Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 10:05 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

I have an Aventurine Green C4S incoming and never applied PPF or Ceramic coatings before and this thread is super useful. I have a really basic question.

I see some owners apply both PPF and ceramic coatings. In which order? Seems to make sense that the ceramic coating would go straight on the paintwork and then the PPF on top of that.. and yet the PPF could slightly dull the effect of the ceramic coating. Or have I got this all completely backward? For example, how do you apply half a PPF on the high-impact areas but full-body ceramic? Is there a transition where they look different?
The following users liked this post:
EXFIB (12-09-2022)
Old 02-21-2021, 10:10 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete C
Not to start a debate here but if you do the math you just mentioned above, the 2k repaint plus decreased value do to repaint would have easily paid for the PPF and all along your car would have looked better by having the front wrapped 🍻
Dr Colorchip on a 150k car really 🤦‍♂️
When you cast aspersions on people who choose not to PPF using words like no brainer I am afraid a debate is exactly what you start.

That said if you go back and read my reply to you I stated "IF" it bothers me Dr Paintchip or a respray are options - reality is it is not going to bother me and so I will be using neither method however these are options that exist for someone who chooses not to go the PPF route and then regrets it.

I drive my baby. It is 6 weeks old and has 2000 miles (despite the fact that every mile costs me around an extra 50 cents in depreciation), we go out in the snow (despite the fact that salt abounds and someone is not going to want to buy my car as it is a NE car), we go out in the rain and we have fun.
She was bought to be driven and interestingly despite the snow and the salt and the stuff on the road so far not a rock chip to be seen but when they do start to appear to quote The Godfather - this is the business we have chosen.

Last edited by craig66; 02-21-2021 at 10:12 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by craig66:
EXFIB (12-09-2022), Jerry Yordy (02-22-2021), PorscheObsessed (02-22-2021), RD16RR (02-22-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 10:17 PM
992brian
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatone
I have an Aventurine Green C4S incoming and never applied PPF or Ceramic coatings before and this thread is super useful. I have a really basic question.

I see some owners apply both PPF and ceramic coatings. In which order? Seems to make sense that the ceramic coating would go straight on the paintwork and then the PPF on top of that.. and yet the PPF could slightly dull the effect of the ceramic coating. Or have I got this all completely backward? For example, how do you apply half a PPF on the high-impact areas but full-body ceramic? Is there a transition where they look different?
From my understanding its PPF first, then Ceramic. The Ceramic Coating is a nanometer layer coating thats done to prevent water spotting and other liquids etc. I am planning on PPF the front bumper first, then Ceramic the rest of the car. I would expect the bumper to look slightly different than the rest of the car but for most PPF, they will tuck in the layer underneath the bumper out of view.
The following 2 users liked this post by 992brian:
BudgetPlan1 (02-22-2021), dribar (03-03-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 10:23 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,117 Likes on 593 Posts

My last four Porsches I’ve done just the front bumper the rocker panels behind the rear wheels and the mirrors .That takes care of 90+ percent of the vulnerable areas.The cars never had an issue if I went to the track i used track wrap and painters tape. For street driving the PPF I did worked out great and you still couldEnjoy the paint without the film. Carl
drSedz (01-08-2023)
Old 02-21-2021, 11:03 PM
motown
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 96 Posts

went back and forth on this decision. Reading countless thread. Going to get no ceramic coating and partial (Full Hood, Fender And Mirror Kit, Doors, Rear Fenders) Xpel PPF.
dribar (03-03-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 11:06 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,102 Likes on 4,902 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatone

Originally Posted by 992brian
From my understanding its PPF first, then Ceramic. The Ceramic Coating is a nanometer layer coating thats done to prevent water spotting and other liquids etc. I am planning on PPF the front bumper first, then Ceramic the rest of the car. I would expect the bumper to look slightly different than the rest of the car but for most PPF, they will tuck in the layer underneath the bumper out of view.
Yes, exactly.

PPF then ceramic coating.

If you do ceramic coating first, it will impair the adhesive characteristics of the PPF.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:23 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,308 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Been down the PPF rabbit hole. Never again...
RD16RR (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 08:33 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
Been down the PPF rabbit hole. Never again...
Please share more details.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:40 AM
FirstF80InSpace
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I’ve never PPF’d any of my cars. Sure I get stone chips but I tend to hold onto my cars for only a few years. 5 years at most. It doesn’t make economical sense to me.

And I always trade my cars in vs private sale. I have found that stone chips have zero correlation to what your trade in will be valued at the dealership.
RD16RR (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 09:11 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 740 Posts

