Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Noise - S vs Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 10:03 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 81 Posts

That's fascinating. Did you do this yourself? Look like you had to detach the outer wheel well material. Was that hard to detach and reattach? What is the sound deadening material itself? (I know little about this) I think this is something that car audio installers also can do?
Old 02-24-2021, 11:58 PM
-TFK-
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Just the placement of the Intake Air Ducts on the Turbo will cut the interior noise level significantly.

I placed sound deadening on the wheel well panels, behind the plastic wheel well skins. It has made a huge difference in the amount of intrusive tire noise. At drivers ear (middle of car) level I'm down to an average of 67.7 dB on a local 2 mile loop at between 25 and 50 mph. Previously it was 74.4 dB. By way of comparison our BMW X5 in 100% electric mode (quiet) is 56.7 dB and my previous DD a Jeep Grand Cherokee was 64.8 dB.

Goodyear F1 Tires running at 33 PSI Front / 38 PSI Rear.

I'm using a BAFX3608 dB Meter FWIW. https://bafxpro.com/products/bafx-pr...ed-sound-meter

Before

After

Please share more information on the installation and the process. Am sure other form members are interested to know including me
Old 02-25-2021, 12:03 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatone
That's fascinating. Did you do this yourself? Look like you had to detach the outer wheel well material. Was that hard to detach and reattach? What is the sound deadening material itself? (I know little about this) I think this is something that car audio installers also can do?
Q.) Did you do this yourself?
A.) Yes.

Q.) Look like you had to detach the outer wheel well material.
A.) Yes I did. It’s basically a plastic shield. One snap, a few nuts and a couple of screws. Not real complex at all.

Q.) Was that hard to detach and reattach?
A.) No, it’s incredibly easy.

Q.) What is the sound deadening material itself?
A.) It is “Noico 80 mil Sound Deadening Mat”.

Q.) I think this is something that car audio installers also can do?
A.) Probably.

Notes:
  1. I made the attached Templates from lite cardboard, what we used to call “Shirt Board” if that helps.
  2. Then I cut the Sound Deadening Mat to match these cardboard Templates. I didn’t want to cover any of the body access plugs or interfere with the attachment points for the Wheel Well Liner. I also wanted the Sound Deadening Mat to be completely hidden when the plastic Wheel Well Liner was reinstalled.
  3. Next I cleaned the metal surfaces with rubbing alcohol
  4. I used “FCHO Car Sound Deadening Rollers” to fix the Sound Deadening Material to the body of the car. Pictures also attached.
  5. Then I just reinstalled the Wheel Well Liner.
FWIW, the hardest part was removing and reinstalling the wheel. That should give you some idea as to the complexity (or the lack of it) involved in doing this.

If you match the cut out spacing on the car to the holes on this template, it should give you a template that will work for you.

I used these, but any cheap set of rollers like these will work just fine.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 02-25-2021 at 12:11 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
-TFK- (02-25-2021), 997usa (02-25-2021), AlexCeres (02-25-2021), Denny Swift (01-17-2024), DrewTJ50 (02-25-2021), incoming992s (08-09-2023), Mcx (03-13-2023), Overdraft (02-26-2021), Surge74 (02-25-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-25-2021, 12:17 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

This is what the Wheel Well Liner looks like when it is removed. (This is the drivers side. The passenger side is a mirror image of this.)
This picture is from the perspective of the car.
What you see when it's installed is the other side of this.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:36 AM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

Great idea, an improvement of almost 7db is significant. I’ve read elsewhere that the noise insulated glass only provides a 2-3db improvement.

Any idea how waterproof the sound deadening material is?
Old 02-25-2021, 01:04 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrewTJ50
Great idea, an improvement of almost 7db is significant. I’ve read elsewhere that the noise insulated glass only provides a 2-3db improvement. Any idea how waterproof the sound deadening material is?
It's Butyl. It is a 80 mill thick sheet of what for all intents and purposes: looks like, feels like and smells like thick tar with an aluminum sheet that you press on with a heavy serrated roller. A thick and really dense layer of undercoating. Looks 100% waterproof to me. If I lived in an area where they salted the roads in the wintertime I'd just want too be extra sure that the edges were fully bonded to the sheet metal. One should do this anyway, but I'd definitely not want any salt brine to take up long term residence between this and the sheet metal.
The following users liked this post:
DrewTJ50 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 08:34 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 997usa
It is an option for both the Turbo (S) and the S. I guess he may have driven the Turbo WITH the option, and the S without it; I have the Noise Insulated glass and I hear hardly any road & tire roll.
Question: Can you hear your engine sounds though? I don’t want to hear tire roar when cruising down highway. But I definitely want to hear engine sounds with PSE on when ripping down back roads. I’m very on the fence about the Glass option for my 992 DD build.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:16 PM
kpblade
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 71 Posts

