Sponsored by:

Corvette C 8 vs Porsche 992

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 09:21 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
That's IF you even get a loaner, but yeah.

The same type of thing happens at Honda and other brands.. As a matter of fact, service departments for most of the lower end brands are full of bigger sociopaths than the sales/finance guys.
Very true, and not just Honda, even BMW. My uncle takes in his $115k M850 and gets a 4cyl 3 series for a loaner. Very few brands actually have their customers looking forward to visiting the dealer for service. I don’t know anyone who likes visiting the Chevy dealer for service, except 85 year old men with nothing better to do in retirement.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,394 Likes on 808 Posts

That's IF you even get a loaner, but yeah.

The same type of thing happens at Honda and other brands.. As a matter of fact, service departments for most of the lower end brands are full of bigger sociopaths than the sales/finance guys.
Dont kid yourself, the tech at your porsche dealer doesnt give zero ****s about your car, nor does the service advisor. All that formality and asskissing is fake as the day is long. Same **** as cheaper brands but with better coffee
The following 2 users liked this post by Quadcammer:
phaser (01-31-2021), Traind (02-05-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 09:32 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Dont kid yourself, the tech at your porsche dealer doesnt give zero ****s about your car, nor does the service advisor. All that formality and asskissing is fake as the day is long. Same **** as cheaper brands but with better coffee
Dude, I know they aren’t emotionally attached to my car or to me, and don’t expect them to be and no, they don’t kiss my *** either, but they treat me with respect, and appreciate my business, especially repeat business. And I am on a first name basis with my Porsche Gold Meister tech, whom is used to actually working on 911s every day, not some 24 year old kid lube tech who gets one Corvette in every 200 Chevy whatevers. And you’re goddamned right the coffee is better.
The following 7 users liked this post by ryandarr1979:
gcurnew (01-31-2021), PorscheObsessed (02-04-2021), RD16RR (01-31-2021), ribold01 (01-31-2021), SamD (01-31-2021), sexfiend (01-30-2021), wizee (02-01-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-30-2021, 09:52 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 510michael
I owned a C8 for about a month before selling it. I really did like it. Quiet, smooth, and fast. For me though, there is not much that can hold up to the 911.
one month, why ? The only reason I can surmise is you made a profit on the sale. Or is there another reason ?
Old 01-30-2021, 10:46 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
Hey Malibu,

I’m not trying to harsh your high here. But there are three other threads specifically discussing the Corvette on the 992 forum. Those are the ones I found in thirty seconds.

Which brings me to a more sensitive subject; You can start as many random threads as random ideas pop into your mind. From gas flaps to numerous rear shelf covers. But starting eleven threads in a week seems excessive ? Just one humans opinion, and not meant in any way to be snarky.

Cheers.
Disagree, this isn't an encyclopedia. I prefer like most, a living, energetic forum. Especially during these stagnant times, to put it nicely. OP keep up your cool posts. I love refreshing the forums to hear other people's opinions, hate it when there's the same 5 serious topics all week.
The following 3 users liked this post by sexfiend:
drgav2005 (02-01-2021), Russian Mafia (01-31-2021), ryanlsmith (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 10:50 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Of course, but ATLEAST Porsche and Lexus TRY. It makes a difference.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:03 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sexfiend
Of course, but ATLEAST Porsche and Lexus TRY. It makes a difference.
To each his own, I'm in no way offended by a critique or a negative response. If I am doing something that offends, I would rather know than to face silence. We are all under so much pressure due to the extended isolation that we face. Compound that with the fear of suffering from Covid 19 and being in shock of the new strange circumstances in the world. I know, because of lack of daily contact with fellow human beings, I'm getting rusty in how to interact myself. No crimes were committed, no harm done. Let us go on from here, knowing we are indeed privileged to enjoy such as this amazing automobile.
The following 4 users liked this post by malibu515:
BudgetPlan1 (02-02-2021), drgav2005 (02-01-2021), ribold01 (01-31-2021), Russian Mafia (01-31-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 11:13 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Dude, I know they aren’t emotionally attached to my car or to me, and don’t expect them to be and no, they don’t kiss my *** either, but they treat me with respect, and appreciate my business, especially repeat business. And I am on a first name basis with my Porsche Gold Meister tech, whom is used to actually working on 911s every day, not some 24 year old kid lube tech who gets one Corvette in every 200 Chevy whatevers. And you’re goddamned right the coffee is better.
What he said ^

But you have a point with the "tech giving zero ****s about your car", I don't disagree with that.