Similar to the “to tune or not tune” threads these usually go nowhere and the OP has to make their own decisions. The value of how you want your car to look or be protected or not is really a personal one to scale.
If I were buying a used vehicle I know I would be pleased and more inclined to purchase, if the car had been protected from normal road rash by PPF. As an owner and long term keeper of cars I choose PPF for me as I not only want my cars to perform technically excellent but I want them to look good as possible too. I don’t choose PPF for the next buyer of my car but for me.
These cars can be very expensive to buy and spending more money on paint protection may not be worth it to some but to others it has value. Make the choice for yourself. If paint chips and road scars don’t bother you, you would be foolish to spend the $’s. I did spend the $’s so to me it was an important part of my ownership.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:42 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Yordy
My C4S is scheduled to arrive in Rhode Island April 9th. I’m trying to decide whether to do PPF wrap and Ceramic coating. I’m leaning towards no PPF. For those of you who didn’t do a PPF wrap, do you have any regrets? How badly has your paint chipped. If you didn’t do the PPF, did you do the ceramic coat? How did that work out?
I didn't ppf my first 911 for first few months and ended up with Stone chips and some sandblasting on bumper hood and mirrors. I've done bumper, hood, pillars, mirrors, headlights and front fenders. Flying stones happen randomly anywhere anytime. Some guys ceramic coat too .....not me., I enjoy car care/waxing etc.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:00 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 199 Posts

My 992 is the first time I've gone down the PPF & ceramic path. I always hated PPF on other cars that I've seen, probably because it wasn't cared for or it was was extremely beat up. While it was a pretty expensive decision, I'm glad I did it as it provides peace of mind. Ceramic is also amazing, I love how easy the car is to clean and the shine it provides. Agree this discussion is similar to a tune vs. not, base vs. S debate; plenty of good opinions, but you really need to come to grips with the decision on your own. Good luck OP!

The following 3 users liked this post by slwong23:
Biersmith (02-22-2021), BudgetPlan1 (02-22-2021), Glerald (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 10:22 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
Please share more details.

Ok, here’s some:

while I was never over joyed about the parts removal process (seemingly harmless though it may be) the whole idea of ppf just never really appealed to me - (i guess) i first thought about it as everyone else having it installed does - however, i like the car for what it is, i drive it, and do not expect it to look showroom as it ages - some like the Fabregé Egg approach to car ownership - i understand that 100% - and while the ppf idea has its merits, there were a few characteristics i can't get past:

OCD works both ways...this is mine:

- edges from precut kits means you'll see the film eventually (if not immediately)
- edges from kits means it'll get dirty along the edge which means it looks worse than a chip
- if it damages you'll still want to repair it - a new panel is the only way - if in fact it is needed, will it match up to the aged panels already on the car (?)
- paint correction needed on the car body panel you're replacing the ppf on, due to: "all the adhesive did not release" - "have you parked your car outside - was it in the sun" ? (ok i might be exaggerating here)
- custom installs (no edges, parts removed and replaced) - has its own set of issues regarding how the film is folded over/hidden - let alone how it gets razor cut to size
- the potential for: "we did the best we could in this spot" comment from the installer no matter how good they are - obviously some nooks and crannies simply cant be covered
- the potential for: "for some reason they did this different at the factory and we cannot get this part (door handle) back exactly where it belongs" LOL !
- just the overall look of the ppf as it ages wouldn't appeal to me either - granted, if you're keeping the car garaged, driven 2000/3000 miles a year it'll probably look great/new...understood - if i were doing that i wouldn't even think to get ppf to start with
- i like the paint finish as it is - stock from the factory....no paint correction for me - yes it helps, i understand...i just don't need it
- saving the paint finish for the next guy (if any) to own it - the dealers like this because they can strip the ppf off, paint correct it, and have a new looking car to sell at max value, or leave it on because the car had no real road/track life to pepper it - nice for them, but just how much more trade-in value would you be offered ?

The list goes on, but i'll stop there....
- oh, ok...1 more.....(as 1 rennlister put it) "ppf reminds me of my Aunt Hazel covering her sofa and lamps shades with the stuff" !! LOL !!

sorry i can't resist this one: when the installer wants to add another layer in high impact zones, so the top layer can be removed to reveal a fresh layer....as Diane Keaton said in the GodFather "When will this all end" !!

While my comments might be a bit exaggerated, i started having a little fun typing this, the end result for me was no ppf

- ceramic is the "new & improved" way go to for wax on steroids...so i am giving it a go, as (and i know already) it helps make washing it off easy - really does

Post # 32 To quote Craig66:

She was bought to be driven and interestingly despite the snow and the salt and the stuff on the road so far not a rock chip to be seen but when they do start to appear to quote The Godfather - this is the business we have chosen.

Last edited by RD16RR; 02-22-2021 at 10:29 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by RD16RR:
1985Targa (11-10-2022), Adr (05-07-2021), aggie57 (02-22-2021), BudgetPlan1 (02-22-2021), Gables (02-22-2021), Glerald (02-22-2021), HouTexCarreraS (02-23-2021), PorscheObsessed (02-22-2021), smiles11 (02-22-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:47 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 115 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Jerry Yordy
I chose this car for long distance road trips. Hope to do 7,500 to 10,000 miles a year. Using your rate, I wonder how many stone chips that translates to.
I believe that works out to 0.17 chips per 1,000 miles, so you can expect somewhere between 1.28 and 1.71 chips per year.
The following 2 users liked this post by 987SCoupe:
Jerry Yordy (02-23-2021), RD16RR (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 04:48 AM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 987SCoupe
I believe that works out to 0.17 chips per 1,000 miles, so you can expect somewhere between 1.28 and 1.71 chips per year.
😄 Oddly enough, when ya round up that's not too far off in our case. Aside from a few other smaller hits, these are the 2 primary 'visual offenders' from 12k miles last Summer:

Quick Reply: PPF or not