Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remove original rear haunch ppf for full car ppf?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 11:37 PM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts
Default remove original rear haunch ppf for full car ppf?

my car is about 1 month old and getting full car ppf done. the car is crayon and there is some dirt on the edges of the orignal ppf patch that came installed with the car. installer is saying i can keep and ppf over it (and it will show cos he may not be able to clean all the dirt along the edge perfectly). or he is suggesting i remove the original ppf as its no longer necessary.

after cleaning and before install he will send me a photo to decide to keep or remove.

thoughts?
Old 03-07-2021, 11:45 PM
zmansbr
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rumnyc
my car is about 1 month old and getting full car ppf done. the car is crayon and there is some dirt on the edges of the orignal ppf patch that came installed with the car. installer is saying i can keep and ppf over it (and it will show cos he may not be able to clean all the dirt along the edge perfectly). or he is suggesting i remove the original ppf as its no longer necessary.

after cleaning and before install he will send me a photo to decide to keep or remove.

thoughts?
This is a challenging trade-off. I opted to remove the manufacturer PPF section and just have full PPF installed. I have 1000 miles on my car and I now have about 20 small divots in that area that I believe that the manufacture’s PPF would’ve prevented. I used STEK Dinoshield PPF which is supposed to be pretty darn awesome. However, I think the manufacturer film in that area is much tougher and thicker than most PPF. Though I don’t know what other choice I would’ve had because if I had PPFd over the manufactures film I would’ve had the same 20 divots.The only thing I think they could maybe make sense to prevent visible damage is to somehow reinstall the manufacturers PPF on top of the full body PPF but that seems kind of ridiculous and and I’m not even sure Porsche sells that film as a part. In the end I’m just living with it and not worrying about all those tiny little divots.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:16 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,954 Likes on 5,212 Posts

thoughts?
Yes, definitely.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:46 AM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 245 Posts

Definitely remove the factory film, don’t ppf over it if you are doing full rear quarter. If your installer is even suggesting this, I question if you should get a different installer. If you want, you can double up the film in the high impact area by having installer cut a piece the same size as the factory one.... but it should go on top of the piece covering the full rear quarter.
The following 2 users liked this post by rhr992c4s:
Dan Nagy (03-08-2021), Schwarz992C4S (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 12:49 AM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zmansbr
This is a challenging trade-off. I opted to remove the manufacturer PPF section and just have full PPF installed. I have 1000 miles on my car and I now have about 20 small divots in that area that I believe that the manufacture’s PPF would’ve prevented. I used STEK Dinoshield PPF which is supposed to be pretty darn awesome. However, I think the manufacturer film in that area is much tougher and thicker than most PPF. Though I don’t know what other choice I would’ve had because if I had PPFd over the manufactures film I would’ve had the same 20 divots.The only thing I think they could maybe make sense to prevent visible damage is to somehow reinstall the manufacturers PPF on top of the full body PPF but that seems kind of ridiculous and and I’m not even sure Porsche sells that film as a part. In the end I’m just living with it and not worrying about all those tiny little divots.
Xpel software for plotter can cut a piece identical size to the factory one and and installer can double up the protection in the high impact area.
The following 3 users liked this post by rhr992c4s:
Dan Nagy (03-08-2021), Schwarz992C4S (03-08-2021), speedyj (03-10-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 01:00 AM
zmansbr
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
Xpel software for plotter can cut a piece identical size to the factory one and and installer can double up the protection in the high impact area.
I think there’s two questions here. Whether the PPF will protect the paint from the dings or whether the dings will show at all. The only reason to double up the PPF is for the first concern not the second. I think the manufactures film is tougher than most PPFs out there but that’s just my guess. I suspect that any PPF is going to show dings regardless of whether you put one layer or 20 layers. And I believe one layer will do fine to protect the paint. So anybody that’s getting PPF over the entire car is just gonna have to deal with dings in that area. Happy to hear thoughts otherwise but that’s my theory.

Note with my 1000 miles the dings I’m seeing in this area are not minor things that can heal. They are significant embeddings that don’t even get better with a heat gun.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:10 AM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

A single layer of PPF will probably protect the paint, but it will look like crap quickly. The advantage of doubling up with a 2nd piece the same size as factory is that it can be replaced frequently and cheaply. Porsche does sell the film as a part, not sure what brand they use. It might be 3M. Xpel, Stek, and Suntek
are all better and the computer plotter will cut a piece identical to factory.
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 03:06 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

thats for the advice. spoke to him and he agrees and will order a new porsche ppf and put over the full ppf.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Nagy (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 04:12 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
Definitely remove the factory film, don’t ppf over it if you are doing full rear quarter. If your installer is even suggesting this, I question if you should get a different installer. If you want, you can double up the film in the high impact area by having installer cut a piece the same size as the factory one.... but it should go on top of the piece covering the full rear quarter.
^^ This

thats for the advice. spoke to him and he agrees and will order a new porsche ppf and put over the full ppf.
Good. That means your installer is competent. I had full PPF - the original rear quarter protector was removed, the PPF went on, and then another second layer like the factory piece went on top of that to better protect the rear haunches.

Quick Reply: remove original rear haunch ppf for full car ppf?