Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Height PASM vs SPASM

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021 | 07:39 PM
BMWMB
Instructor

Originally Posted by aggie57
C2S with SPASM: Front 70.5, rear 74. Facia to top of splitter, 21. 19/20” Spyder wheels with standard rubber and 32/41 psi cold.
C2S Coupé with SPASM: Front: 70, Rear 73, 20/21 Carrera S wheels on winter rubber GoodYear Untragrip.
Old 01-12-2021 | 09:13 PM
wasabi4
Instructor

Originally Posted by but did you die
I wish that was the case but nope...the rear sits lower than the front on this here 911. Here is the pic to see this baby in all her pre-runner glory!

I dunno...at this point I'm thinking that my FAL is not lowering completely and needs to be recalibrated (is that even possible?). Maybe need to bitch to my SA and have them check it out.
maybe it's the angle of the picture, but picture #2 shows the wheel/tire diameter to be a smidge over 27.5 (corresponding to a 21" diameter rear wheel) and your picture #1 shows the wheel/tire diameter to be 26.5 (corresponding to the 20" diameter front wheel).
ground to fender distance measures higher in the presumed rear wheel picture.

i take it there's no shipping blocks that are still in the suspension up front? Also, the FAL is supposed to lift 40mm, looks like yours lifts 20mm based on your measurements. Now, I'm not sure if the FAL lift is supposed to be measured at the front spoiler lip or fender.

*edit* I think the rear ground-to-fender distance is still taller, but since the rear wheel is larger by 1", one would expect a larger difference between front/rear ground-to-fender difference to be more than less than 1cm. so yeah, the suspension does seem raised a bit in the front

Last edited by wasabi4; 01-12-2021 at 09:35 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-12-2021 | 09:24 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BMWMB
C2S Coupé with SPASM: Front: 70, Rear 73, 20/21 Carrera S wheels on winter rubber GoodYear Untragrip.
Oops - my wheels are 20/21" too...typo
Old 01-13-2021 | 04:04 AM
Lee8084
Instructor

I wish that was the case but nope...the rear sits lower than the front on this here 911. Here is the pic to see this baby in all her pre-runner glory!

I dunno...at this point I'm thinking that my FAL is not lowering completely and needs to be recalibrated (is that even possible?). Maybe need to bitch to my SA and have them check it out.

i have no idea, but throwing it out there. Could it also be simple the weight distribution of the cab model with all the roof motors etc at the back as well?
Old 01-13-2021 | 01:04 PM
but did you die
Racer

Originally Posted by wasabi4
maybe it's the angle of the picture, but picture #2 shows the wheel/tire diameter to be a smidge over 27.5 (corresponding to a 21" diameter rear wheel) and your picture #1 shows the wheel/tire diameter to be 26.5 (corresponding to the 20" diameter front wheel).
ground to fender distance measures higher in the presumed rear wheel picture.

i take it there's no shipping blocks that are still in the suspension up front? Also, the FAL is supposed to lift 40mm, looks like yours lifts 20mm based on your measurements. Now, I'm not sure if the FAL lift is supposed to be measured at the front spoiler lip or fender.

*edit* I think the rear ground-to-fender distance is still taller, but since the rear wheel is larger by 1", one would expect a larger difference between front/rear ground-to-fender difference to be more than less than 1cm. so yeah, the suspension does seem raised a bit in the front
the 992 FAL system is quoted by Porsche to lift the vehicle 40mm as measured at the center of the front splitter to the ground (I need to test this still). I *did* measure the rise at the fender to be 0.875" when FAL is activated though. I've been discussing this my SA over the last day and he says to bring it in and they look it over. He said its possible the ride height sensor needs adjusting.
Old 01-13-2021 | 01:14 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

the 992 FAL system is quoted by Porsche to lift the vehicle 40mm as measured at the center of the front splitter to the ground (I need to test this still). I *did* measure the rise at the fender to be 0.875" when FAL is activated though. I've been discussing this my SA over the last day and he says to bring it in and they look it over. He said its possible the ride height sensor needs adjusting.
If it's supposed to go up 40mm (1.57") and it actually goes up only 0.875", it seems that it might not be going all the way down with when FAL is deactivated. Your rake definitely is not right and looks very odd.
The following users liked this post:
G650 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 01:33 PM
but did you die
Racer

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
If it's supposed to go up 40mm (1.57") and it actually goes up only 0.875", it seems that it might not be going all the way down with when FAL is deactivated. Your rake definitely is not right and looks very odd.
40mm at the front splitter (Porsches measurement) will not be 40mm at the wheel well...that's just geometry. It would be some value less than 40mm. I just have no idea if 0.875" (22mm) at the wheel well is insufficient...but I suspect it is.

