Sponsored by:

Automobile Magazine MT vs PDK Aticle

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 05:20 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Can you explain to me how a PDK is more "complex" than the 7MT?

PAG uses the same mechanical base for the PDK and the 7MT, with the only difference being software.

If anything, the 7MT is actually more complex because PAG had to make the shift pattern in the 7MT intuitive and more traditional.
Wait, you're saying managing two paddles, rev limiting, intuitive shift patterns for auto mode, etc., etc. is more complex than finding a way to have a non-traditional gear allocation on an automated clutch tranny marry a manual shifter with a traditional shift pattern? With a straight face?

I defy you to find a single Porsche employee who said the 7MT is more complex than the PDK. Ever.

Last edited by gravedgr; 12-10-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:49 PM
Rare9
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts

Since both are using the same base gearbox, I'm curious what did they remove to make the manual 35kgs lighter. Software only doesn't weigh that much
Old 12-10-2020, 06:28 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Wait, you're saying managing two paddles, rev limiting, intuitive shift patterns for auto mode, etc., etc. is more complex than finding a way to have a non-traditional gear allocation on an automated clutch tranny marry a manual shifter with a traditional shift pattern? With a straight face?
Given the choice between a pair of wet clutches controlled with hydraulic actuators that are tightly integrated with the system, tested and refined exhaustively for years under all sorts of conditions, and the complexity of the MECOSA system with its additional pedal, hydraulic plumbing, single dry clutch and throwout bearing, and other ad-hoc hardware, the PDK is indeed going to be simpler and less trouble-prone in the long run.

Not saying one is better or more manly than the other, just saying that it's a mistake to buy a manual under the notion that it will somehow be simpler or more inherently reliable than the automatic PDK. The manual on these cars is literally a hack job. Not a value judgement, just a simple statement of fact.

Originally Posted by norberts
Since both are using the same base gearbox, I'm curious what did they remove to make the manual 35kgs lighter. Software only doesn't weigh that much
Aren't they sticking with the previous-generation 7-speed gearbox for manual cars? I'm not sure I ever heard the straight story on that.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 12-10-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,684 Likes on 5,113 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr

I defy you to find a single Porsche employee who said the 7MT is more complex than the PDK. Ever.
No, I am saying the mechanical layout and construction of the 7MT is more complex.

I am not taking a position on this thread which transmission (PDK or MT) is more complex to operate.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,684 Likes on 5,113 Posts

Originally Posted by norberts
Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Aren't they sticking with the previous-generation 7-speed gearbox for manual cars? I'm not sure I ever heard the straight story on that.
The 7MT in the 992 is an evolution of the 7MT in the 991.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar186918.html
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:05 PM
510michael
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 73 Posts

I also miss the gear lever shifting for the PDK. My 991.1 GT3 was always shifted like this. Loved it.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:04 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,244 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
Can you imagine how difficult it will be to find something like air bag sensors for our cars 30, 40 or 50 years from now?
Anyone buying new cars today based on air bag sensor availability 30+ years down the road should seriously consider public transportation.

Far less stressful...
SamD (12-11-2020)
Old 01-05-2021, 06:45 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
Yes. It's actually pretty easy once you get the necessary muscle memory established in your feet. And, as I found out when I picked up my new Cayman after a twenty year MT gap, you don't forget how once you learn. And you get the bonus of a millennial theft deterrent.
Yes I learned to drive a manual from jump street...first 3 cars were all manuals so they are just so familiar to me. Its like riding a bike as they say and true you do limit the theft/abuse potential so to speak as the number out there and people who can drive them is dropping.
Originally Posted by flsupraguy
+1 and this why I choose manual nearly every time
Yep...agree...I spec'd a 2014 981 Cayman S w/6spd manual also for similar reasons. Drivers car=manual in that particular build.
Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I have a MT 992, I like it cause it is old school - not looking to go fast.. Just enjoyment of years gone by.

The center stick shift was a waste (My 991 center shift, I did not ever use it, waste of space IMO), as paddles are much better for PDK and can be enjoyed. I have paddle shift in two of my other fun cars (and no center console shifter), and wouldn't trade them...but different purpose, I wanted fast. But with 700+ HP, manual is a death sentence (for me or for the transmission or both). Thus also not available in the Turbo or TurboS.

Each car and set up has it's advantages and disadvantages with manual or PDK. The consensus is that most, and shortly all, will not want the MT's. I am glad porsche still offers it. There are few that do. My Jeep is also MT. Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, etc. have all done away with MT for good. Soon porsche will too, as only 10-15% are buying MTs any longer - and there are not really any advantages, except for novelty and nostalgia. Enjoy it while you can...

I will say, if they offered a MT in the base, I would have opted for that over the C4S..
Yes sad they won't bring the manual to the base 992 as it was an easy choice there and oh the options could have added with the extra coinage. However I wanted a driver's designed car thus the upgrade to the 992 S and extra $$ just to get the manual! Glad I did...at some point agree though Porsche will just stop or make it like PTS and an exclusive option ($10k) which will ultimately kill the 7sp MT.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:06 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't think any one here will change their opinion based on any article or performance numbers....
SamD (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 10:45 PM
msile
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rumnyc
I don't think any one here will change their opinion based on any article or performance numbers....
+1
Why is it so hard to explain that the best transmission is the one that you pick.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:09 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Meh. I like both.

Quick Reply: Automobile Magazine MT vs PDK Aticle