Sponsored by:

Diamond button for Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 07:05 AM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
With what they've done to homelink on this car the right answer seems to be to use an old fashioned door opener stashed someplace in the car...
it felt quite liberating to remove all the homelink BS, use the diamond buttons for something else and just put the remote back on the visor. Works... every... single... time.
The following 4 users liked this post by dribar:
Gojumatt (04-01-2022), kgs365 (03-30-2022), markchristenson (03-18-2021), sanford (03-30-2022)
Old 03-18-2021, 08:44 AM
JCH997
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TK42ONE
I thought about that but wanted to keep the camera up while backing and shut the door. 1st world problems...lol
I now back into the garage. It solves this problem. Also, if the lithium battery dies, the electrics will be easier to access and it will be easier to tow the car out of the garage because the tow hook is accessible at the front. I've also found it makes it a lot easier for me to clean the windshield - a pet peeve. Because the windshield faces outdoors, it's easier for me to see the streaks and smudges against the light than when the car faces the back of the garage. It's taking me time to get used to backing into the garage firehouse style, but I am getting used to it and with the mirrors and all the parking assists it's not that tricky,
Old 03-18-2021, 09:14 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

Siri opens my garage door. It's about time she did something useful.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:33 AM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dadams1598
What I don’t like is when backing out of the garage the rear view camera is on which is what we want but I can’t get to Homelink to shut the door until I am moving forward and rear camera turns off. Any suggestions on how to get a home link to come up while I am backing out so I can close the garage door before I get too far alway?
While you're backing out and the rear camera pops up over the Homelink profile screen there's a little 'X' in the upper left corner of the display that you should press that will remove the camera. Sometimes I have to hit that X twice but after you do that the rear camera view will be gone and the Homelink profile screen will be there. The X is small and maybe I have to hit it twice because my finger doesn't quite get it square in the middle but it's super annoying that every time I leave my garage I have to do that.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:09 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
For me, I find it works best with just having the double-wide Homelink button on my Homescreen. It will show the right profile when I am nearby and makes it a one touch affair.
How do you do this? This sounds like the best option...
Old 03-30-2022, 09:19 AM
BKAT
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
How do you do this? This sounds like the best option...
I programmed the diamond button on my steering wheel to operate my garage door opener. That way I don’t have to X out the rearview camera
The following users liked this post:
audi4t (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 09:58 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 827 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by BKAT
I programmed the diamond button on my steering wheel to operate my garage door opener. That way I don’t have to X out the rearview camera
me too

although homelink is very temperamental - a momentary tap appears to work better than a long push 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Old 03-30-2022, 10:13 AM
fstezaws
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dribar
it felt quite liberating to remove all the homelink BS, use the diamond buttons for something else and just put the remote back on the visor. Works... every... single... time.
This is what I did. I back out very quickly after car starting and I hated waiting for the PCM to boot. I have a manual garage door button inside the drivers rear-most pocket, clipped in and I just reach over and press a button. No rattles either during driving.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:39 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by audi4t
me too

although homelink is very temperamental - a momentary tap appears to work better than a long push 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
For those with a 2022 (PCM 6.0) - home link was changed to enable a programable button (like the steering wheel diamond) to allow for one push activation. My 2020 992 this programmable button only brought up the PCM screen, then you had to push the on screen button, and if you were in reverse - it would not show up until you X out of the backup camera view or go out of reverse.

The new 2022 PCM 6.0 now allows the push of a defined button and will send the signal without the hassle of bringing up the screen on the PCM, and also works when in reverse, etc. A much better implementation that the PCM 5.0 for sure...
Old 03-30-2022, 12:38 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Sounds like an improvement but heaven only knows what was wrong with a physical button……
Old 03-30-2022, 12:53 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
For those with a 2022 (PCM 6.0) - home link was changed to enable a programable button (like the steering wheel diamond) to allow for one push activation. My 2020 992 this programmable button only brought up the PCM screen, then you had to push the on screen button, and if you were in reverse - it would not show up until you X out of the backup camera view or go out of reverse.

The new 2022 PCM 6.0 now allows the push of a defined button and will send the signal without the hassle of bringing up the screen on the PCM, and also works when in reverse, etc. A much better implementation that the PCM 5.0 for sure...
In my case that shortcut does not work, but I believe this is because I have two doors assigned. Accordingly, when pushing the Steering Wheel Diamond button, the home link screen comes up with both doors and I then have to press the one on the touch screen that I want to operate. Presumable, I have to delete one door to get to the “one-touch” operation, but that defeats the purpose for me to have both doors (single and double garage adjacent to each other) programmed.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:43 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
In my case that shortcut does not work, but I believe this is because I have two doors assigned. Accordingly, when pushing the Steering Wheel Diamond button, the home link screen comes up with both doors and I then have to press the one on the touch screen that I want to operate. Presumable, I have to delete one door to get to the “one-touch” operation, but that defeats the purpose for me to have both doors (single and double garage adjacent to each other) programmed.
I should have mentioned, yes you can only have 1 door assigned, as it will not know which one to trigger the remote opening to. Which is a bit of a pain if you have multiple doors you want to open/park in different doors in your garage.

The other tip I have shared back when I had my 2020 992. If you program your homelink - do it quite a bit away from your garage door. (This applies to PCM 5.0 and 6.0)

I did mine about 60 yards down my driveway. This allows for a few things: When coming into your drive, you will get the notification early and can activate it earlier. The big one is, as most may be reversing out of your garage. You will pull out of the garage, put it in drive and the reverse camera would go off before you hit the GPS spot you programed it in and you can active the close then.

The other side benefit you get - is by doing it well outside your garage, you then get better satellite coverage (you should have the car on for several minutes before you program) - to make sure you get the best GPS location activation. It does take a bit of time to get the full satellite connection.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
aggie57 (03-30-2022), German1967 (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 05:16 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 827 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace

Agree - I programmed the steering wheel button on my 2022 922 to activate homelink for my garage door - theoretically one tap and done
But it doesn't work that way - I don't know if the radio signal is too weak or PCM is the problem.
Sometimes it works most times not !!!
It's frustrating that a car costing 6 figures, with sophisticated engineering, can't incorporate a simple device that works yet I can buy a $5 Chinese device from Amazon that works every time
Old 03-31-2022, 01:15 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Yes, you can do this.
I can't tell you exactly what I did to set this up, but I believe it's in the vehicle menu.
Ours is a 2022 model, so I don't know if this relates to any software upgrades.

Quick Reply: Diamond button for Homelink