Sponsored by:

iphone 12 holder

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 07:00 PM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts
Default iphone 12 holder

anyone try any of the new magsafe magnetic holders with their iphone 12/pro on their 992? any recommendations?
Old 01-03-2021, 08:13 PM
KCviper
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I would be careful about this. I tried a similar setup in my C63 and it eventually broke the plastic air vent!! Now, I simply keep the phone in my pocket with wireless CarPlay!
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 08:17 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Originally Posted by KCviper
I would be careful about this. I tried a similar setup in my C63 and it eventually broke the plastic air vent!! Now, I simply keep the phone in my pocket with wireless CarPlay!
Agreed. Unless I am going on a particularly long adventure. It stays in my pocket.
A MagSafe charger would be nice to drop in the center console.,
aggie57 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 10:40 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by rumnyc
anyone try any of the new magsafe magnetic holders with their iphone 12/pro on their 992? any recommendations?
With wireless car play and the extended battery life of the 12 pro, it never has to leave my pocket.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:59 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by rumnyc
I don't like keeping my phone in my pocket and I don't like it in the center console because I forget it is there. The cupholder or storage cubby makes the phone bounce around. I don't need the phone to be accessible, simply want secure storage. I bought and tried the MagSafe vent mount by Belkin but ended up returning it. It held fine but, because of the shape of the mount and the shape of our vents, it doesn't fit particularly well. I ended up putting it on the left most vent but just didn't like it. Additionally, the mount is white and I didn't care for the look of it in my interior. I am waiting for a smaller MagSafe mount by another company but not due until March.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:32 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,058 Likes on 533 Posts

I keep it on the seat or on this inside my center cubby.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Bluehighways (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 01:56 PM
jbirdie6
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by michael818
I don't like keeping my phone in my pocket and I don't like it in the center console because I forget it is there. The cupholder or storage cubby makes the phone bounce around. I don't need the phone to be accessible, simply want secure storage. I bought and tried the MagSafe vent mount by Belkin but ended up returning it. It held fine but, because of the shape of the mount and the shape of our vents, it doesn't fit particularly well. I ended up putting it on the left most vent but just didn't like it. Additionally, the mount is white and I didn't care for the look of it in my interior. I am waiting for a smaller MagSafe mount by another company but not due until March.
Do you happen to have any pics of this in your car?
Old 01-04-2021, 03:23 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I bought one for my wife last August for the car she had then. It worked then in that car and it continues to work flawlessly on her nightstand now that her new car (BMW X5 4.5e) has one as standard equipment.
BIGWORM (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 10:22 PM
lkngshrp
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default This is what I did.

Bought a thin magnet and used command adhesive strips to affix it to the strip beside the shifter. Then plugged in the MagSafe charger to the 12v and hid the cable between the vent and centre console. Works like a charm

Old 01-05-2021, 12:02 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by lkngshrp
Bought a thin magnet and used command adhesive strips to affix it to the strip beside the shifter. Then plugged in the MagSafe charger to the 12v and hid the cable between the vent and centre console. Works like a charm
Apologies for being candid, but this made me cringe.
  • The beautiful design language of the 992 is just simply ruined. The cable is white, the main charging puck is white, the surround is brushed while the 992 interior is mostly piano black and grey.
  • No offense, the so called magsafe from Apple is just hogwash - the magnetic strength is weak and really not designed for high speed or high G driving. Push the car hard enough, drive over enough bad tarmac and the phone will definitely dislodge.
If a phone is to be mounted, then the only practical clean solution is the Magnum from T-Design9.
  • First and foremost, this magnet is proven to hold at speed and high Gs.
  • The color tones also match the 992 better.
  • The mount can be easily slotted anywhere, if not the magnet can be separated from the mount and just easily double sided anywhere.
  • Sure, this doesn't have wireless charging. But give it sufficient time, T-Design9 may come out with one for the 992.
  • Whatabout power now? Run a black braided lightning cable, tuck it under the center console and it will look alot more cleaner and integrated.
GJS NYC (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 12:05 AM
lkngshrp
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Funny you cringed

Originally Posted by NCheok
Apologies for being candid, but this made me cringe.
  • The beautiful design language of the 992 is just simply ruined. The cable is white, the main charging puck is white, the surround is brushed while the 992 interior is mostly piano black and grey.
  • No offense, the so called magsafe from Apple is just hogwash - the magnetic strength is weak and really not designed for high speed or high G driving. Push the car hard enough, drive over enough bad tarmac and the phone will definitely dislodge.
If a phone is to be mounted, then the only practical clean solution is the Magnum from T-Design9.
  • First and foremost, this magnet is proven to hold at speed and high Gs.
  • The color tones also match the 992 better.
  • The mount can be easily slotted anywhere, if not the magnet can be separated from the mount and just easily double sided anywhere.
  • Sure, this doesn't have wireless charging. But give it sufficient time, T-Design9 may come out with one for the 992.
  • Whatabout power now? Run a black braided lightning cable, tuck it under the center console and it will look alot more cleaner and integrated.
when the phone is on you can’t really see anything but that didn’t stop me from
finding an all black version of this which is on order and will be even less visible and still get the job done. What I like about this is that the MagSafe can be removed and the magnet underneath holds very well. Either way I’ve got something from zeerawireless.com coming in a day or 2.

That said, if I couldn’t find it in black I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. I happened to stumble over the black MagSafe (zebra) so I ordered it.

btw the MagSafe holds plenty strong without issue. When I’m at the track my phone is not mounted anyways and if it is it’s clipped to the windshield recording track videos.

Last edited by lkngshrp; 01-05-2021 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:34 PM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by jbirdie6
Do you happen to have any pics of this in your car?
sorry, I took no pictures and it was returned to Apple. It’s large, almost as large as the phone. On the center vents it can only be mounted horizontally. I just didn’t like the looks although it worked fine.

I am waiting in this one:

https://www.shopmoment.com/products/...t-for-magsafe/

Last edited by michael818; 01-05-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:51 PM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by michael818
sorry, I took no pictures and it was returned to Apple. It’s large, almost as large as the phone. On the center vents it can only be mounted horizontally. I just didn’t like the looks although it worked fine.

I am waiting in this one:

https://www.shopmoment.com/products/...t-for-magsafe/
I've been looking for a mount for my iPhone 12 and came across these same mounts from Moment. They are also making a basic surface mount that seems like it would be perfect mounted to the left or right of the PDK shifter on the black piano surface. Nice and clean and less of a chance of the phone falling off the vent mount or tweaking the vent plastic. https://www.shopmoment.com/products/...t-for-magsafe/

Not shipping until March though!
Old 01-05-2021, 09:29 PM
KCviper
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

With all the tech in our cars, I just keep my iPhone in my pocket. Seems like many want it visible and perhaps I am missing out on something???
Old 01-05-2021, 10:36 PM
kaylie
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 102 Posts

I got this from mous. Magnetic mount and magnets built into case. Works well with jarring ride

Quick Reply: iphone 12 holder