Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992S meets BMW i8

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021 | 09:56 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Default 992S meets BMW i8

I'm in the Porsche going to work today (which Porsche, right?), the 992 S. Beautiful day out, I can put the top down at lunchtime. Leave the Cayenne GTS at home. As I am headed to work on Telegraph Road a BMW i8 hybrid carbon fiber jobbie blows by me in the left lane. I mean FAST. I was doing 45, he had to be doing 80. But he catches the stoplight ahead, at the bottom of the hill leading into a series of climbing sweepers. A slow Corolla is in the left lane, he is in the right and so I line up behind him.. Then I do what any Porsche-loving car enthusiast does, I say to myself "Just let him go and keep enjoying your stereo". Right. I flick the Sport Chrono **** to SPORT PLUS, game on.

As expected, he floors it off the line, he knows what's behind him. That i8 launches quickly, the electric motors just make it go "right now" as I'm futzing around getting the Porsche going and not frying my clutch in the process. He's out to a 6 -car lead, but as soon as I catch second in the 992S, it's a forgone conclusion, I suck him up like a Dyson vacuum cleaner on high. We come into the climbing sweepers and he's trying to hold me off, but I can tell he has no track time and doesn't know how to take a sweeper at speed. He falters by tapping his brakes and crossing over the dividing line as I shoot by him on the inside lane and it's game over. I just put him in the mirror after that.

What a car. My 991.S could never have done that. NEVER. This 992 S is so well planted, so capable and so stable with the PDCC engaged and the Rear Wheel Steering, and the PASM locked down that there is no drama, it just flies. What a chassis! What an engine!

And here's my other observation. This is all the car I can handle. It's so fast, so powerful, that anything more would be quicker than I could react to it. After decades of track driving, instructing, autocross wins and so on, I have no desire or need for anything faster. I think it would take a young man with lightning reflexes and keen eyes who is highly trained with quite a bit of track / racing experience to hustle a GT3 or Turbo 992 the way I was driving this one. So if you are wondering if a 992 S is fast enough for you, I'm pretty sure it will be if you really wind one out.

This is my 6th 911. They make them better and better with each generation. Believe it.

Last edited by drcollie; 03-10-2021 at 12:44 PM.
The following 17 users liked this post by drcollie:
Carcam (03-10-2021), coastal (03-10-2021), Dan Nagy (03-10-2021), drgav2005 (03-10-2021), G650 (03-10-2021), Gando (03-11-2021), Hormazd Dalal (03-10-2021), markjeansonne (03-10-2021), ronflax (03-10-2021), Russian Mafia (03-10-2021), SamD (03-10-2021), SBAD (03-10-2021), Tanqueray86 (03-10-2021), TK42ONE (03-10-2021), Todd C (03-10-2021), Tupper (03-10-2021), yargable (03-10-2021) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-10-2021 | 10:00 AM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Originally Posted by drcollie
I'm in the Porsche going to work today (which Porsche, right?), the 992 S. Beautiful day out, I can put the top down at lunchtime. Leave the Cayenne GTS at home. As I am headed to work on Telegraph Road a BMW i8 hybrid carbon fiber jobbie blows by me in the left lane. I mean FAST. I was doing 45, he had to be doing 80. But he catches the stoplight ahead, at the bottom of the hill leading into a series of climbing sweepers. A slow Corolla is in the left lane, he is in the right and so I line up behind him.. Then I do what any Porsche-loving car enthusiast does, I say to myself "Just let him go and keep enjoying your stereo". Right. I flick the Sport Chrono **** to SPORT PLUS, game on.

As expected, he floors if off the line, he knows what's behind him. That i8 launches quickly, the electric motors just make that it go "right now" as I'm futzing around getting the Porsche going and not frying my clutch in the process. He's out to a 6 -car lead, but as soon as I catch second in the 992S, it's a forgone conclusion, I suck him up like a Dyson vacuum cleaner on high. We come into the climbing sweepers and he's trying to hold me off, but I can tell he has no track time and doesn't know how to take a sweeper at speed. He falters by tapping his brakes and crossing over the dividing line as I shoot by him on the inside lane and it's game over. I just put him in the mirror after that.

What a car. My 991.S could never have done that. NEVER. This 992 S is so well planted, so capable and so stable with the PDCC engaged and the Rear Wheel Steering, and the PASM locked down that there is no drama, it just flies. What a chassis! What an engine!

And here's my other observation. This is all the car I can handle. It's so fast, so powerful, that anything more would be quicker than I could react to it. After decades of track driving, instructing, autocross wins and so on, I have no desire or need for anything faster. I think it would take a young man with lightning reflexes and keen eyes who is highly trained with quite a bit of track / racing experience to hustle a GT3 or Turbo 992 the way I was driving this one. So if you are wondering if a 992 S is fast enough for you, I'm pretty sure it will be if you really wind one out.

