Sponsored by:

992 C4S vs 992 Turbo for DD

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 01:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,481 Likes on 5,036 Posts

If you have the budget (or the money difference is immaterial to you), get the Turbo.

If you don't have the budget (or the money is not immaterial to you), get the C4S. Last thing you want to do to yourself is buy a car (which is essentially a luxury good) that you can't enjoy because you're always thinking about the price tag.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 02-25-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:20 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 241 Likes on 147 Posts

I have a C4S, apart from the passenger door rattles that it needs looking at for a second time, as a DD it’s lovely!
ras and pdcc, no sports exhaust exhaust, chrono, 18 ways, no spasm, Bose, pdk.

coming from a 2015 560bhp M5 it’s a fantastic car! Good on the run, handles incredible, way quick enough to lose your license fast (did a run today and 115mph comes up very quickly!)

I considered a 992 turbo S, money wasn’t a problem, but I just prefer the sleeker lines of a normal carrera.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:27 PM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Both capable of being great DD all year round even if you live in cold/wet/snow area with using proper tires. Comes down to if you want to spend the extra for the TT or prefer the look one over the other.

I’ve always wanted a 911 turbo but where I live, we have some stupid and strange mandatory insurance system in which a TT will cost 2-3 times more to insure than C4S (I pay $3800 CAD this year). Other than the extra cost of cars, this insurance part is difficult for me to justify.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:29 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 210 Posts

This opinion is entirely prefaced on you having the resources prioritized to a car budget because each and every one of these cars are magnificent in their own right but I had same dilemma...differences being I have a GT3T so that drives one experience and my wife is the primary driver of the second car...but that notwithstanding I would not consider a TT and only a TTS if I am stepping up that that kind of spend with the caveat it would be your only car and 10 year horizon . We eventually chose a Targa 4S because of the styling and open top motoring experience coupled with the visceral nature of GT3 to round out garage but, I would suggest the delta in value in a decade in TT/ TTS vs C4S is at least 75% of the cost delta today - maybe more...so why not to get all the benefit of TT/TTS ownership being bigger hips - unbelievable power on tap - exclusivity ?...plus you avoid the dreaded conversation when you wheel up to the family bbq and your brother in law says..”nice car - have you seen the new Turbo?”...

Last edited by Overdraft; 02-26-2021 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:04 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 158 Posts

When I roll up to my brothers prefabricated home in any 911 of any variant, I'm fairly certain the reaction won't be "why didn't you get a Turbo." I'm literally the only person in my family who doesn't own a pickup truck.

But I think you all make a good point. If I just want the "best" (simply because that's how my brain is wired... never ever settle), the TTS is the only way to go. Somehow, the C4S doesn't feel like settling because it's the ultimate "sensible" DD whereas the TTS in my mind slots somewhere halfway between a DD an a proper exotic.... sort of like a functional exotic.

A TTS configured as I'd like runs around $225K. It's not worth the debate with my spouse to get the additional budget, as I'm not convinced the car would really delight me more -- especially if I strip it down to say under the agreed upon budget. I'd rather save the SOUs (spousal approval units) for something else, like getting an air cooled 911 to eventually send to Kaege or Gunther.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:37 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
TT comes stock with RWS - so you can take that off the list.

Personally, I have an air cooled car as my "fun" manual transmission car. Because of that, my C2S (and TTS later) have PDK. For me, it's ideal for a daily driver and really does maximize performance potential. And I still get to scratch that manual transmission itch with the a/c car. If you plan to go that way - you won't regret it. I love having both kinds of cars. They are totally different experiences that compliment each other.

Badge envy depends on the person - I had a 991.2 TT and I never once felt like I was shortchanged on performance. But in hindsight, I did have some regrets not going TTS, just on principle. It's one of the reasons I am going TTS this time. If that's going to be you - it may be best to pass on the TT, because (odds are) you will dump it before your 10 year window. At this price point, you need to be 100% happy.

I'd question how much more attention a TT/TTS will attract, BTW. The C4S is a wide body and has a lot of presence. I suspect most civilians couldn't even tell the difference. If they negatively respond to a TT/TTS, they'll do the same for a C4S.
Setting aside your desire to keep miles off the air cooled 911, would you DD it? Is the car safe enough that you'd feel comfortable driving your toddler around in it (for short trips). One thing I considered also was buying a 993 4S, driving it regularly for a couple years before sending it to Kaege (to resto mod), and waiting for a 992 GTS (for that added bit of specialness) or picking up a used 992 TTS while waiting the 18-24 months it takes Kaege to work their magic.

Quick Reply: 992 C4S vs 992 Turbo for DD