Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec a 992 with resale value in mind

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 02:37 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Options are nice because they allow the new owner to "personalize" what they're buying. However the more a used car has been "personalized" the harder it will be to find a buyer. A low spec Guards Red, PDK, C2S with maybe Bose Stereo and a Seat Upgrade would probably fit the resale bill. An example of what NOT to do is the Aero Kit. The reason is that some folks love it and others hate it. The potential buyer who likes the Aero Kit is less likely to refuse to purchase a car without it than the potential buyer who hates the Aero Kit will buy a car that has it. Ex. #2: Not everyone can drive a stick, but everyone can drive a PDK. RAS? You can't see it, so it's value at resale is virtually zero, as almost all options that can't be seen are.

But in the end, if you're buying a new car at this price point and you're worried about the resale value? You might want to consider a different car. FWIW, you can buy a nice new Honda Fit for the first years depreciation on almost any 911.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
Carsten Doil (02-07-2021), gcurnew (02-06-2021), Russian Mafia (02-08-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 02:58 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Mine that will be here in three weeks .
C2s
Carara white/slate gray
MT
Spasm
Sport seats
Sport steering wheel
white tach
alum trim
The following users liked this post:
Boulder Mike (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 03:32 AM
Trackmunkey
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a well loaded S with a manual and aero kit.

Kbb says 115k.

Screw resale.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:47 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Black or white, with black interior, premium pack, sport pack, 14-way(maybe), sunroof(maybe).
Old 02-06-2021, 04:14 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Options are nice because they allow the new owner to "personalize" what they're buying. However the more a used car has been "personalized" the harder it will be to find a buyer. A low spec Guards Red, PDK, C2S with maybe Bose Stereo and a Seat Upgrade would probably fit the resale bill. An example of what NOT to do is the Aero Kit. The reason is that some folks love it and others hate it. The potential buyer who likes the Aero Kit is less likely to refuse to purchase a car without it than the potential buyer who hates the Aero Kit will buy a car that has it. Ex. #2: Not everyone can drive a stick, but everyone can drive a PDK. RAS? You can't see it, so it's value at resale is virtually zero, as almost all options that can't be seen are.

But in the end, if you're buying a new car at this price point and you're worried about the resale value? You might want to consider a different car. FWIW, you can buy a nice new Honda Fit for the first years depreciation on almost any 911.
I agree with most of what you say except the manual part. There are enough manual enthusiasts out there, especially in the sports car world, and manual owners tend to hold on to their cars that there are hardly any used manuals. Because of this there is actually a shortage of supply compared to the demand in the used manual market. Try finding a decent 991.1 or 991.2 in a manual. I’ve looked a lot. Which is one reason I’m getting the 992.

Also, according to my dealer, every 992 S allocation they have has been a manual because the only way to get a manual is in the S and 4S as the base doesn’t offer it, and so all their orders are manuals.

Lastly, the engineers at Porsche had to essentially beg to release a manual 992 which is why it could be the last generation in a manual and have a higher resale as a result. In addition to that the reviews are glowing as to how the 992 MT is the finest MT ever produced.

I’m pretty sure my Manual will have a good resale value. But you may need to pry it out of my cold dead hands.
The following 3 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
mdrobc1213 (02-18-2021), rob929 (02-06-2021), Tedster (06-27-2023)
Old 02-06-2021, 08:21 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Instead of trying to postulate what options help resale, here are some choices that hurt resale...
  • Personalized Door-Sill Guards
  • Wheels painted in exterior color if that exterior color is anything other than black
  • Exterior color, interior color, convertible roof color, etc combinations that either remind you of McDonalds 🤡 or Christmas 🎄
  • Sport Chrono and Tachometer in mismatched colors
  • Air vent slats painted in a color that isn't already part of the interior palette
  • Race-Tex/Alcantara steering wheel unless you plan to drive it exclusively wearing gloves
The following users liked this post:
sheldonlaw (02-07-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 08:39 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I agree with most of what you say except the manual part. There are enough manual enthusiasts out there, especially in the sports car world, and manual owners tend to hold on to their cars that there are hardly any used manuals. Because of this there is actually a shortage of supply compared to the demand in the used manual market. Try finding a decent 991.1 or 991.2 in a manual. I’ve looked a lot. Which is one reason I’m getting the 992.

