Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Break-in Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 06:54 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

If memory serves me, every car, regardless of make that I've owned, has a break-in period specified in the manual. As I recall, they have been 1000 miles most often. Porsche is the most conservative manufacturer out there with respect to break-in, and based on everything I've read, the car can be gradually broken-in over 1000 to 1500 miles rather than being limited to 4000 rpm for 2000 miles. I'm pretty certain, though, that no Porsche engineer would counsel running the car to redline in the first several hundred miles. Those who say that they have ignored break-in advice completely may feel vindicated because their cars are still running and feel like Porsches after several thousand miles and a few years of use. However, I don't think they can say that their cars aren't a little slower through the gears than a properly broken in one, or that their engines are going to be as trouble-free down the line. What about oil consumption or unwanted noise? Only a carefully staged comparison of a properly broken-in car and one that isn't would answer these questions, and I don't think such a study exists. For me, I'd rather be conservative for the first couple of months of ownership, reasoning that I paid a lot of money for a car with extraordinary capability. Why risk diluting that capability even slightly? I'll be waiting seven months from the time I ordered the car until it is delivered in April, so if I have to wait two months more to wring it out it's no big deal.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gentian21:
Biersmith (02-21-2021), peterdouglas (02-22-2021), Russian Mafia (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 07:03 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,176 Likes on 628 Posts

Some good points...carl
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 07:26 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
If memory serves me, every car, regardless of make that I've owned, has a break-in period specified in the manual. As I recall, they have been 1000 miles most often. Porsche is the most conservative manufacturer out there with respect to break-in, and based on everything I've read, the car can be gradually broken-in over 1000 to 1500 miles rather than being limited to 4000 rpm for 2000 miles. I'm pretty certain, though, that no Porsche engineer would counsel running the car to redline in the first several hundred miles. Those who say that they have ignored break-in advice completely may feel vindicated because their cars are still running and feel like Porsches after several thousand miles and a few years of use. However, I don't think they can say that their cars aren't a little slower through the gears than a properly broken in one, or that their engines are going to be as trouble-free down the line. What about oil consumption or unwanted noise? Only a carefully staged comparison of a properly broken-in car and one that isn't would answer these questions, and I don't think such a study exists. For me, I'd rather be conservative for the first couple of months of ownership, reasoning that I paid a lot of money for a car with extraordinary capability. Why risk diluting that capability even slightly? I'll be waiting seven months from the time I ordered the car until it is delivered in April, so if I have to wait two months more to wring it out it's no big deal.
annnnnnd here we go
Old 02-21-2021, 07:42 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Yip and most GT cars are sold less than 5k miles over 2 years ....if they say they did 2k miles under 7k I have land to sell.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
craig66 (02-21-2021), dhirm5 (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 08:01 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 500 Likes on 221 Posts

LOL

Need to make a list of totally circuitous topics for which multiple threads exist for which there is no right or wrong answer and for which we will all fight passionately to the end for
Maybe posters can then use the holy search function and read or if they really need to, add to it rather than rehashing these threads

1. To PPF or not
2. MT vs PDK
3. Base vs S
4. Break in, fact or fiction

Any others up come to mind ?f
The following 2 users liked this post by craig66:
Maverick787 (02-21-2021), peterdouglas (02-22-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 08:32 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
LOL

Need to make a list of totally circuitous topics for which multiple threads exist for which there is no right or wrong answer and for which we will all fight passionately to the end for
Maybe posters can then use the holy search function and read or if they really need to, add to it rather than rehashing these threads

1. To PPF or not
2. MT vs PDK
3. Base vs S
4. Break in, fact or fiction

Any others up come to mind ?f
- Bose vs Burmester
- PASM or SPASM
- RAS, real or not
- FAL do I need it
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (02-22-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 09:09 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Well, that's what Rennlist is... and I interpret the repetition to be an expression of what concerns 992 people the most. Fortunately, no one is compelled to sit on the site and read what they don't want to read.

We can add to the list of repetitive topics after-market exhausts, tire preferences and ceramic coatings. So-- there is relatively little that is new to be brought up, but I find that I learn something with each cycle of repeating topics.

I think it would be an interesting discussion to hear why people are on this board in the first place, and why they stay if they find it tedious when topics are predictably repeated.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:31 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,711 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
Those who say that they have ignored break-in advice completely may feel vindicated because their cars are still running and feel like Porsches after several thousand miles and a few years of use.
Rolling over broken glass does not produce a flat tire very frequently, but most folks with a modicum of intelligence will avoid doing so if at all possible. The odds are extremely low, but the downside of a ruined tire is far to problematic, when compared to the caution that the driver can and usually does exercise, when presented with such a situation.

