how the flat, non-metallic, colors look on 911s. Considering that the 992 has a lot of 930-throwback design elements, I personally think it fits the bill to pick a flat color.

And until this model, the cup cars came in flat White. But... speaking of cup car, maybe this is the body style to get a 911 in GT Silver?

I also love the flat-ness of Chalk but I can't tell if future generations will love it or be glad to see it gone.

Interior Color: Leather Interior in Black with Chalk Stitching and Checkered Sport-Tex Seat Centers

I like how the Sport-Tex is similar to Pepita but I don't have to pay an arm for an Exclusive interior. I also like the idea of a cooler material—an alternate to ventilated seats in CA summers. Others on they forum have expressed the durability of this choice as well (for pets) over leather. I know my lab will be in the car more than once. (That said, I'm still drawn to Truffle and Agave with chalk stitching... especially with the White exterior.)

Exterior: Model Designation Changed to "911"

Hiding that I didn't get an S... and the other logo is too busy for my taste.

Performance 1: 8-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)

If it's good enough for the Turbo and GT3, it's good enough for me.

Performance 2: Sport Chrono Package

Nowadays, all this stuff is SW. I don't like the idea of owning a car that is limited in SW by the build sheet. Also the drive mode selector on the wheel is great. The more I can add to avoid the PCM, the better.

Performance 3: Sport Exhaust System incl. Tailpipes in Black Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Not sure I want a car without this option. I agree with many (that the stock exhaust is loud enough as is) but I know I would regret skipping this option the first time I enter a tunnel.

Performance 4: Extended Range Fuel Tank (23.7 gal.)

I can drive from SF to LA without stopping; I would like it if the car could as well.

Wheels: 19"/20" Carrera Wheels

I'm torn here. Ultimately I know I will keep these tiny rims on 99% of the time. I know they are cheap when purchased after-the-fact as a winter set but I don't think I'll want two sets of rims here in CA. I intend to burn the stock tires out as fast as possible and replace them with larger tires to better fill the gaps and prepare for the gravel roads I love. That would be 245(255?)/40ZR19 up front and 305/35ZR20, shown here compared to the 20/21 options:

Wheel Accessories: Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest

With a white car, some color would be nice.

Lights and Vision 1: Stock headlamps

I have the matrix LEDs (that swivel) on the Cayenne and I do love it. That said, I dislike the chrome ring on all the 911 headlamp options so much that I don't care what features they add.

Also, I noticed that the stock headlamp design matches up well with the Carrera wheels, so I'm sold there.

Lights and Vision 2: Lightweight and Noise Insulated Glass

I like long road trips, I am selecting this in hopes that it will be worth the cost.

Comfort and Assistance Systems: Lane Change Assist (LCA)

Cheaper than an accident. My other cars have made me dependent on this.

Interior 1: Ionizer

I honestly don't understand this option but in today's world, can't be a bad idea. Unless... it's more maintenance than a standard air filter; $350 one-time cost? Sure. $350 every year? Count me out.

Interior 2: Ambient Lighting

With a black interior, I would imagine more lights are better than less. Also, I love red interiors on road trips; easy on the eyes.

Interior 3: Sport Seats Plus (4-way)

Required for Sport-Tex. I sat in both (SS and SSP) and don't prefer one more than the other.

Interior Leather: Porsche Crest on Headrests Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Love the look. Without just looks too blank to me.

Am I crazy? Is this TOO stock?

Thank you for listening to my babble and reviewing the most important and exciting purchase of my life with me!
The following 3 users liked this post by Daft Chief:
La Carrera (04-03-2021), RedTide (03-22-2021), sanford (04-25-2021)
Old 03-21-2021 | 11:40 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

I say you do you. We have all spent too much time on the configure. Everyone here will tell you something is important or not important. Many threads on it. It's best to just get what you want.

I think the options you selected makes sense based on what your saying. So giddy up 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by ChalkThe911:
AlexCeres (03-22-2021), Nothingtoc (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021 | 12:49 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

This is your first 911? If so be assured they’re great gravel road cars, don’t be worried about that.
Old 03-22-2021 | 01:15 AM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
I say you do you. We have all spent too much time on the configure. Everyone here will tell you something is important or not important. Many threads on it. It's best to just get what you want.

I think the options you selected makes sense based on what your saying. So giddy up 👍
Thanks, I figured as much, but I am curious if I missed something....

Originally Posted by aggie57
This is your first 911? If so be assured they’re great gravel road cars, don’t be worried about that.
Yep! First 911, 3rd Pcar. Thanks, I do think I would enjoy 4+" of sidewall more than the 20/21 tire options though. Perhaps this is misguided.
The following users liked this post:
ChalkThe911 (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021 | 01:39 AM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Actually, based on this post https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1001...l#post14415002 by @Ski Porsche (thank you) I'm probably going to option Chalk for an otherwise base, layman's build. I need to stop thinking about this.