Also, according to my dealer, every 992 S allocation they have has been a manual because the only way to get a manual is in the S and 4S as the base doesn’t offer it, and so all their orders are manuals.

Lastly, the engineers at Porsche had to essentially beg to release a manual 992 which is why it could be the last generation in a manual and have a higher resale as a result. In addition to that the reviews are glowing as to how the 992 MT is the finest MT ever produced.

I’m pretty sure my Manual will have a good resale value. But you may need to pry it out of my cold dead hands.
Agree if people think that the 992 will be the last manual transmission your resale will be higher.

Yes, you are limiting your potential market capture to the people who can drive MT, but the rarity for the enthusiast will make up for it.

I sold my manual M5 which is easily getting double of what the DCTs are getting for the equivalent car.

IMO there will always be a market for a manual 911
Old 02-06-2021, 08:40 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 418 Posts

The more appealing but rare you can make the car, the better. Coupe. Manual. PTS but in a non-polarizing color, and if you don’t want to spend PTS money, stick to chalk, Carrera white, Silver, Agate Grey, Black, even Night Blue or Gentian Blue, maybe even Aventurine Green. Avoid the M&Ms colors. Don’t load up options but don’t go strippy either. Extended leather interior, atleast Bose, glass roof, and decent seats, atleast 14 ways. Try to keep the price from getting ridiculous. For example, I specc’ed a GT silver Carrera S, Manual, Glass Roof, Sport and Premium Pkgs, 18 ways, heated and cooled seats, SPASM, Carrera Classics, Slate Grey Interior (to change up from typical black interior, looks great against GT silver IMHO), extended range tank, ionizer, and that’s pretty much it. Sticker was just over $134k. I got it for $122k. I’m confident that if I were to sell, I’d get most, if not all my money back, especially in the current market. On a trade, I’m confident I’ll get a good trade from my perspective towards another Porsche in a couple years and the dealer would sell the car within a couple weeks. If you can get an allocation for a GT3, get a GT3. Buy it. Drive it for 3 years, sell it and get ALL your money back. Also Targa market is always strong. Targas really hold their value.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 02-06-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:45 AM
drchip
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 19 Posts

Simple the visually what one can see and packages are the best for resale.. if this config is what you really want get it, and feel you will get the best return (or least loss) in 2-4 years. Remember mileage is by far the biggest factor, but then the point of buying 911 is to drive it, so if you looking to at 911 as an investment you are better off buying in a 1980 or 1970 model year, and hold it like a stock.

C2S
Any white or silver, with black interior ( I would avoid black exterior as its hard to maintain)
Atandard wheels in silver
14 way power seats
Premium Package (Bose, interiors lights, LCA, PDLS+ etc..)
Sports Package w/5spd ( I pick 5 Spd since it will Buch much more rare then PDK)
.. and that's it
$128,360, per Porsche car configurator

Old 02-06-2021, 09:58 AM
mschwa3439
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all, I agree with limiting any personalized options. I am on my ninth leased Porsche (all convertibles) and have been able to sell all previous ones at end of lease for a profit with the help of my dealer. All have been Manual Transmission with only a few options such as heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, Bose,. My current one is a 2020 C4S aventurine green with these options and upgraded Porsche Exclusive wheels painted black, with the mentioned options. Only one year into a 3 year lease and already have 2 potential buyers lined up when lease is up. Bottom line, get options that u think u want, knowing yu will not get a big return on the added cost.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:48 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

Don’t spec it for resale. Spec it it to drive. If you’re concerned about depreciation then buy used. All configs will depreciate rapidly while new cars are available and while options can help it will be fractions of a percentage point.