My service advisor at Porsche is kind and talks to me with respect like a human being... If he has time, we'll sit there and have a conversation with substance behind it... Not just greasing me up. He's given me above and beyond service. Once a $300 credit to spend in the gift shop because my oil change took longer than expected. He talks to me about PCA, racing, GT cars (performance), performance mods etc.. He complimented my headers and other mods. For the most part, they go above and beyond... Even the quiet, introverted ones are good.

I've been to many service departments, even recently. My God. Honda/Chevy/Toyota are all a **** show. Total zoo. The service advisors are just like pushy salesmen, they like to refuse warranty work, and they almost never solve the problem or satisfy my needs.

Lastly, a bit OT.. I never fully understood or experienced how car salesmen and mechanics manipulate women until I sent in my girlfriend to Honda to get some warranty work done. She knows nothing about cars and was on the phone with me at while at the dealership. She was telling me how the service advisor is trying to sell her on all sorts of stuff for her car which was brand new... Wipers, coolant, alignment etc... "Do I need this stuff"? No!... I was shocked and saddened that so many women and naive older people fall for this.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911dude41:
AlexCeres (01-31-2021), kage65 (02-13-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 11:16 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

OT but I thought this was interesting... dummyproof but an interesting way to break in an engine

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ue/4239195001/
Old 01-30-2021, 11:24 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0
OT but I thought this was interesting... dummyproof but an interesting way to break in an engine

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ue/4239195001/
This has been common practice since at least the C7.

You can thank GM's legal team for that one.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:33 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

What he said ^

But you have a point with the "tech giving zero ****s about your car", I don't disagree with that.

My service advisor at Porsche is kind and talks to me with respect like a human being... If he has time, we'll sit there and have a conversation with substance behind it... Not just greasing me up. He's given me above and beyond service. Once a $300 credit to spend in the gift shop because my oil change took longer than expected. He talks to me about PCA, racing, GT cars (performance), performance mods etc.. He complimented my headers and other mods. For the most part, they go above and beyond... Even the quiet, introverted ones are good.

I've been to many service departments, even recently. My God. Honda/Chevy/Toyota are all a **** show. Total zoo. The service advisors are just like pushy salesmen, they like to refuse warranty work, and they almost never solve the problem or satisfy my needs.

Lastly, a bit OT.. I never fully understood or experienced how car salesmen and mechanics manipulate women until I sent in my girlfriend to Honda to get some warranty work done. She knows nothing about cars and was on the phone with me at while at the dealership. She was telling me how the service advisor is trying to sell her on all sorts of stuff for her car which was brand new... Wipers, coolant, alignment etc... "Do I need this stuff"? No!... I was shocked and saddened that so many women and naive older people fall for this.
Compliments to Porsche of Beachwood and BMW Cleveland. They have treated me very well .
Old 01-31-2021, 12:10 AM
510michael
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
one month, why ? The only reason I can surmise is you made a profit on the sale. Or is there another reason ?
I ordered the C8 in Aug 2019. I have had Vettes in the past and really enjoyed them. I didn't take delivery of the C8 until Oct 2020. By then I knew I could sell the C8 easily, and get back into a 911.
But it was a great car. I had no panel, stitching, etc, problems.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:24 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

I don’t expect them to love me, I don’t go there for love just good service. I may be the luckiest guy around as I’ve dealt with many Porsche dealers and a few had long term relationships. I actually did think they cared about my car and the shape I got it back in. Fixed and clean. And I have had the tech guys come out or ask me to go into the shop to discuss an issue. I’ve never felt my car maintenance was a burden to them warranty or not.

i also lease a Jeep in Pa for work. Service is decent but not the same in many ways.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:56 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

In UT the issue isn't whether the tech cares it's that in this state there's a really limited population of people that can actually get something right. A passionate, skilled, proven independent is the only way to go for non-warranty. For warranty, spin the wheel.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:23 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
In UT the issue isn't whether the tech cares it's that in this state there's a really limited population of people that can actually get something right. A passionate, skilled, proven independent is the only way to go for non-warranty. For warranty, spin the wheel.
I guess I am fortunate then, having my Porsche dealer 7min away and another five within an hour’s drive of me.
The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (01-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Corvette C 8 vs Porsche 992