Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iphone 12 holder

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 01:50 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Anyone have experience: good, bad or indifferent with the "ProClip" Cell Phone mounting bracket.
The picture below is from their website.
https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/d...11-series/2021

Old 01-06-2021, 02:56 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Arrow

Wow, this is nice. Subscribed for when it is released.

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
This is just as bad as the OEM Apple approach, reminds me of a taxi, uber, hire car. Why is everyone working on designs that just don't fit in the 992 industrial design?
Old 01-06-2021, 10:14 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by KCviper
With all the tech in our cars, I just keep my iPhone in my pocket. Seems like many want it visible and perhaps I am missing out on something???
I can't speak for others but it isn't a question of visibility for me, just storage. As I said, I don't like the phone in my pocket on long rides and was simply looking for a solution for storing the phone where I will not forget it in the car and have to go back for it. I know I can put it in the console, glove box or door pocket but want a more visible storage place for it.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:57 PM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Bigworm, does that charger still charge the phone even if the phone slides back and forth inside the console? I ordered a charger similar to that but it was too short (length) so the phone would be off the charger when I drive. Is that one long enough that the phone will still be charging even if it shifts around?
Old 01-06-2021, 01:52 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,058 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanqueray86
Bigworm, does that charger still charge the phone even if the phone slides back and forth inside the console? I ordered a charger similar to that but it was too short (length) so the phone would be off the charger when I drive. Is that one long enough that the phone will still be charging even if it shifts around?
Great question. I dont actually use it much so I dont know. 99.9% of the time its on my passenger seat connected to USB cable since I roll solo most of the time. I only use that for long road trips where the wife might be in the passenger seat. And those drives are typically long straight drives to our river house. But the few times I have used it, my phone seemed to stay put. But again, those are on long straight highways. Not around my town. Another thing... they charge slow.

Which brings me to another idea.... Why not just get a super short lighting cable? One could get this 6" lighting cable and just place the iphone in the cell phone placeholder in the center console. This would charge much faster than wireless. It could be used for direct connection to carplay for better quality. And it keeps the iphone out of site and safe. And it works even if it moves in the cubby.
I might get this and remove the wireless charger now that I found this short cable.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-06-2021, 01:57 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Anyone have experience: good, bad or indifferent with the "ProClip" Cell Phone mounting bracket.
The picture below is from their website.
https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/d...11-series/2021

That's hideous Blue. That mount kind of reminds of the 90's car phone mounts.

Old 01-06-2021, 03:35 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Why not just get a super short lighting cable? One could get this 6" lighting cable and just place the iphone in the cell phone placeholder in the center console. This would charge much faster than wireless. It could be used for direct connection to carplay for better quality. And it keeps the iphone out of site and safe. And it works even if it moves in the cubby.
I tried that. The challenge is that the Arm Rest Cubby is actually farther back than it looks. The result is that with a six inch cable it's actually a bit of a contortionists trick to plug the cable into the phone. Once the phone is connected it fits nicely in the cubby. FWIW, at my height, I have the seat all the way back. If you're anything under six foot . . . good luck, your reach will be just that much more of a challenge. One other thing I ran into; My garage door opener (TailWind) uses the proximity of my cell phone to both open on arrival and close after departure. Very nice! But, with the phone in the Cubby this system does not see the phone and thus does not function. (Don't even start with me about the non-homelink function in these cars.)
Old 01-06-2021, 04:18 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

I tried that. The challenge is that the Arm Rest Cubby is actually farther back than it looks. The result is that with a six inch cable it's actually a bit of a contortionists trick to plug the cable into the phone. Once the phone is connected it fits nicely in the cubby. FWIW, at my height, I have the seat all the way back. If you're anything under six foot . . . good luck, your reach will be just that much more of a challenge. One other thing I ran into; My garage door opener (TailWind) uses the proximity of my cell phone to both open on arrival and close after departure. Very nice! But, with the phone in the Cubby this system does not see the phone and thus does not function. (Don't even start with me about the non-homelink function in these cars.)

You sir have a very valid point. I forgot how much of a pain in the **** getting to those USB ports is from a sitting position. That makes a lot of sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by BIGWORM:
aggie57 (01-06-2021), Bluehighways (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 10:28 PM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 106 Posts

The result is that with a six inch cable it's actually a bit of a contortionists trick to plug the cable into the phone.
Exactly this. I feel like I’m going to break my back trying to plug in my phone.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:58 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Talking

Which brings me to another idea.... Why not just get a super short lighting cable? One could get this 6" lighting cable and just place the iphone in the cell phone placeholder in the center console. This would charge much faster than wireless. It could be used for direct connection to carplay for better quality. And it keeps the iphone out of site and safe. And it works even if it moves in the cubby.
3", if they can still be found, unfortunately discontinued.

4" from Anker 4" from Anker
, this I believe is the current shortest MFI cable easy to purchase on the market at the moment.

Quick Reply: iphone 12 holder