Sponsored by:

All season versus snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 08:29 PM
chillinonahd
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All season versus snow tires

Newbie but dying that I can't drive my 991.2 GTS once the temps fall below 45. Don't and won't drive in the snow but there are still plenty of days I am missing out on. So I was looking into hi performance all-season. Found a nice set of Pirelli P Zero All-Season Radial Tires, so called dealer to get installed since I have centerlock wheels. I was told (somewhat hesitantly) that there are no Porsche approved all season tires, only winter tires. The down side of the winter tires is that I would need new wheels since they want to downsize the rears and my rims are too wide.

What's real here and what works in the real world?

Thx
Old 01-27-2021, 08:44 PM
preems
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chillinonahd
Newbie but dying that I can't drive my 991.2 GTS once the temps fall below 45. Don't and won't drive in the snow but there are still plenty of days I am missing out on. So I was looking into hi performance all-season. Found a nice set of Pirelli P Zero All-Season Radial Tires, so called dealer to get installed since I have centerlock wheels. I was told (somewhat hesitantly) that there are no Porsche approved all season tires, only winter tires. The down side of the winter tires is that I would need new wheels since they want to downsize the rears and my rims are too wide.

What's real here and what works in the real world?

Thx
You may get more replies if you post in the 991 forum.

Several people here including myself have fit winter tires on the summer rims without any issue...
The following users liked this post:
Crester (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 11:39 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome! Several important (and some not so) threads on this topic.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:23 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

The rear GTS wheels are 12 inch wide, so too wide for a 305 all-season like the Bridgestone Potenza AS. The Bridgestones are already stretched on an 11.5 wheel, nevermind a 12 inch wheel. Pirelli PZero Winter Sottozero or Michelin Pilot Alpin will work on a 12 inch rear wheel in 305s. Great cold weather traction, fairly comfortable and not too noisy. Just because they are winter/snow rated, doesn’t mean you need to drive them in snow. I’ve put 1000 miles on my Alpin PA5s and 95% of those were on dry roads. I bought them so that yes, I can drive in “some” snow, but bought mainly for the cold New England temps.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:54 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Yes, "snow" tires is something of a misnomer and old phrasing. They're really cold weather/winter tires. A good set of winter performance will provide you with profound levels of grip in the cold. In the same way that summer tires are optimized for warm weather driving, winter tires are optimized for the cold.

Here in Southeastern Pennsylvania, we don't get that much snow, but I've maintained two sets of wheels/tires for my cars for the past 20 years -- summer and winter sets. The safety and performance benefits are totally worth it.

All season tires are a compromised solution that don't deliver the goods under either summer or winter conditions. If you're driving a family sedan or SUV, sure, but a performance car deserves performance rubber appropriate for the season.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
phefner (01-29-2021), Russian Mafia (01-29-2021), ryandarr1979 (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 04:47 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Yes, "snow" tires is something of a misnomer and old phrasing. They're really cold weather/winter tires. A good set of winter performance will provide you with profound levels of grip in the cold. In the same way that summer tires are optimized for warm weather driving, winter tires are optimized for the cold.

Here in Southeastern Pennsylvania, we don't get that much snow, but I've maintained two sets of wheels/tires for my cars for the past 20 years -- summer and winter sets. The safety and performance benefits are totally worth it.

All season tires are a compromised solution that don't deliver the goods under either summer or winter conditions. If you're driving a family sedan or SUV, sure, but a performance car deserves performance rubber appropriate for the season.
100% this. For a high performance car, I want a set of tires that is great in the Spring and Summer and a set that is great in the Fall and Winter. I don’t want a set of do everything tires that are good for the Spring, Summer and Fall and meh in the Winter. If I lived elsewhere, it would be a different story, but I don’t. Tires are such a terrible thing to skimp on.

Quick Reply: All season versus snow tires