Sponsored by:

Etched Paint from Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 10:15 AM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
There’s a lot of “hype” and false promises in our industry, and unfortunately for OP, he’s getting first-hand experience of the limitations of ppf and ceramic coating

To clarify, ceramic coating will exhibit different characteristics when applied to paint vs. ppf. Paint is hardened where ppf is simply a soft and pliable plastic and is more porous

Ceramic coatings, or any other coating, is no match for bird droppings, acidic and low pH, when left on for extended periods of time. You have some comfort knowing the damage is reduced since there is a coating on your film vs no coating at all

The paint is most likely untouched and film took the brunt of it

if you can post a photo, it would help me in better diagnosing what to do

I recommend taking it to the shop that installed the ppf and did ceramic coating. They will be much better equipped to diagnose and treat the area affected

the least evasive way is to neutralize the acid that’s now embedded in the pores of ppf, use a mild paint cleanser to minimize the etching as much as possible, prep and recoat

hope this helps
While I understand your trying to be helpful, I never once said anything about being upset with my ceramic coating or Xpel. This is my 4th car with both allocations and I know they are bulletproof...never once said I was upset.

I'm upset that the dealer allows bird crap to sit on my car for likely a long time (car was with them for 4 days) which caused the etching of the ceramic coat and likely not the Xpel and obviously not the paint.

The issue is the dealership, not the coatings.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:34 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 243 Posts

So this isn’t much better news. All that needs to be done is to remove the PPF from that panel and re-wrap and apply a new coat of ceramic. Seems that the actual paint was not touched.

Agree 100% that when left to sit long enough, lots of things including bird droppings will still damage the finish.
The following users liked this post:
LifesAnesthesia (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 10:47 AM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by LifesAnesthesia
I'm upset that the dealer allows bird crap to sit on my car for likely a long time (car was with them for 4 days) which caused the etching of the ceramic coat and likely not the Xpel and obviously not the paint.

The issue is the dealership, not the coatings.
I'm finding this a little strange to be honest. I have had several cars ceramic coated and left outside, as that's where they have lived...that's why I had the coating in the first place. I live by the coast here in the UK surrounded by seagulls as its a fishing port and my car has been pooped on many times and the car has been left for weeks without cleaning, but it all comes off with a bit of good quality washing.......well it has so far and the current outside car is black.
Gtechniq products have always been applied by my detailer and I'm very happy with his work and the product....he has done around a dozen cars for me, so he did my TTS too.
I'm really surprised that after 4 days it has etched in.....not much point in having it if it won't last longer than that.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:21 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by Sorcerer 11
I'm finding this a little strange to be honest. I have had several cars ceramic coated and left outside, as that's where they have lived...that's why I had the coating in the first place. I live by the coast here in the UK surrounded by seagulls as its a fishing port and my car has been pooped on many times and the car has been left for weeks without cleaning, but it all comes off with a bit of good quality washing.......well it has so far and the current outside car is black.
Gtechniq products have always been applied by my detailer and I'm very happy with his work and the product....he has done around a dozen cars for me, so he did my TTS too.
I'm really surprised that after 4 days it has etched in.....not much point in having it if it won't last longer than that.
Leaving bird crap on the car for 4 days while it is kept outside baking in the sun at the dealer? Doesn't sound strange at all to me or my detail who installs several ceramic coating options for various Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. dealerships in the area? Maybe you're just a superior individual?
Old 01-23-2021, 12:34 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

4 days of bird crap sitting on a car in the sun WILL etch the paint.

Maybe UK birds have a better diet
Old 01-23-2021, 12:46 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by rk-d

Considering these are American birds, I don't doubt that one bit
Old 01-23-2021, 02:23 PM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

Originally Posted by rk-d

Fish not burgers.

Leaving bird crap on the car for 4 days while it is kept outside baking in the sun at the dealer? Doesn't sound strange at all to me or my detail who installs several ceramic coating options for various Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. dealerships in the area? Maybe you're just a superior individual?
No I'm not a superior individual.......Perhaps I have a better detailer!
Old 01-23-2021, 02:26 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by Sorcerer 11
Fish not burgers.

No I'm not a superior individual.......Perhaps I have a better detailer!
Eh likely not. I got it out with a heat gun earlier this afternoon. Looks good as new. Thanks to all who suggested it!
wasabi4 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 02:31 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

Picked up my car from a service appointment (2 weeks with the dealer for a obvious door rattle - long story short the rattle is still present and confirmed by the service manager despite the service receptionist telling me "they got it!"). Anyway, when I went to pick up the car the hood was covered in bird ****. After washing the crap off, turns out my ceramic coating was etched. Obviously I'm dealing with my dealership to resolve this issue, but is this the kind of service I should be expecting from Porsche? How would you all aim to resolve this issue? This is my first Porsche, but I've had Ford dealerships treat me better.
Did it damage the ceramic coating the Xpel or both? If it is just the Opticoat, the detailer can probably take care of it easily by lightly buffing the areas that got etched and reapplying opti-coat to that area. I would try to get the dealer to pick up the tab, but I think they will try to tell you that their detailer will fix it and the dealership detailers aren't usually the best.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:32 PM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

Eh likely not. I got it out with a heat gun earlier this afternoon. Looks good as new. Thanks to all who suggested it!
Result then.
I wasn't having a pop, just saying what I have experienced. Anyway, your sorted now.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:33 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by malba2366
Did it damage the ceramic coating the Xpel or both? If it is just the Opticoat, the detailer can probably take care of it easily by lightly buffing the areas that got etched and reapplying opti-coat to that area. I would try to get the dealer to pick up the tab, but I think they will try to tell you that their detailer will fix it and the dealership detailers aren't usually the best.
I got my detailer to fix it today - looks good as new. But yeah the first thing the sales manager offered me was their detailer to fix it and apply their ceramic and ppf...like it's a good idea to mix and match products
The following 4 users liked this post by LifesAnesthesia:
detansinn (01-23-2021), malba2366 (01-23-2021), MoeMistry (01-23-2021), Russian Mafia (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 07:36 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 747 Likes on 391 Posts

Glad it all worked out
LifesAnesthesia (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 08:26 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

I got my detailer to fix it today - looks good as new. But yeah the first thing the sales manager offered me was their detailer to fix it and apply their ceramic and ppf...like it's a good idea to mix and match products

Glad you got it fixed.
The following 2 users liked this post by malba2366:
detansinn (01-23-2021), LifesAnesthesia (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 08:54 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Now onto getting the dealer to actually fix this door panel rattle...
detansinn (01-23-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 04:03 AM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

If this is happening after 4 days then I'm just wondering what you do if you were to go away on holiday say and leave your car (any car) outside for a week or more at the airport perhaps? Does that mean your car is trashed by the time you are back?
Genuine question.

Quick Reply: Etched Paint from Dealer