I need to measure at the front splitter tonight to compare to Porsches numbers.
Old 01-13-2021 | 08:37 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

40mm at the front splitter (Porsches measurement) will not be 40mm at the wheel well...that's just geometry. It would be some value less than 40mm. I just have no idea if 0.875" (22mm) at the wheel well is insufficient...but I suspect it is.

I need to measure at the front splitter tonight to compare to Porsches numbers.
I would think that the lift at the front splitter would be very close to the rise at the wheel well--they're not that far apart to make a big difference in the geometry.
Old 01-19-2021 | 05:00 PM
Joepster75
Intermediate

Now that we have our rulers out, i would like to ask if somebody would mind measure the height of a fully deployed rear spoiler with SPASM suspension. My normal PASM height is approximately 19 cm, measured from the light bar up:

Last edited by Joepster75; 01-19-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2021 | 05:32 PM
but did you die
Racer

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
I would think that the lift at the front splitter would be very close to the rise at the wheel well--they're not that far apart to make a big difference in the geometry.
I measured the lift height at the front splitter and I'm definitely not getting the 40mm that Porsche cites in the owners manual for the FAL system. I'm only getting 25mm. That 15mm difference seems to be pretty close to the additional gap I have in the front wheel compared to other PASM cars I've seen. This reinforces the hypothesis that the FAL system is not completely lowering or returning to its default position resulting in my 911 having its nose up in the air even when FAL is lowered. I explained this data in detail with my SA and dropped the car off today at Porsche San Diego. Let's see what they find. I'll probably get the 'ol "everything looks normal to us!" BS but fingers crossed.

My SA did say that the 992 moved to a new electrohydraulic FAL system that is different from the 991 (faster in operation), but they have not heard of any issues with it *yet*
Old 01-20-2021 | 03:30 AM
Lee8084
Instructor

I measured the lift height at the front splitter and I'm definitely not getting the 40mm that Porsche cites in the owners manual for the FAL system. I'm only getting 25mm. That 15mm difference seems to be pretty close to the additional gap I have in the front wheel compared to other PASM cars I've seen. This reinforces the hypothesis that the FAL system is not completely lowering or returning to its default position resulting in my 911 having its nose up in the air even when FAL is lowered. I explained this data in detail with my SA and dropped the car off today at Porsche San Diego. Let's see what they find. I'll probably get the 'ol "everything looks normal to us!" BS but fingers crossed.

My SA did say that the 992 moved to a new electrohydraulic FAL system that is different from the 991 (faster in operation), but they have not heard of any issues with it *yet*
i hope they don’t and manage to fix this for you. Failing that I would ask to see if they have a car in stock with FAL and ask them to show you while your there. Sorry I can’t help, I didn’t order FAL as I don’t have any clearance issues.

please keep us updated.
Old 01-27-2021 | 04:52 AM
Joepster75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joepster75
Now that we have our rulers out, i would like to ask if somebody would mind measure the height of a fully deployed rear spoiler with SPASM suspension. My normal PASM height is approximately 19 cm, measured from the light bar up:
Still curious. Anyone wants to meisure the height of their deployed SPASM rear spoiler?
Old 01-27-2021 | 06:59 AM
Lee8084
Instructor

I am interested to see this also. I also read that there is a difference between those cars with a sunroof (basically slightly more angle to offset aerodynamics due to the sunroof. Would also be interesting to know if this is always or just when the roof is opened or tilted)

@but did you die how did you get on with Porsche?

Last edited by Lee8084; 01-27-2021 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-27-2021 | 07:46 AM
TheStanman
Racer

For those who say PASM wheel gap looks like an SUV, I question whether you have seen an SUV before.
Old 01-27-2021 | 12:07 PM
but did you die
Racer

Originally Posted by Joepster75
Still curious. Anyone wants to meisure the height of their deployed SPASM rear spoiler?
I'll measure the height of my **** for you this weekend. The things we do for strangers on the internet

Originally Posted by Lee8084
how did you get on with Porsche?
As expected...they said everything was fine and working as designed. They measured the FAL lift height of the front splitter and confirmed it was not yielding 40mm of travel. Their out here was the manual says "up to 40mm" so of course they said in certain circumstances it could be up to 40mm but not always. Mine consistently lifts 25-30mm. They also inspected the suspension and FAL system and took measurements of ride height and compared to other PASM cars they had on hand. They said right height is "within tolerance" and everything is nornal. The only good news was I got to drive around in a Taycan 4S for a couple days...that was fun!

Originally Posted by TheStanman
For those who say PASM wheel gap looks like an SUV, I question whether you have seen an SUV before.
For you good sir, I present exhibit A. You tell me...

The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (01-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Height PASM vs SPASM