Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could a hybrid/electrified 992 be closer than we think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 01:12 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Could a hybrid/electrified 992 be closer than we think?

interesting article in the Wall Street Journey today about VW considering listing 25% of Porshe. The article is behind a paywall but states that "Porsche is on its way to be a nearly pure electric car company by 2025". The analyst estimate is that the Taycan electrified car business alone is worth EUR 40B against an entire VW market cap of EUR 87B. If they are moving that quickly would not at all be surprised if the 992.2's is hybrid in its core models as the driveline supports that future option. Can't quite see how the 992 could go fully electric. (Where do the batteries go)
Old 02-19-2021, 01:22 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatone
interesting article in the Wall Street Journey today about VW considering listing 25% of Porshe. The article is behind a paywall but states that "Porsche is on its way to be a nearly pure electric car company by 2025". The analyst estimate is that the Taycan electrified car business alone is worth EUR 40B against an entire VW market cap of EUR 87B. If they are moving that quickly would not at all be surprised if the 992.2's is hybrid in its core models as the driveline supports that future option. Can't quite see how the 992 could go fully electric. (Where do the batteries go)
I don’t think so

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.evo...lacKT2mYYpN_0M

Old 02-19-2021, 01:22 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 361 Posts

The batteries go into the chassis at lowest point, improving center of gravity....
Old 02-19-2021, 01:24 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Originally Posted by catdog2
The batteries go into the chassis at lowest point, improving center of gravity....
911 can’t be electric ..Porsche got big plan coming up

Old 02-19-2021, 01:26 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Synthetic fuels are all well and good, but it appears that the market does not want to hear about it. (Or Hydrogen) Porsche can't push this alone if no one else does. The money is all going to electric now.

Last edited by aquatone; 02-19-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:31 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Synthetic fuels are all well and good, but it appears that the market does not want to hear about it. (Or Hydrogen) The money is all going to electric now.
this is the only solution to keep 911 stay alive and I don’t want to drive 911 EV ..

And Porsche is believed in this
Old 02-19-2021, 01:32 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

I can't see a full BEV 911 but a hybrid version is definitely coming. Only question is which 911 variants will get hybrid first.

The new McLaren Artura hybrid is interesting. With only 1 electric motor at mid/rear and no electric motor at front which keep it simple and keep the weight down, Porsche can definitely do something like this.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:58 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

I suspect the first 911 to get a hybrid will be either the Turbo S (already heavy, weight is less of an issue) or the GT2 RS (ultimate performance, can torque fill while the large turbos spool up).
Old 02-19-2021, 02:18 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

The 992.2 or its successor will be the final generation of the internal combustion engine 911. The next generation 718 is all but confirmed that it will be an EV.
Whether it's a 992.2, 992.3 or 99X, the end is coming. I would not be surprised to see a 992.3 for the US market as the EV 911 is introduced for Europe -- both models being sold simultaneously for a brief period.

In reality, the EV 911 will be so quick and so high-performing that no one will care. The Taycan has shown that Porsche knows what they're doing here -- it's not going to disappoint.

If I had an EV 911 wish, I would like to see Porsche use the changeover to an electric powertrain to reduce the physical size of the 911 as packaging becomes considerably easier. Heck, they could even improve the usability of the back seats.

Of course, this doesn't mean that gasoline cars are disappearing overnight, but new internal combustion engine cars will be scarce in about a decade. As gasoline inevitably becomes much more expensive, internal combustion engine cars will get less appealing with the general populous, but likely maintain an enthusiast following through our lifetimes.

Exciting times!
The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 02:58 PM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

For the same reasons Porsche kept the 911 alive in the 80's will again keep its halo car from full EV. They have openly stated it but kept the possibility and likelihood of a hybrid 911. They already raced a hybrid 911 at the nurburgring several years ago. They also stated the 718 cars will go full EV, no surprise there as they are not a great seller for them.

Pure sports car manufacturers, Porsche and Ferrari, have to carefully bridge the gap to full EV without alienating their core customers. Hybrids is the answer, Ferrari just released the SF 90, its second hybrid capable of running electric only.

Exciting times ahead.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:07 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
I can't see a full BEV 911 but a hybrid version is definitely coming. Only question is which 911 variants will get hybrid first.

