Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C 8 vs Porsche 992

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 09:55 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 204 Posts

I went through a very long thought process between the C8 and my “new to me” 991.2. I’m actually still on the C8 wait list. I had a convertible 2014 C7. It ran well but a few issues until all my systems blacked out on the drive home. Motor kept running, no idea how.

So...

My C8 HTC build, Z51, LT3, lots of upgrades would top out at 95k if I would still continue with it. I’ve been glued to the C8 forums as much as here, maybe more and certainly for much longer longer. The C8 buzz right now is the leaking front lift (new to the C8), stitching in alignment (as reported here) and overhead panels, right side, coming down. The 6.2 though is rock solid. The new DCT is jumpy at low speeds.

The C8 turns heads. The Porsche is just known...as a Porsche.
I can agree that the Porsche is much more refined that the Corvette. But it’s also 40k more. It’s going to be tough to get out of line for the Corvette but the Porsche just has a spirit and a design that is just...unmatched.

Costco lot, not mine

Mine in my drive

Last edited by vanlieremead; 02-01-2021 at 09:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by vanlieremead:
leaf345 (02-07-2021), Noah Fect (02-01-2021), RD16RR (02-01-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 03:06 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Those that like Corvettes, AMGs, BMWs and even Ferraris, Lambos and McLarens are welcome to them; although none of those marques are my "tribe" and I more than occasionally shake my head at their product decisions, I wish owners of these and other cars many happy motoring miles with them. For my money - and my use case which is a single high-performance sports car that can be used for everything, in any weather, any season - the best choice (although not the only choice if one is willing to make compromises) - is an AWD 911 of some stripe. After owning around about 50 sports and high-performance cars (3 of them 911s) since first getting my driver’s licence in the ‘70s, nothing measures up to my 992 in terms of utility, performance, design and build quality, and the all-important “grins per mile.” (Up until the 992, my Ap1 and Ap2 S2000s and my 6-speed, no sunroof, cloth seat E-46 M3 held the top spots on my personal leaderboard.)

As Joseph Campbell sagely suggested: “Follow your bliss....” Pretty sure he didn’t have sports cars on his mind when he uttered those words, but that’s what I’m doing while winding out the 992 on a twisty mountain road, love of my life by my side and not a care in the world except maybe where we’re going to score the next tank of (hopefully non-ethanol high test) gas. If someone else’s bliss is found behind the wheel of a sports car other than a 911, or on a mountain bike, or spending the day in a Prius antique hunting, have at ‘er.

Last edited by gcurnew; 02-02-2021 at 05:27 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by gcurnew:
FactoryMatt (09-23-2022), Helios59 (02-06-2021), Mercuriell (02-02-2021), RD16RR (02-02-2021), Traind (02-05-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 09:33 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Those that like Corvettes, AMGs, BMWs and even Ferraris, Lambos and McClarens are welcome to them; although none of those marques are my "tribe" and I more than occasionally shake my head at their product decisions, I wish owners of these and other cars many happy motoring miles with them. For my money - and my use case which is a single high-performance sports car that can be used for everything, in any weather, any season - the best choice (although not the only choice if one is willing to make compromises) - is an AWD 911 of some stripe. After owning around about 50 sports and high-performance cars (3 of them 911s) since first getting my driver’s licence in the ‘70s, nothing measures up to my 992 in terms of utility, performance, design and build quality, and the all-important “grins per mile.” (Up until the 992, my Ap1 and Ap2 S2000s and my 6-speed, no sunroof, cloth seat E-46 M3 held the top spots on my personal leaderboard.)

As Joseph Campbell sagely suggested: “Follow your bliss....” Pretty sure he didn’t have sports cars on his mind when he uttered those words, but that’s what I’m doing while winding out the 992 on a twisty mountain road, love of my life by my side and not a care in the world except maybe we’re going to score the next tank of (hopefully non-ethanol high test) gas. If someone else’s bliss is found behind the wheel of a sports car other than a 911, or on a mountain bike, or spending the day in a Prius antique hunting, have at ‘er.
I certainly agree with that ! for me, you’ve touched all the right points down to the s2000 (96,000 miles Ap2 - 6speed short shifter kit)
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (02-03-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 03:25 PM
Traind
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Dude, I know they aren’t emotionally attached to my car or to me, and don’t expect them to be and no, they don’t kiss my *** either, but they treat me with respect, and appreciate my business, especially repeat business. And I am on a first name basis with my Porsche Gold Meister tech, whom is used to actually working on 911s every day, not some 24 year old kid lube tech who gets one Corvette in every 200 Chevy whatevers. And you’re goddamned right the coffee is better.
This is all true. And yet it comes across as a weak rationalization for choosing the expensive option. I mean, who spends $40k more for a better reaction at the dealerhip once or twice a year? It is an ancillary benefit.... but, if you're going to argue it at all, better to argue a more substantial reason for choosing Porsche.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:06 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Traind
This is all true. And yet it comes across as a weak rationalization for choosing the expensive option. I mean, who spends $40k more for a better reaction at the dealerhip once or twice a year? It is an ancillary benefit.... but, if you're going to argue it at all, better to argue a more substantial reason for choosing Porsche.
Exactly, buy a Porsche because you want a Porsche. "Dealership experience" get real, do you get laid there while your oil is changed?
The following 3 users liked this post by phaser:
997usa (02-05-2021), leaf345 (02-07-2021), Tupper (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 08:28 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
"Dealership experience" get real, do you get laid there while your oil is changed?
LOL

I’d buy a car just for that reason if that were the case
997usa (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:32 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

You’re making my point. Buy a Porsche and visit the dealer once a year. Buy a Corvette, and get used to spending time at the Chevy dealer and choke down their garbage coffee.

