This car is making me insane

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 06:51 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 819 Posts
Default This car is making me insane

Perhaps it’s because I’m a Porsche and a sports car newbie, but I can’t get enough of this car.

This thing is wicked fast. Sure there are always faster cars out there, but I’m having a blast. I love how it handles, I love how it looks. I’m sure I could get the same experience from a ‘Vette but this thing works for me (and it definitely draws attention)

My only pet peeve is finding good roads to drive on. So many delivery trucks and soccer moms everywhere. I press the pedal and I’m going 85 in a second, then a moment later 100, and I’m forced to slow down due to an upcoming minivan.

I guess it’s time to take this to the track.

Ode to the 911. Thank you, Porsche, for making this car!

Last edited by Tupper; 12-10-2020 at 06:52 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by Tupper:
911-heaven (12-10-2020), 997usa (12-10-2020), AG1 (12-10-2020), BOSSOB (12-12-2020), Carsten Doil (12-11-2020), dhirm5 (03-31-2021), dribar (12-11-2020), Greg Schenk (12-11-2020), paddlefoot64 (12-10-2020), rouxeny (12-11-2020), Todd C (12-11-2020) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

12-10-2020, 10:44 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Perhaps it’s because I’m a Porsche and a sports car newbie, but I can’t get enough of this car.

This thing is wicked fast. Sure there are always faster cars out there, but I’m having a blast. I love how it handles, I love how it looks. I’m sure I could get the same experience from a ‘Vette but this thing works for me (and it definitely draws attention)

My only pet peeve is finding good roads to drive on. So many delivery trucks and soccer moms everywhere. I press the pedal and I’m going 85 in a second, then a moment later 100, and I’m forced to slow down due to an upcoming minivan.

If you're driving on busy roads with delivery trucks and minivans, you're doing it wrong. Here are some suggestions... (no particular order)
  • Download the Roads app from Porsche (https://roads.porsche.com/en/) -- it's an app that crowdsources cool driving roads. Depending upon where you live in the country, it can be really helpful. It's a totally underappreciated app that can point you to some amazing experiences.
  • Find a local Cars and Coffee where you can meet other enthusiasts. It's a good way to meet people for group drives that can introduce you to some great roads.
  • Join the PCA and link up with your local chapter. I am a past BMWCCA member and currently a member of the PCA and AROC (Alfa owners). You can learn a lot from these orgs including track days, autocross events, rallies, and local meetups.
  • Facebook and Instagram can be useful to find local groups of owners. Often, something like the PCA can be a good starting point for Facebook groups. Instagram works a little differently, but I've learned of some amazing driving events strictly through the platform. Last year, I was on a drive organized by some car photography teenagers that ended up being a couple hundred cars and a total blast. Those kids managed to put together an event with millions of dollars worth of cars.
  • Explore on your own. Open Google Maps and get a map out. Each region has its own character. For example, almost every road in Pennsylvania with the word "mill" or "hill" in it is worth a drive. I grew up riding motorcycles through the Delaware and Hudson valleys. There is so much to be said for exploration.
  • Aside from South Florida, there are amazing roads all over the country. So far, my 992 has been through 14 states (PA, NJ, NY, DE, MD, WV, KY, TN, AR, OK, IL, OH, MI, IN). When the pandemic is over, I will hit all 48 and make the trip up to Alaska. Oh, if there's someone here in South Florida that can prove otherwise, I will gleefully check it out.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:24 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,408 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Your other thread seems to contradict this one. Just sayin...

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1226867-ecu-tuning.html
Old 12-10-2020, 07:29 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smiles11

I see why you say that. But I’m still having a blast
The following users liked this post:
997usa (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 07:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,954 Likes on 5,212 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11

That's cuz he wants to do it in 0.5 second.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:19 PM
Mrkhanna16
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

this is why i got the base ... more fun around town
The following 4 users liked this post by Mrkhanna16:
dribar (12-11-2020), FD9NY (12-11-2020), La Carrera (04-17-2021), Tupper (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 08:30 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mrkhanna16
Ive heard this more than once.

