Sponsored by:

Hazards light after heavy braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 05:55 PM
Joepster75
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hazards light after heavy braking

It’s new to me that a 911 turns on the hazard lights automatically after heavy braking. You need to put the lights out by hand or they will keep flashing.

Is there a way to put this feature off?
Old 01-20-2021, 06:04 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Joepster75
It’s new to me that a 911 turns on the hazard lights automatically after heavy braking. You need to put the lights out by hand or they will keep flashing.

Is there a way to put this feature off?
This is actually a great safety feature and comes from Germany/Autobahn where cars can be travelling at high rates of speed and flashers serve as additional warning to trailing drivers to really slow down...the faster you go the longer you need to stop of course...
Old 01-20-2021, 06:28 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 750 Posts

Funny story on that. On my McLaren 720s - it has a similar "feature" but not even that fast of speeds when breaking - I think it does it even at under 60mph. When you break hard the front lights flash and the rear break lights flash at the same time while the breaking is occurring - signaling to everyone ahead and behind that you are breaking heavily. Of course this is not good when you are breaking due to seeing a police car - which at that point you are also signaling to him or her that you likely above the speed limit "kind of like LOOK AT ME" mode.

Fortunately on the McLaren, you can turn off this "feature". On the 992 - I do not see a way in the PCM (from memory) that shuts this off - minus manually hitting it / turning it off via the hazard switch.
The following users liked this post:
drgav2005 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 11:50 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts

No override on Porsches, fortunately or unfortunately.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:26 AM
GhostriderF80
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Funny story on that. On my McLaren 720s - it has a similar "feature" but not even that fast of speeds when breaking - I think it does it even at under 60mph. When you break hard the front lights flash and the rear break lights flash at the same time while the breaking is occurring - signaling to everyone ahead and behind that you are breaking heavily. Of course this is not good when you are breaking due to seeing a police car - which at that point you are also signaling to him or her that you likely above the speed limit "kind of like LOOK AT ME" mode.

Fortunately on the McLaren, you can turn off this "feature". On the 992 - I do not see a way in the PCM (from memory) that shuts this off - minus manually hitting it / turning it off via the hazard switch.

My old 2009 golf had that feature. 2001 BMW had that feature.

People should also read about the history of no speed limits in Germany and how it is viewed as having your rights taken away.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:42 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by gohawks23
This is actually a great safety feature and comes from Germany/Autobahn where cars can be travelling at high rates of speed and flashers serve as additional warning to trailing drivers to really slow down...the faster you go the longer you need to stop of course...
Agreed. Been around for a long time, I believe legislated in at least some countries.
The following users liked this post:
gohawks23 (01-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Hazards light after heavy braking