The new McLaren Artura hybrid is interesting. With only 1 electric motor at mid/rear and no electric motor at front which keep it simple and keep the weight down, Porsche can definitely do something like this.
Ferrari has done the same with the SF-90. Interestingly enough, both the Ferrari and McLaren are using electric drive units between the engine and transmission similar to the Vonnen product that was developed for the 991. I saw a technical discussion from Michael Tam, PCNA where he strongly hinted this is the route Porsche will be taking.

Ferrari affectionately calls the technology their "Pizza Box" and McLaren impressed as they removed the reversing gears and mechanisms from the transaxle, preferring to have the electric motor provide reverse (weight savings).

The European manufacturers have a huge hurdle to overcome as ICE vehicles are currently prohibited from production after 2030 by law. With the use of electric hybrid units and eBenzine (what Europe is calling ethanol), the European manufactures are looking to convince lawmakers that this is superior solution to solely producing electric vehicles.

Many people think that having a car with only 17-20 miles of electric range is useless, however in almost every single survey of vehicle drivers, the average round trip commute is 13-18 miles per day. This means for the bulk of the driving (errands, etc.) the cars can be used in electric only mode, and 20 miles with of battery charges much more quickly than 500 miles.

Electric is coming, we will just need to see how it is implemented in the Porsche Sportscars. RIP coldstarts
Old 02-19-2021, 03:35 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
...Of course, this doesn't mean that gasoline cars are disappearing overnight, but new internal combustion engine cars will be scarce in about a decade. As gasoline inevitably becomes much more expensive, internal combustion engine cars will get less appealing with the general populous, but likely maintain an enthusiast following through our lifetimes.
Agree entirely that the transition from ICE to mostly electric is inevitable, but I seriously question the aggressive timeframes being thrown out by governments and manufacturers. While some countries such as France, with heavy reliance on nuclear power generation, and jurisdictions such as B.C. and Quebec with massive hydro capacity, can ramp up the generation infrastructure to produce more clean electricity, most of the rest of North America and all but select industrialized countries in the world aren’t in a position to make the massive investments required. We’ll get partway there in 10 years without doubt, but I suggest achieving the goal of almost all new car sales being electric is going to be a tough, long slog.

Last edited by gcurnew; 02-20-2021 at 11:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gcurnew:
justabout (02-19-2021), russbert (02-20-2021), Russian Mafia (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 03:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,682 Likes on 5,112 Posts

No, I don't think it's closer than "we" think.

Because, not sure what anyone else might think, but it's pretty well known that the 992.2 will most likely be hybrid, as the chassis in the 992 is setup for a hybrid powertrain.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:44 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

The 992.2 or its successor will be the final generation of the internal combustion engine 911. The next generation 718 is all but confirmed that it will be an EV.
Whether it's a 992.2, 992.3 or 99X, the end is coming. I would not be surprised to see a 992.3 for the US market as the EV 911 is introduced for Europe -- both models being sold simultaneously for a brief period.

In reality, the EV 911 will be so quick and so high-performing that no one will care. The Taycan has shown that Porsche knows what they're doing here -- it's not going to disappoint.

If I had an EV 911 wish, I would like to see Porsche use the changeover to an electric powertrain to reduce the physical size of the 911 as packaging becomes considerably easier. Heck, they could even improve the usability of the back seats.

Of course, this doesn't mean that gasoline cars are disappearing overnight, but new internal combustion engine cars will be scarce in about a decade. As gasoline inevitably becomes much more expensive, internal combustion engine cars will get less appealing with the general populous, but likely maintain an enthusiast following through our lifetimes.

Exciting times!
Nothing about this is exciting.

Anyhow, I read that Porsche will be nearly all electric by 2030, but they plan to still keep the 911 a ICE (or hybrid) car. This carbon neutral fuel that they are developing will likely be what they have in mind to power it. It will be for enthusiasts, I imagine.

My guess is that a time will come when things will ironically flip, and that gas owners will be the ones with "range anxiety" as gas stations slowly disappear, whereas EV charging will be ubiquitous. I don't see that happening for another 20 years, though
detansinn (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 03:59 PM
aquatone
Instructor

An EV 911 with usable back seats is not really a 911 though.. its whole underlying principles, the weight distribution and balance, its sound will be different... and that's fine. Few models have a 60-year run. Just give this new electrified Porsche with usable back seats a new "9 number". Give the real 911 the dignity of being true to itself and not changed into something it is not.
Tupper (02-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Could a hybrid/electrified 992 be closer than we think?