Life is short. Drive the car the way you want it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gripster:
Carsten Doil (02-07-2021), Ibrana (05-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2021, 05:37 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mschwa3439
First of all, I agree with limiting any personalized options. I am on my ninth leased Porsche (all convertibles) and have been able to sell all previous ones at end of lease for a profit with the help of my dealer. All have been Manual Transmission with only a few options such as heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, Bose,. My current one is a 2020 C4S aventurine green with these options and upgraded Porsche Exclusive wheels painted black, with the mentioned options. Only one year into a 3 year lease and already have 2 potential buyers lined up when lease is up. Bottom line, get options that u think u want, knowing yu will not get a big return on the added cost.
@mschwa3439 I agree with your bottom line statement but am interested in your process as it pertains to selling the car yourself at the end of the lease. What are the logistics as well as benefits of that process. Thanks
Old 02-07-2021, 06:31 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,192 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not necessarily since the cost of leasing is so prohibitively more expensive than buying or financing.
Agreed. Leasing is the worst option from a financial recovery perspective. By far.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:03 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
@mschwa3439 I agree with your bottom line statement but am interested in your process as it pertains to selling the car yourself at the end of the lease. What are the logistics as well as benefits of that process. Thanks
Lots of people don’t really understand that the residual at the end of a lease - which in the case of 911s is purposely set low - is simply the outstanding amount owed to Porsche. If one just gives back the car at lease end, then yes, it’s a pretty expensive way to have a Porsche in the garage. At any time prior to lease end though you can sell the car for its market value, which in the case of a 911 could be tens of thousands more than what’s owing on the lease. You pay out Porsche (dealers facilitate early buyouts of leases all the time, and don’t care where the money comes from), and pocket the difference. Alternatively, you can buy out the vehicle at lease end and sell it yourself privately, again pocketing the difference between the residual/buyout and market value. With my last 911 I sold it privately a couple of months before lease end, and the dealer cut me a cheque for about $38,000, which was the difference between the residual and what I sold it for.

Of course with a 911 purchase you can sell whenever you want and pay off the loan, but a lease has some built-in safeguards that an outright buy or a term loan don’t, the most important being that in the event of a serious accident where the diminished value (even if the car is properly repaired at a Porsche Certified body shop) is less than the residual, you can (and should) just give the car back and it becomes Porsche’s problem, not yours. In Canada at least, I also have an inexpensive insurance rider that gives me original replacement value for the entire term of the lease in the event of a total write off. With this rider in place, I have no problem putting a substantial down payment of my leased cars as - unlike many people believe - I won’t lose the DP in a write off scenario.

Yes, the MF on a lease is typically higher than a loan (the difference in Canada and some other countries isn’t nearly as large as in the U.S) but you’re only paying down the principal on a portion of the value of the car, so “costs” on a cash-flow basis are substantially lower, and you still retain all the upside in the equity of the car...assuming you’re not foolish enough to give it back to Porsche at lease end.

Leasing and selling privately don’t work for everyone, but it’s an alternative way to drive a 911 at a substantially lower overall costs - and reduced monthly costs if the alternative is financing - than many people think. The wrinkle is you have to sell the car privately at or near lease end rather than trade it or give it back. Or you can just buy it out at the ridiculously low residual value and keep it if you want. I did this with a Cayman S, then drove it another 3 years and still sold it (as I recall) for $16k or maybe $18k more than the residual buyout.

Last edited by gcurnew; 02-07-2021 at 08:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by gcurnew:
997usa (02-09-2021), AlterZgo (02-08-2021), craig66 (02-08-2021), r2thek (10-31-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 10:48 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

Targa has the best resale outside the GT cars.

Quick Reply: Spec a 992 with resale value in mind