Sponsored by:

Paint to Sample Long Wait

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 09:40 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 475 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Paint to Sample Long Wait

Wondering if anyone has any current experience with this. I have an allocation for an S model that is locking soon. I've decided on the build but finally came to the conclusion a couple weeks ago that I am going with a
paint to sample color.

Told my dealer this and they are telling me that the factory is only accepting PTS orders with a May allocation, so I would need to wait unit may to place my order. I am ok with this but the kicker is that they say that when they place the order in May that is might go through, might not. I have no problem waiting but they thought of waiting 5 more months and then being told no you can't have it kind of blows.

Is anyone in the process right now of ordering PTS, has your oder locked? Has anyone got the same info I have gotten or anything conflicting?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2021, 01:08 PM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 86 Posts

SFAVGUY, I'm also doing a C2S in PTS. The color I chose is already on the approved list for this model so I'm told it's not an "if" situation for this particular color, in my case.

Timing wise, I put a deposit down in August, finally got an allocation with commission number and invite to Track Your Dream listing the car in step 1--"Order Created" in late December. I don't have a lock date, production date, or delivery date listed on TYD yet.

The SA and GSM told me with PTS it can be six weeks or more from commission number/TYD notification that TYD kicks out some dates but based on what you were told, I'm wondering if it's May for me as well.

First new Porsche and I've waited a long time to be able to make this happen and I want it to be exactly as I want it, so timing is what it is. Keep us posted on your timing and process as it becomes known.

Thanks,
Karl
Old 01-18-2021, 01:44 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Originally Posted by svkarl
SFAVGUY, I'm also doing a C2S in PTS. The color I chose is already on the approved list for this model so I'm told it's not an "if" situation for this particular color, in my case.

Timing wise, I put a deposit down in August, finally got an allocation with commission number and invite to Track Your Dream listing the car in step 1--"Order Created" in late December. I don't have a lock date, production date, or delivery date listed on TYD yet.

The SA and GSM told me with PTS it can be six weeks or more from commission number/TYD notification that TYD kicks out some dates but based on what you were told, I'm wondering if it's May for me as well.

First new Porsche and I've waited a long time to be able to make this happen and I want it to be exactly as I want it, so timing is what it is. Keep us posted on your timing and process as it becomes known.

Thanks,
Karl

Hmm. Mines a little different. Placed a deposit in December and decided on PTS in early Jan. My dealer said they only accept PTS orders in November and May. So we would need to wait until may to submit and then no promises it will be accepted. I chose British Racing Green and I know it’s an accepted color for the 992 but they say there is still no way of knowing it will be accepted. So my worry is I wait 5 more months to place the order and then they say sorry can’t do it. I don’t think my dealer has much experience with PTS.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:50 PM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

Interesting, as I was waiting for months for an allocation, I called around to a number of national Porsche Premier dealers, essentially asking if any allocation can be made PTS. I also spoke with customer service at PCNA and pretty much across the board, was told any allocation can be PTS. My understanding is the reason it took so long to get the allocation is allocations were (maybe still are) pretty scarce, at least on the west coast. If I believe the dealership, the current wait is for confirmation of acquistion of the actual paint for my order and getting time in what I'm told is a separate paint facility at the factory that's dedicated to sports car PTS (apparently shared with Turbo and GT cars). I'm not completely certain that's the reason, simply what I'm being told. Not sure why there's not a clear explanation of the process nor the timing.d The photos I've seen of BRG are just stunning!

Karl
The following users liked this post:
wdr911 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:22 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Interesting, as I was waiting for months for an allocation, I called around to a number of national Porsche Premier dealers, essentially asking if any allocation can be made PTS. I also spoke with customer service at PCNA and pretty much across the board, was told any allocation can be PTS. My understanding is the reason it took so long to get the allocation is allocations were (maybe still are) pretty scarce, at least on the west coast. If I believe the dealership, the current wait is for confirmation of acquistion of the actual paint for my order and getting time in what I'm told is a separate paint facility at the factory that's dedicated to sports car PTS (apparently shared with Turbo and GT cars). I'm not completely certain that's the reason, simply what I'm being told. Not sure why there's not a clear explanation of the process nor the timing.d The photos I've seen of BRG are just stunning!

Karl
Yeah I spent about 5 months trying to find an allocation as well. As for the PTS my dealer has described the process as black magic, never a good sign. At this point though I’m determined to wait no matter how long, I saw a BRG video of a 992 online and was hooked.
Where are you located?
Old 01-18-2021, 06:53 PM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

I'm in Portland, you?

I've seen photos of several PTS BRG on the Turbo and GT forums so there's a few out there.

