Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992S meets BMW i8

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021 | 07:09 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

dup

Last edited by drcollie; 03-11-2021 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2021 | 08:03 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

With street racing, or even pushing the car solo beyond 6/10s, the primary unknowns in the equation - what other drivers are going to do and what the road conditions are around the next bend - create a risk and danger level much greater than you’ll find on a closed course. On the track, you know that if conditions have changed since last time around a corner marshall will let you know well in advance with the appropriate flag. In all the but the novice run groups at DEs and other non-timed events there’s a reasonable expectation that people won’t do anything egregiously stupid, and if drivers in advanced groups are unpredictable yahoos, that knowledge is pretty effectively telegraphed to the group (either formally or informally) and they can be given extra room to drive whatever line they want. In timed events, skill levels increase and aside from legitimate “racing incidents” in corners I’ve found the potential for drama is dramatically reduced.

I’m not in a position to make any judgments on how people drive their high-performance cars on the street as I am as guilty as the next 911 owner of occasionally running a section or two of deserted mountain blacktop as though it were an autocross course. In the city, with other drivers around and deteriorated pavement literally everywhere, I take it WAY easier. In fact, my wife says that 95 percent of the time I drive like her grandma, and only when on a deserted mountain road is there any evidence I have a clue about driving in a spirited and controlled fashion, demonstrating skills learned over decades of racing and instructing (in my case mostly before the turn of the century).

While there are people of all skill levels here, off the track that accounts for almost nothing if you come around a corner at full chat to discover a cement truck has dumped a shi*load of gravel on your line.

Last edited by gcurnew; 04-10-2021 at 09:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021 | 08:12 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Somebody call 911
Old 03-11-2021 | 11:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slc4s
All that said... wish somebody would have held me back at the restaurant after... haha, that food is delicious and we all seriously over ate.
I especially like the butter in the shape of a 911.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
slc4s (03-12-2021), wasabi4 (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021 | 11:46 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slc4s
seems to be instructor dependent... I had a day at PECLA where they let us go every bit as hard as we were comfortable on that little track.... not that you can push it too hard because of the track itself but they definitely didn't hold us back. Been twice and it was the mid-engine vs rear engine experience where they let us go harder. What I wish they would do is time laps. On that track I may have been faster in the Cayman GTS vs the 911 but hard to know.
Originally Posted by aggie57
That's my experience too. I find the first few minutes they assess your level of skill and if they're OK with that then they just let you go for it.
Thats normally the case, but with PECLA implementing lead-follow; you’re at mercy of the instructor ahead of you... which isn’t always a good thing 😳
Old 03-11-2021 | 11:56 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smiles11
Thats normally the case, but with PECLA implementing lead-follow; you’re at mercy of the instructor ahead of you... which isn’t always a good thing 😳
I agree, lets just say this last time the instructor was being very cooperative
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021 | 12:03 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gcurnew
With street racing, or even pushing the car solo beyond 6/10s, the primary unknowns in the equation - what other drivers are going to do and what the road conditions are around the next bend - create a risk and danger level much greater than you’ll find on a closed course. On the track, you know that if conditions have changed since last time around a corner marshall will let you know well in advance with the appropriate flag. In all the but the novice run groups at DEs and other non-timed events there’s a reasonable expectation that people won’t don’t anything egregiously stupid, and if drivers in advanced groups are unpredictable yahoos, that knowledge is pretty effectively telegraphed to the group (either formally or informally) and they can be given extra room to drive whatever line they want. In timed events, skill levels increase and aside from legitimate “racing incidents” in corners I’ve found the potential for drama is dramatically reduced.

I’m not in a position to make any judgments on how people drive their high-performance cars on the street as I am as guilty as the next 911 owner of occasionally running a section or two of deserted mountain blacktop as though it were an autocross course. In the city, with other drivers around and deteriorated pavement literally everywhere, I take it WAY easier. In fact, my wife says that 95 percent of the time I drive like her grandma, and only when on a deserted mountain road is there any evidence I have a clue about drivcnaing in a spirited and controlled fashion, demonstrating skills learned over decades of racing and instructing (in my case mostly before the turn of the century).

While there are people of all skill levels here, off the track that accounts for almost nothing if you come around a corner at full chat to discover a cement truck has dumped a shi*load of gravel on your line.
The drive from Calgary to Banff and then Revelstoke is about as good as is it gets but has its risks.

Quick Reply: 992S meets BMW i8