Sponsored by:

Lurching in 2nd gear PDK

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 05:47 AM
Lukey777
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharky114
Has anyone by any chance found a solution yet? Could it be a bad coil pack?
I took a video of mine. Same issue and only in 1st 2nd gear . I took mine in and they said they couldn’t repeat. I went in took the engineer for a drive to show him and it happened.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7424.MOV (713.4 KB, 99 views)
Old 08-03-2021, 09:39 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukey777
I took a video of mine. Same issue and only in 1st 2nd gear . I took mine in and they said they couldn’t repeat. I went in took the engineer for a drive to show him and it happened.

I’m real curious to find out what this is…keep us posted, and thx for the vid. If I had to guess, I don’t think it’s a tranny problem, but a fuel delivery issue?
Old 08-04-2021, 10:47 AM
Glerald
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I’m real curious to find out what this is…keep us posted, and thx for the vid. If I had to guess, I don’t think it’s a tranny problem, but a fuel delivery issue?
PLEASE keep us posted.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:06 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Glerald
it has largely stopped but when it goes in for routine it is on a small list of items for dealer to check. When I spoke with them they thought it could be a coding issue. It only happens in 2nd gear in sport mode between 2-3300 rpms and especially if road is bumpy. Almost the same as what happens when someone is learning to drive a stick. Weird. Let me know if you get any explanations. I will do same.

RE: “Only in 2nd gear, sports mode and on bumpy roads”

Does it happen on straight away, or more when takin g a tight curve with the accelerator floored? I wonder whether under hight torque situations, and uneven road conditions, whether it’s temporarily loosing grip and the traction control is throttling back until grip is re-established and then accelerates briefly again, etc…?
Old 08-04-2021, 11:45 AM
Glerald
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
RE: “Only in 2nd gear, sports mode and on bumpy roads”

Does it happen on straight away, or more when takin g a tight curve with the accelerator floored? I wonder whether under hight torque situations, and uneven road conditions, whether it’s temporarily loosing grip and the traction control is throttling back until grip is re-established and then accelerates briefly again, etc…?

Good question. Not so much on turns but uneven road conditions seem to cause it more often than not. Next time it goes to dealer I will take the service guy for a ride and see if I can get it to repeat. They will then probably say driver error.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:58 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Glerald
Good question. Not so much on turns but uneven road conditions seem to cause it more often than not. Next time it goes to dealer I will take the service guy for a ride and see if I can get it to repeat. They will then probably say driver error.
I don’t believe I have felt this on straight roads, but possibly experienced what you described when making a sharp turn (as in close to 90 degrees) on a rough road at close to full acceleration (was attempting to see how the car handled in a tight turn). It’s been a while now, but believe I had the “shutter” sensation you describe. Since I don’t experience it on a straight run, even under full acceleration (keeping it under 4-5K RPMs), I assumed one of the rear wheels temporarily lost some grip and then traction control throttled back the power a bit until traction was re-established….? Just a theory.

Let us know how you make out after your service…
Old 08-11-2021, 10:24 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Well this is interesting. I had this bucking happen a few months ago also. Transmission in sport, taking off through intersection and when hit 2nd gear. I’ve also had issue with when parking on an incline when going from fwd to reverse or visa versa it feels like a rookie trying to slip and engage the clutch. 2009 911 PDK so first gen.

Quick Reply: Lurching in 2nd gear PDK