I certainly fail to understand why PAG and PCNA can't simply explain how this process works and the timing.

There's a pretty good thread on the GT forum on PTS, going back a number of years but it's not particularly current; I also don't know if the process for those cars is different than for standard 992.

My SA told me about one of his regular clients that's done a GTS, which took about a year from order to delivery. I saw that car in October and at that time they'd had it around eight month or so. That same client apparently has a PTS spider coming, ordered in the spring of 2020, hoping for delivery around March, so again, about a year. Both these have several CXX options as well as being GT cars so I don't know how much of the time frame is GT/CXX and how much is PTS.

I'm with you, it takes what it takes and it'll be worth it. This is my last car and I'll be trying to see how many miles I can get on it before I achieve ambient temperature.

Karl
Old 01-18-2021, 07:03 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

I'm in Portland, you?

I've seen photos of several PTS BRG on the Turbo and GT forums so there's a few out there.

I certainly fail to understand why PAG and PCNA can't simply explain how this process works and the timing.

There's a pretty good thread on the GT forum on PTS, going back a number of years but it's not particularly current; I also don't know if the process for those cars is different than for standard 992.

My SA told me about one of his regular clients that's done a GTS, which took about a year from order to delivery. I saw that car in October and at that time they'd had it around eight month or so. That same client apparently has a PTS spider coming, ordered in the spring of 2020, hoping for delivery around March, so again, about a year. Both these have several CXX options as well as being GT cars so I don't know how much of the time frame is GT/CXX and how much is PTS.

I'm with you, it takes what it takes and it'll be worth it. This is my last car and I'll be trying to see how many miles I can get on it before I achieve ambient temperature.

Karl
Yeah I did see a few photos, but then there was a full walk around video posted of a 992 S that sold me, it's easy to find just google British Racing Green 992. I have pretty much the exact spec but I'm doing a manual. I almost went with the Spider but at 6 foot 6 I was just a little too big. I'm not sure what CXX options are? Enlighten me please.

This is my first Porsche and I've wanted one since I was 14 so I can wait, It's just a little frustrating that no one seems to have solid info on the process. I'm in the SF Bay Area and I went through 12 Dealers before I found my allocation.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:04 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

dealers only get a certain number of PTS allocations. you cannot just PTS any allocation.
AlexCeres (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:15 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Originally Posted by lamacan
dealers only get a certain number of PTS allocations. you cannot just PTS any allocation.
I'm sure your source is reliable but do you have a resource for this info? Maybe my dealer is slow but he has been selling 911s for 10 + years and thinks that isn't the case. He thinks any car can be submitted in PTS and just needs to be accepted in order to be built. Would like to get more info if you have it.
Thanks
Old 01-18-2021, 07:16 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SFAVGUY
I'm sure your source is reliable but do you have a resource for this info? Maybe my dealer is slow but he has been selling 911s for 10 + years and thinks that isn't the case. He thinks any car can be submitted in PTS and just needs to be accepted in order to be built. Would like to get more info if you have it.
Thanks
that's what my dealer has told me many times. i've ordered 8 cars from them in 5 years.

Edit: as i understand it, it's largely a function of the production process. they only do PTS production in various windows of the production cycle each year.
mdrobc1213 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:21 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

that's what my dealer has told me many times. i've ordered 8 cars from them in 5 years.
Good to know. Thanks. Could you PM me your dealer contact info so I could give him a call. As it stands I feel like I'm waiting until May to find out if I can order a car or not. If I need to start my search for a
dealer with the right allocation I would rather start doing that now.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:45 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Edit: as i understand it, it's largely a function of the production process. they only do PTS production in various windows of the production cycle each year.
Yes this seems to be what I'm bing told, and those times change year to year so there is no real exact info. I'm told this year June is the month. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,684 Likes on 5,113 Posts

PTS is based on time slots (there are certain times in a given year that PAG will accept PTS orders).

PTS is not tied to any specific allocation, except to the extent that an allocation may fall within a PTS time slot (as noted above).
Old 01-18-2021, 09:55 PM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

That's somewhat different than I was told by various dealers I talked with and PCNA customer service but certainly both makes sense and aligns with going a month so far after receiving a commission number and TYD indicating "order created" but not listing any milestone dates. Any clue how to find out when these double-secret PTS windows occur?

Thanks,
Karl
Old 01-18-2021, 10:01 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

That's somewhat different than I was told by various dealers I talked with and PCNA customer service but certainly both makes sense and aligns with going a month so far after receiving a commission number and TYD indicating "order created" but not listing any milestone dates. Any clue how to find out when these double-secret PTS windows occur?

Thanks,
Karl
Check you PM

Quick Reply: Paint to Sample Long Wait