This is my 6th 911. They make them better and better with each generation. Believe it.
I love it. I’ve seen a few i8 in fairfax area and all have been tame drivers. It’s the idiots in Cameros and Challengers in the area (especially with MD plates) that really bothers me with their driving and noise.

I had a similar situation with a 5.0GT on 395, where he was right on my ***, so I get on the right lane and let him pass. Then I get on the first lane and floor it. Loud 5.0GT is trying but can’t get away from me, so I let him zigzag away in shame.

Last edited by Tanqueray86; 03-10-2021 at 10:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tanqueray86:
markjeansonne (03-10-2021), TK42ONE (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021 | 11:55 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't have RAS. Does that mean that I couldn't have pulled that off (if I had the skills)?
Old 03-10-2021 | 11:56 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
I don't have RAS. Does that mean that I couldn't have pulled that off (if I had the skills)?
I sure you could have!
Old 03-10-2021 | 12:40 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Great story. I can see me doing exactly this "as I'm futzing around getting the Porsche going and not frying my clutch in the process.". Well written
The following users liked this post:
markchristenson (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021 | 12:42 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I honestly can't believe you live in Virginia and have the ***** to do that kind of street racing, with all of the horror stories I hear about Virginia police and speeders
The following 2 users liked this post by Tupper:
sexfiend (03-11-2021), Zanotti (03-11-2021)
Old 03-10-2021 | 12:56 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

I've got a friend with an i8. Its a funny thing... not the fastest, sexiest, best sounding or most advanced car, but I do find there to be something special about it. Not sure I would want to own one but its a really fun car that can be had at some pretty great price points with low mileage. I dig it.

But yeah... It shouldn't be giving your S a run for its money.
Old 03-10-2021 | 12:59 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tupper
I honestly can't believe you live in Virginia and have the ***** to do that kind of street racing, with all of the horror stories I hear about Virginia police and speeders
That was going to be my exact response. I drive like an old lady whenever I am in Virginia.

Old 03-10-2021 | 01:42 PM
but did you die
Racer

I met a beautiful 50th anniversary 991.1 at a stop light yesterday. That cream color...very retro with the Fuchs style wheels. No one around, open road ahead...just enough time for us to look at each other and smile before the green. I thought to myself...this never happens! I didn't have time to setup launch control I just punched it in S+. Its amazing what a single generation of development can bring...simply no contest. I let off after he was about 10+ car lengths back then flashed the hazards like a true juvenile street racer LOL. He kept going and flew by me...I'll tell you what though, his sounded a lot better on the flyby!
The following 5 users liked this post by but did you die:
drcollie (03-10-2021), G650 (03-10-2021), Russian Mafia (03-10-2021), SamD (03-10-2021), Tupper (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021 | 01:48 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ I met a 991 (couldn't tell if it was .1 or .2) driver yesterday as well.

He waved as he drove by, but too much traffic for us to do any racing.

Plus I had just gotten pulled over by a cop 20 minutes before so I was still shaken from that (see other thread where I mentioned that)....
Old 03-10-2021 | 02:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I dunno.

Not sure I would take any glee in outgunning a PHEV with a powertrain and chassis that is nearing a decade old with a 911 that has just been recently redesigned from end-to-end, top to bottom.
detansinn (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021 | 04:17 PM
SBAD
Pro

Originally Posted by drcollie

As expected, he floors it off the line, he knows what's behind him. That i8 launches quickly, the electric motors just make it go "right now" as I'm futzing around getting the Porsche going and not frying my clutch in the process. He's out to a 6 -car lead, but as soon as I catch second in the 992S, it's a forgone conclusion, I suck him up like a Dyson vacuum cleaner on high. We come into the climbing sweepers and he's trying to hold me off, but I can tell he has no track time and doesn't know how to take a sweeper at speed. He falters by tapping his brakes and crossing over the dividing line as I shoot by him on the inside lane and it's game over. I just put him in the mirror after that.

Just curious, how exactly do you take a sweeper at speed?...
Old 03-10-2021 | 07:15 PM
phobos512
6th Gear

I hope your *** gets thrown in jail, you and the i8 driver. Don't pull that crap on roads I drive with my son and wife. Or that anyone drives on with their family. Take it to the track. You can clearly afford a day at Summit Point. It's not that far.
The following 2 users liked this post by phobos512:
flyfisher (03-10-2021), sexfiend (03-11-2021)
Old 03-10-2021 | 07:26 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Wait until the Tesla Fanbois get their Model S Plaids delivered...they are going to be looking to race.
sexfiend (03-11-2021)
Old 03-10-2021 | 07:55 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malba2366
Wait until the Tesla Fanbois get their Model S Plaids delivered...they are going to be looking to race.
Yeah, but they learn pretty quickly that while the cars are great off of the line, highway speed acceleration (especially above 70-80MPH) of Tesla cars is nothing to write home about. There is a reason that they tout 0-60 speeds. 😜

Quick Reply: 992S meets BMW i8