It's Butyl. It is a 80 mill thick sheet of what for all intents and purposes: looks like, feels like and smells like thick tar with an aluminum sheet that you press on with a heavy serrated roller. A thick and really dense layer of undercoating. Looks 100% waterproof to me. If I lived in an area where they salted the roads in the wintertime I'd just want too be extra sure that the edges were fully bonded to the sheet metal. One should do this anyway, but I'd definitely not want any salt brine to take up long term residence between this and the sheet metal.
Great idea. What do you think about the rear wheels? What cutting device did you use, your circles and ovals look machine cut!!!!!. Lastly, if you till have the pattern, interested in lending them out...... Looks great
Old 02-25-2021, 01:20 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

First off, thanks for this info - definitely worth looking into esp. as it looks like a quick and cheap thing to do. I looked up their site and they do say for internal use only, I imagine it's because of issues like you say rather than the material itself. If you were doing this in a damp climate seems like it would make sense to seal the edges with seam sealer.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:04 PM
Davidwilloughby
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Surge74
Does anyone know why the S has more road noise than the Turbo S? I am referring to Harry's Garage on YouTube, who measured road noise in the Carrera S and the Turbo S. The Turbo was significantly quieter. Curious as to why, as you would expect the Turbo's wider tires to contribute to more road noise than a standard S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyy5h6bVndg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFbUCmu73MQ&t=4s
It's possible that as turbo tyre sizes are 10mm wider than the S on the same profile which would give slightly more depth to the tyre and therefore make them slightly quieter?
Old 02-25-2021, 03:58 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I am surprised to the differences in noise level between the turbo S Harry drove and the carerra s and carerra he drove . I am not sure if the insulated glass made that huge difference or the tire pressures . I don’t recall other reviewers complaining much about noise levels in the 992 carerras without the insulating glass

Old 02-25-2021, 04:36 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

To answer aggie57 and kpblade: I used a Sharpie, the caps from a couple of bottles I had laying about and a ruler to mark the circles and ovals. Not a terribly OCD process. Then I used a utility knife (see below) to make all of the cuts by laying the material on an old sheet of plywood. Regarding the inside vs external use; from what I've read, the concern has to do with exposure to high temperatures (above 121*C / 250*F). I don't believe that these areas are likely to experience these temperatures. I would certainly NOT place this material anywhere near the: engine, transmission, cooling system components, exhaust system, etc. I would imagine that as one approached the melting point temperature (121*C / 250*F) the material would probably become unacceptably elastic. This could result in a sticky mess to clean up. I don't believe the wheel wells are likely to see temperatures anywhere near these levels.

aggie57 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 04:42 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts

The "Salt Brine" concerns me living in the Mid West. For that reason alone, this wouldn't be advisable where I live since I drive in the Winter.
Tedster (08-09-2023)
Old 02-25-2021, 08:30 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kpblade
. . . . . if you till have the pattern . . . .
Here's the pattern with sufficient measurements that should allow for its replication.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
aggie57 (02-25-2021), Denny Swift (01-17-2024)
Old 02-25-2021, 11:57 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
Question: Can you hear your engine sounds though? I don’t want to hear tire roar when cruising down highway. But I definitely want to hear engine sounds with PSE on when ripping down back roads. I’m very on the fence about the Glass option for my 992 DD build.
Yes, I can hear the engine in my 992 TTS - I didn't get the noise insulated glass. I haven't been in a 992 Carrera, but I can confirm that the 992 TTS is quieter than my 991.2 TTS. Last weekend I went for a drive and it included one of the worst (noise-wise) stretches of highway in the area and my wife remarked about how much quieter it was - she said: "You know what I really like about the new car? I'm not constantly saying 'What?' 'What?' to you all the time." Maybe it's the tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by digits:
Mcx (03-13-2023), Surge74 (02-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Road Noise - S vs Turbo S