Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carseat in 992 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 03:54 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,275 Likes on 645 Posts

I just happened to see this today... lots of pics of a car seat loaded in a targa (and one of the sexiest targas around IMO)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQsms8Vl..._web_copy_link
Old 02-19-2023, 12:04 PM
horns
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

What was the final outcome? I'm pondering a targa, but I'll only be able to justify it if I can get the little ones in the back for the occasional ride.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:58 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Targa back seat sucks

Went with a 992 Turbo S Coupe. Went to dealership to test with my son and his WAYB Pico (which is a very small/narrow car seat, highly recommended). The back seat of the Targa really sucks. Not only is it more upright and significantly more narrow than the Coupe, but the position of the Targa hoop makes loading a child much more difficult. I also worried about the Targa hoop’s placement relative to his noggin in a year or so, which is compounded by the lack of top tether hooks, so in a crash there would be more foreword movement of the car seat.

I haven’t looked back since. The Turbo is WAY more car. It’s really a completely different car, where as the Targa is sort of a stylish/glorified sunroof.

Looking to add an ‘89 930 Turbo to solve my need for an MT.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-20-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 09:20 PM
horns
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks. The style of the targa, availability of MT, and rear seats is the draw for me. Sounds like I may need to consider alternatives. Appreciate your insight.
Old 02-19-2023, 11:13 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

If you like the style and MT. Go for it. But I’d just pretend there are no rear seats in your decision framework, or discount them heavily. They’re useless and probably unsafe. And that’s coming from a guy who uses the rear seats in my TTS coupe regularly.
detansinn (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 10:13 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Agreed. They're beautiful, rare, and wonderful, but you're not putting a child seat of any kind back there.
There's probably a 2-3 year window where a kid is a big enough that they don't need a child seat and not too big to fit back there.
For anything else, the Targa is effectively a two seater.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:56 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 163 Posts

Car seat will not fit in a Targa. A car seat fits easily in a coupe and I find it useful for the occasional drive with my Grandson. Front passenger seat is still useable.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:18 PM
Lowdown
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a Targa and have taken MANY rides with my children ages 3-5 in the back seat. My son uses a booster seat and my daughter uses the WayB Pico. I had the coupe beforehand which they fit in as well but as others have stated the rare seats and slightly more sloped in and the Targa bar is slightly lower than the roof of a coupe but in no way shape or form does this prevent my kids from riding in and enjoying the car. They LOVE riding in it.

I have traveled up to 2.5 hours with them in the back and not complaining. I suspect that my son may reach his limit for riding in the back at 9-10 comfortably as he is tall for his height but right now they LOVE it. You cannot put a massive car seat in the back as you would in a normal car and you need to go for the slimmest car seat you can find to make it comfortable for you or the passager in front of the child.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:23 PM
Steelmore
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowdown
I have a Targa and have taken MANY rides with my children ages 3-5 in the back seat. My son uses a booster seat and my daughter uses the WayB Pico. I had the coupe beforehand which they fit in as well but as others have stated the rare seats and slightly more sloped in and the Targa bar is slightly lower than the roof of a coupe but in no way shape or form does this prevent my kids from riding in and enjoying the car. They LOVE riding in it.

I have traveled up to 2.5 hours with them in the back and not complaining. I suspect that my son may reach his limit for riding in the back at 9-10 comfortably as he is tall for his height but right now they LOVE it. You cannot put a massive car seat in the back as you would in a normal car and you need to go for the slimmest car seat you can find to make it comfortable for you or the passager in front of the child.
Much appreciated! I think I'm picking my '23 Targa 4S up on Saturday. My boys are 3 and 6 and are very excited. to ride...
Old 02-22-2023, 11:37 AM
Lowdown
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelmore
Much appreciated! I think I'm picking my '23 Targa 4S up on Saturday. My boys are 3 and 6 and are very excited. to ride...
Just make sure to get the right booster seats and or WayB, it really is the only 5-point harness system that fits nicely in the back. My 3-year-old sits behind me and I am the average height of 5 foot 9 however she is getting pretty close to touching the seat.

Best of luck and your family will build memories for years to come.
Steelmore (02-23-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 04:16 AM
kongolo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very useful info. What model year is your Targa. Thinking about getting a 991.2.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:03 PM
JT-USA
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey @Lowdown,

I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a 992 cab but trying to get comfortable that I can fit a front facing 5 point harness in the rear seats for my toddler. For the WayB Pico, you use the iOS fix/latch system? Obviously there’s top tether latch in the targa or cabriolet setups.

Appreciate any info you can share on the setup you use.

JT
Old 10-05-2023, 08:38 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,275 Likes on 645 Posts

I've taken 3 kids to school almost every day since my targa was delivered. I'm sure they wouldn't love it for a super long ride but for school drop off or short rides to sports and stuff they've been loving it. Kids are 11, 9 and 6. I have a 1 year old too but haven't tried to get him and his carseat in there.

Quick Reply: Carseat in 992 Targa