Here’s an easy one. The Corvette is no longer available with a manual. 992 by default, is the choice, never mind passionate attention to detail from the Germans. Corvette? Don’t open your door too far, or risk the front edge of the door’s paint scraping off because of a bolt that is too long in the door jam.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:50 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

I just bought a 991.2 TTS yesterday.

I will be the first guy in line to bash and take a dump on dealers/salesmen. No doubt... I was incredibly shocked to see that I had the absolute best dealership experience of my life at Gaudin Porsche. Third Porsche I've bought new and this is the first salesman I liked.

The salesman was a 911 owner himself. We discussed GT3's and 991.1's and 2's which we both owned. He's a PCA member, we connected and saw eye to eye. Actually ended up liking the guy... 10/10 times I would be cursing the salesman and the dealership in my head. That's just me.

If I bought a Corvette from Chevy I'd get a poorly dressed salesman with questionable hygiene who owns a Kia bucket... During that process he'd spend most of his time nervously pacing between the computer desk anyone is allowed to use and the sales managers office... All the while trembling his words and shaking uncontrollably at the thought of making a sale. That makes me uncomfortable with the transaction and not trust the salesman... Even the quality of human in finance at Porsche vs Chevy speaks volumes. The lady at Gaudin didn't even try to upsell me.

The quality in the car/sales/dealer experience are synonymous with each other in the 911 vs Vette topic.

For the first time in my life, I look forward to going back to the dealership to buy another car and it happened to be at Porsche.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:02 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41

I will be the first guy in line to bash and take a dump on dealers/salesmen. No doubt... I was incredibly shocked to see that I had the absolute best dealership experience of my life at Gaudin Porsche. Third Porsche I've bought new and this is the first salesman I liked.

The salesman was a 911 owner himself. We discussed GT3's and 991.1's and 2's which we both owned. He's a PCA member, we connected and saw eye to eye. Actually ended up liking the guy... 10/10 times I would be cursing the salesman and the dealership in my head. That's just me.

If I bought a Corvette from Chevy I'd get a poorly dressed salesman with questionable hygiene who owns a Kia bucket... During that process he'd spend most of his time nervously pacing between the computer desk anyone is allowed to use and the sales managers office... All the while trembling his words and shaking uncontrollably at the thought of making a sale. That makes me uncomfortable with the transaction and not trust the salesman... Even the quality of human in finance at Porsche vs Chevy speaks volumes. The lady at Gaudin didn't even try to upsell me.

The quality in the car/sales/dealer experience are synonymous with each other in the 911 vs Vette topic.

For the first time in my life, I look forward to going back to the dealership to buy another car and it happened to be at Porsche.
similar experience @ Porsche for me as well.....very refreshing !!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:49 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
LOL

I’d buy a car just for that reason if that were the case
You and a bunch of other guys.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:42 PM
Traind
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

First the good part:
I hope you enjoy your new purchase! I expect it will be awesome. And I am glad you ran into a true enthusiast in sales... they are out there but relatively rare. My last service visit had me meeting a new service rep who happened to be a fairly young woman. She turned out to have a good customer service skillset and we also had a good discussion about model changes. It's always nice to have that type of interaction. It happens more often at well led dealerships.

Now the not so good but hopefully useful:
Of course you can feel free to bash dealerships you have had bad experiences with but please don't stereotype every Chevy salesperson and expect me to agree or chuckle while I polish my higher priced car. Insulting Chevy salespeople hygiene and the cars they can personally afford makes you come across as a bit of an *** and a snob. Maybe you aren't one but that's how it reads.

My wife has owned a number of Hondas over the years, modestly priced vehicles, and we have had several very good salespeople selling them. The job has a lot of turnover so it is true you can get an ill suited person at lower end dealerships more frequently. But high end dealerships can also be run poorly... I know this not just from my experience buying but also from consulting in the industry. And lower priced car dealerships can be run fantastically too. The young person trying to learn the business has to start somewhere.
Joeybats (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 08:58 PM
Joeybats
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

You just didn't write that did you?
Old 02-06-2021, 08:59 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

The best new car buying experience I ever had was for a VW Golf. Two qualifying questions as we walked onto the lot, asked to wait for the ‘right salesperson’ who turned out to be a straight talking woman (the car was for my wife). What followed was no BS, and a decent deal on the right car. Done and dusted in an hour or so.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,394 Likes on 808 Posts

Who the hell needs a sales person. They are bloody useless. Go to the tesla system
997usa (02-08-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 01:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Who the hell needs a sales person. They are bloody useless. Go to the tesla system
But then you end with a Tesla.

For that price I'd rather put up with a salesperson.

Quick Reply: Corvette C 8 vs Porsche 992