Glad you’re having such a good time
Old 12-10-2020, 09:43 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrkhanna16
I agree with you. I enjoyed driving the base a lot! Its power is matched well to the 992.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:44 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you're driving on busy roads with delivery trucks and minivans, you're doing it wrong. Here are some suggestions... (no particular order)
  • Download the Roads app from Porsche (https://roads.porsche.com/en/) -- it's an app that crowdsources cool driving roads. Depending upon where you live in the country, it can be really helpful. It's a totally underappreciated app that can point you to some amazing experiences.
  • Find a local Cars and Coffee where you can meet other enthusiasts. It's a good way to meet people for group drives that can introduce you to some great roads.
  • Join the PCA and link up with your local chapter. I am a past BMWCCA member and currently a member of the PCA and AROC (Alfa owners). You can learn a lot from these orgs including track days, autocross events, rallies, and local meetups.
  • Facebook and Instagram can be useful to find local groups of owners. Often, something like the PCA can be a good starting point for Facebook groups. Instagram works a little differently, but I've learned of some amazing driving events strictly through the platform. Last year, I was on a drive organized by some car photography teenagers that ended up being a couple hundred cars and a total blast. Those kids managed to put together an event with millions of dollars worth of cars.
  • Explore on your own. Open Google Maps and get a map out. Each region has its own character. For example, almost every road in Pennsylvania with the word "mill" or "hill" in it is worth a drive. I grew up riding motorcycles through the Delaware and Hudson valleys. There is so much to be said for exploration.
  • Aside from South Florida, there are amazing roads all over the country. So far, my 992 has been through 14 states (PA, NJ, NY, DE, MD, WV, KY, TN, AR, OK, IL, OH, MI, IN). When the pandemic is over, I will hit all 48 and make the trip up to Alaska. Oh, if there's someone here in South Florida that can prove otherwise, I will gleefully check it out.

The following 10 users liked this post by detansinn:
aggie57 (12-12-2020), gravedgr (12-12-2020), Helios59 (12-10-2020), lucycan (12-11-2020), Russian Mafia (03-30-2021), smiles11 (12-10-2020), Tupper (12-11-2020), undefinederror (12-11-2020), Wilsontour (12-11-2020), Zanotti (12-11-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:51 PM
Gables
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Unfortunately, while there are some scenic drives in South Florida with breathtaking views of the ocean and skyline, there aren't any winding backroads made for spirited driving. With that said, if you have a Cab putting the top down and driving on Old Cutler Road into The Grove and then Key Biscayne is awesome. You will not be able to push the car but you will see some amazing sights.

Last edited by Gables; 12-11-2020 at 11:22 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gables:
dashanin (12-11-2020), detansinn (12-11-2020), mobilis (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 01:02 AM
PJSD
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 60 Posts

Enjoy this wonderful car in good health. As someone who deals with traffic accidents and deaths everyday, I have to say save the car's potential for the track where lives are not at risk. You can't predict other drivers' conduct/behaviors on the road. On the track, you can really see what this car can do.
Tupper (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 06:24 AM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Gables
Unfortunately, while there are some scenic drives in South Florida with breathtaking views of the ocean and skyline, there aren't any winding backroads made for spirited driving. With that said, if you have a Cab putting the top down and driving on Old Cutler Road into The Grove and then Key Biscayne is awesome. You will not be able to push the car but you will see some amazing sites.
maybe a couple of cool pics on 7–mile bridge?
detansinn (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 08:25 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gables
Unfortunately, while there are some scenic drives in South Florida with breathtaking views of the ocean and skyline, there aren't any winding backroads made for spirited driving. With that said, if you have a Cab putting the top down and driving on Old Cutler Road into The Grove and then Key Biscayne is awesome. You will not be able to push the car but you will see some amazing sites.
I have done that drive in a Hertz Mustang convertible. Agreed on sights.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:28 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJSD
Enjoy this wonderful car in good health. As someone who deals with traffic accidents and deaths everyday, I have to say save the car's potential for the track where lives are not at risk. You can't predict other drivers' conduct/behaviors on the road. On the track, you can really see what this car can do.
True, I only floor it or drive aggressively when there are no cars around, or when I’m way behind them.

let’s admit it, I’m sure we all do a bit of that
Old 12-12-2020, 11:25 AM
BOSSOB
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PJSD
A perfect comprise is to attend the PCA’s Driver Education Events. Newbies have ride along instructors and as you move up the ranks you placed with other drivers of the same caliber. In other words you can drive as fast as your own skill set allows in a controlled environment. Not to be confused with racing, but tons of fun.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:19 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by dribar
maybe a couple of cool pics on 7–mile bridge?
Key West in a cab would be cool. Have done that in a rental, down and back overnight. Seeing the actual boat from the African Queen movie at Key Largo was a good surprise too. Plenty to see in Florida.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
detansinn (12-12-2020), dribar (04-04-2021)

Quick Reply: This car is making me insane