Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal sunroof issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021 | 03:05 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
The logic of cutting a hole in the middle of the roof of a perfectly good sports car totally escapes me.
true, that’s what they used to do but nowadays a non-sunroof car has exactly the same structure as one with a sunroof. The insert in that section is just different.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Nagy (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021 | 10:36 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
The video was very helpful-- thanks. Michael, you mentioned wind buffeting with the sunroof. Did you experience this with the side windows open or closed? I would think that an open sunroof with the windows open or cracked a little would produce no buffeting, but if I'm wrong about this, I'd take a pass on the sunroof.
The buffeting is more pronounced with the windows closed, however the noise from an open sunroof at highway speed is, to me, unpleasant. Cracking the sunroof without opening it all the way is fine and does put some air flow into the car without a lot of noise or buffeting. To me, it just isn't worth the expense for the limited use I make of it but that's very subjective.
Old 01-01-2021 | 07:17 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

991.1 with metal sunroof- never had any problem. It is too noisy for me when open at highway speeds. But, in good weather I use it, whenever I want open windows, to pop up the rear and get calm airflow with no buffeting whatever. That alone makes it worthwhile for me.

A few years ago, for fun, I made a set of deflectors similar to what came out from Blackmail and Awe. It- and they- are amazingly effective at reducing buffeting.
Old 01-01-2021 | 08:34 PM
guffdude
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
The logic of cutting a hole in the middle of the roof of a perfectly good sports car totally escapes me.
WOW. What do you say to someone that’s ordering a Cab?

I have metal. No issues at all. I use it around town but close it at highway speeds. I don’t prefer the aesthetics of the glass roof.
Old 01-03-2021 | 02:29 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guffdude
WOW. What do you say to someone that’s ordering a Cab?
Get a motorcycle
Old 01-03-2021 | 03:51 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Get a motorcycle
Age old answer to someone who asks after getting a sunroof in a Cayman....Boxster.
Old 01-03-2021 | 01:50 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
Thanks for the input-- very helpful. I'm opting for the metal sunroof over the glass because I think the dark glass messes up the lines of the car. For a black or dark gray car it isn't an issue, but I'm going with Gentian Blue, and I think the glass would disturb the unity of the roofline.
I agree with you 100% on the steel sunroof option. I had a steel sunroof on my white 911, looked great. Glass roof, not so much, but 99% of cars my dealer brings I have the glass sunroof. Ever look at Porsche promotional videos and pictures, almost all show the car without the glass roof - it just looks better, especially on light colour cars.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (01-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Metal sunroof issues