As for pushing an engine excessively hard, early in its life, even when as in most cases, the downside to doing this isn't readily apparent, at some point down the road, the devil will have his due. Often the damage done from such shenanigan's, raises its ugly head so far in time and miles in the future, that in retrospect, few attribute the eventual failure(s) to an event or events that were, from their perspective, so distant in the past.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 02-21-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:23 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 500 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Rolling over broken glass does not produce a flat tire very frequently, but most folks with a modicum of intelligence will avoid doing so if at all possible. The odds are extremely low, but the downside of a ruined tire is far to problematic, when compared to the caution that the driver can and usually does exercise, when presented with such a situation.

As for pushing an engine excessively hard, early in its life, even when as in most cases, the downside to doing this isn't readily apparent, at some point down the road, the devil will have his due. Often the damage done from such shenanigan's, raises its ugly head so far in time and miles in the future, that in retrospect, few attribute the eventual failure(s) to an event or events that were, from their perspective, so distant in the past.
The problem is we are a fickle bunch and most know they will never keep their car long enough for that to happen. Many won't even make it out of Warranty never mind a decade or more to where it will matter. While I do not buy options for future buyers or PPF for future buyers I do largely respect the break-in process and actually tracked down the new owner of my traded in Boxster to let him know that I did break it in properly.

That said I am not convinced that the way Porsche tells us to break in is actually the best way. Porsche says maxl 4K RPM for 2K miles and then have fun and so you are driving for (in some cases) months at 2K-4K RPM and then suddenly hitting redline. I think a graded break-in where you stick to 4K RPM for around 500-1000 miles and then over the remainder of the break-in slowly increase your thresholds for average driving RPM's and max RPM's makes a lot more sense. Not a mechanic but logically it seems that it would slowly introduce the car to increasing stresses, RPM's and heat
Old 02-21-2021, 10:59 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
- Bose vs Burmester
- PASM or SPASM
- RAS, real or not
- FAL do I need it
Don’t forget: to tune or not to tune
Old 02-21-2021, 11:07 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Sorry, but I’m really not buying this.

There is never a “good time” to push an engine excessively hard. And I’m pretty sure that it makes no difference whether you drove it really boringly over the first 2000 miles or not. Wear is wear. The idea that you are “hedging against” future wear by following some sort of prescribed procedure more resembles superstition (wash your hands 3 times after you lock the door) than anything else.

The only procedure that makes rational sense to me is to make sure that the engine is warm before pushing things.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:13 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
Sorry, but I’m really not buying this. There is never a “good time” to push an engine excessively hard. And I’m pretty sure that it makes no difference whether you drove it really boringly over the first 2000 miles or not. Wear is wear. The idea that you are “hedging against” future wear by following some sort of prescribed procedure more resembles superstition (wash your hands 3 times after you lock the door) than anything else. The only procedure that makes rational sense to me is to make sure that the engine is warm before pushing things.
LOL, I would imagine that engineering is not a field that appeals to you.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:15 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 447 Posts

I’m doing 4K till 1000 miles, 5k till 1500, 6k till 2000, then redline after. Probably doesn’t matter at all, but since I keep cars for 8-10 years, can’t hurt.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:21 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by craig66
The problem is we are a fickle bunch and most know they will never keep their car long enough for that to happen. Many won't even make it out of Warranty never mind a decade or more to where it will matter. While I do not buy options for future buyers or PPF for future buyers I do largely respect the break-in process and actually tracked down the new owner of my traded in Boxster to let him know that I did break it in properly.

That said I am not convinced that the way Porsche tells us to break in is actually the best way. Porsche says maxl 4K RPM for 2K miles and then have fun and so you are driving for (in some cases) months at 2K-4K RPM and then suddenly hitting redline. I think a graded break-in where you stick to 4K RPM for around 500-1000 miles and then over the remainder of the break-in slowly increase your thresholds for average driving RPM's and max RPM's makes a lot more sense. Not a mechanic but logically it seems that it would slowly introduce the car to increasing stresses, RPM's and heat
Following a reasonable break-in period, as opposed to the life of the machine following that time period, is not a zero sum function. Following a reasonable break in period and then beating the hell out of the machine without expecting a negative consequence, is not what a break in period is designed to insure against. Having some perspective for the design, methods and materials that go into a machine, are simply features often described as: knowledge, experience, maturity and respect.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 02-21-2021 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,952 Likes on 5,210 Posts

If you only plan on keeping the car during the OEM warranty period, there is really no reason to adhere to any break-in period.

Quick Reply: Another Break-in Thread...