Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all season tires exist on the 992 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 02:15 PM
ndmiller
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Tires are the interface to the road surface and what provide the grip. The whole point of Porsche is to maximize that driving experience and road holding capability at high levels of performance. All Seasons cannot do that. You will be effectively decreasing the tire's capability by appx 10% - maybe more. Will they work? Sure, but its not the right tool for the job.
I would have thought that except I've been riding motorcycles for a couple decades. If Michelin and make a Pilot Road 5 that excels in both dry and wet for a sport touring bike an 8-9/10ths, it an certainly make a performance all season for a 911 that's 8-9/10s, excellent except on a track (more heat extremes). It's all about tire compound and tread design and for tire manufacture it's easy, but cost is the problem. Research and development for a new tire in limited sizes make the idea of a specific N Spec all season performance tire for a 911 a back burner item for sure.
Old 07-22-2023, 04:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,014 Likes on 4,868 Posts

Even if all season tires did exist for the 911, I would never use them.
Old 07-22-2023, 05:24 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Every single tire option is a compromise between: price; wet traction; dry traction; wear; comfort and road noise.

When I am selecting a replacement set of tires I always refer to the Tire Rack website for options and to use their handy ratings. I have purchased MANY sets of tires and wheels from that vendor, in addition to the local tire shops.

The Porsche engineers do an excellent job at tire evaluation, but I strayed from selecting N rated tires, instead selecting high mileage rated all-season tires, on the wife's Cayenne Turbo purely to toggle the 10K miles to wear bars for her corner supermarket runs. In that case I attained the desired result, getting about 4X the tread wear.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:30 PM
Hwyeatr
Track Day

Received 45 Likes on 7 Posts
Default This.

Quick Reply: Do all season tires exist on the 992 yet?