Old 03-22-2021 | 01:54 AM
SamD
Racer

The Bose might be helpful on the LA drives (and elsewhere).
La Carrera (04-03-2021)
Old 03-22-2021 | 01:58 AM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamD
The Bose might be helpful on the LA drives (and elsewhere).
Ah, this thread seems to agree but I hadn't looked until your suggestion. Thanks, will do!
Old 03-22-2021 | 02:03 AM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

1600 for Bose isn't bad, at that!! Maybe I was thinking of the Burmester... but I had clearly misremembered it being pricier and am definitely starting to unsee things, having spent so much time in the Configurator.
spyderweb (03-23-2021)
Old 03-22-2021 | 05:18 AM
KG-Virus
Intermediate

In my opinion you should add :

1. Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
2. Bose Audio System
3. Surround View

otherwise your spec is great
The following 3 users liked this post by KG-Virus:
jdanza22 (03-23-2021), M3Inline6 (06-06-2021), Nothingtoc (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021 | 07:21 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Well, as an aspiring 992 buyer I've dabbled in the configurator like many of us 991.2 drivers...and these comments will not help you finalize your decision.

No memory seats? I find it's not the memory so much (I'm the only driver, my wife does not drive my car) as the comfort access feature. That plus the fact the car remembers all the radio, heat/AC, display and so forth settings in addition to the seats that make it very convenient. Anyway, I'd have that and the 14 ways over the 4 ways if it were up to me.

Bose is a no brainer, while the stock stereo is great, the Bose in my car is a big step up in power/wattage and number of speakers (9 vs. 4). I am obviously not sure if the same upgrade takes place in the 992, but if you are at all an audiophile and enjoy listening to music on trips I would definitely check that box.

I didn't see if you added the heated/cooled seats; but here in FL they are almost a requirement. Maybe in Northern Cali not so much; but if they are automatic in the 992, like on my wife's Lexus, that would be supercool. Lexus' implementation is almost seamless; the seats automatically come on with heat or air flow depending on ambient temperature as well as interior temperature setting. It works very well. Even if they are manual, I really like having them.

No adaptive cruise? With a PDK? I find ACC extremely helpful on trips and use it almost every time I drive her Lexus. The radar function of the car in station keeping works extremely well, in particular at night when vision is reduced. The car reacts faster than I can.

The Heritage Design Floor mats are a zero cost option, and might look good with your interior. At $0, maybe you want to look at these.

Another zero cost option you did not check is the "Storage Package". This adds a luggage net in the front passenger seat and storage area.

That's it as far as objective comments go.

As to subjective, you should order what you want. Having said that, there seem to be a lot of options on your list which don't, really, affect function, or you are not sure about. (Model designation delete, colored wheel caps, ionizer, ambient lighting (ok well at least that's functional) and crest on the headrests?). That all just seems like a bunch of doodads? If you want to reallocate money in the build, I would delete all that stuff for something more useful; personalization is not appealing to a base car buyer down the road and may make it a little harder to sell later. This is not a huge deal, obviously if you have thought about and really like these options, great, but I can tell you as a frequent buyer myself I look much more at the hard features (sunroof or lack, MT vs. PDK, etc.) that the little stuff in a pre-owned car.

Good luck!

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 03-22-2021 at 07:32 AM.
Schorsch (05-01-2021)
Old 03-22-2021 | 07:45 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Build looks good to me except Bose is a must. You'll be able to appreciate it more with the noise insulated glass as well.
Old 03-22-2021 | 08:24 AM
colegno
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheStanman
Build looks good to me except Bose is a must. You'll be able to appreciate it more with the noise insulated glass as well.
There's a stop sale in force on the noise insulated glass. Just saved OP $1250 which he can put towards 14 way seats. :-}
Definitely get the Bose. I'm not a fan of the look of the stock wheels so would upgrade them to 21/20's and you
might want to consider adding the sliding glass roof if for no other reason than resale. I like the extra light it lets into the cabin.
Nice build!
Old 03-22-2021 | 08:26 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

This is a very good build, IMO, for a back to basics approach.

Personally, I'd scratch the ionizer and Ambient lighting and I would add Bose.

Otherwise, looks good. I like that you kept the smaller wheels. I suspect the car will be more fun to drive with them and I also think they match up better, aesthetically, with the smaller brake rotors.

Last edited by rk-d; 03-22-2021 at 08:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
Dan Nagy (03-22-2021), M3Inline6 (06-06-2021)
Old 03-22-2021 | 09:02 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

White looks good on the 911. Your build looks reasonable, but I would add the Bose. I like a sunroof and you need it for the roof rack option, but don’t think that’s an issue for you. I also enjoy opening the sunroof and windows for the air and exhaust note.

If I didn’t care about a sunroof, I’d think about the 718 GTS, too.
kwikit356 (04-03-2021)
Old 03-22-2021 | 09:51 AM
WCE
User

Exclamation

GT steering wheel adds a little thickness if you prefer that and white tach ring will add a little pop (although apparently slightly less legible) - two cheap additions that improve the driver's cockpit IMO.
Bose is overpriced but still worth it. Manual seats mean no front of seat height adjustment - make sure it's comfortable for you. Sunroof is great in these cars and a feature not always available in sports cars.
Not sure if up sizing the diameter of the tires is a good idea, and keep this car off gravel roads please!
And by the way, for everyone's benefit, it's SOLID color paint (or non-metallic) which is still glossy not "flat"!

Quick Reply: Base base base 911. Too minimal? Request for comments