Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20 Sec Boost Button MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 01:22 PM
Rare9
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts

Yeah I don't get why people who bought PDK need to bash the people who want to stick with manual.... some kind of psychological self justification? I can't see any other reason.
The following users liked this post:
JustChris (01-20-2021)
Old 11-30-2020, 01:36 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
This endless bashing of manual transmissions has long since got boring. Time to move on.
Not bashing; merely offering a view that if a 20-second power button equals "control" then other switches that change some aspect of the machine parameters would logically fall into the same category. Defining what "control" actually means with respect to man-machine interfaces and vehicle UI/UX is a much larger disussion than manual versus PDK.

At any rate, I think there's zero chance of closing out the manual versus PDK, turbo versus NA, flat-6 versus flat-4 debates; eternal back-and-forth on these topics and other brand minutiae is what Rennlist is all about.
detansinn (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 02:03 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by norberts
Yeah I don't get why people who bought PDK need to bash the people who want to stick with manual.... some kind of psychological self justification? I can't see any other reason.
Perhaps a thicker skin is called for. There is something known as a joke. That being said if you look through the various threads I think it is the MT cadre that seem a lot more judgmental that the only true Porsche experience is with a MT. Reality is that each to their own. I for one can deftly handle an MT but have chosen to move to PDK. I need absolutely no justification either to myself or to anyone else and am more than happy with my choice. A few days ago I was commenting on the fact that as it pertains to specking a car I had made a drivers car with largely limiting my options to SC, PSE and 4 way SSP and immediately one of the MT crew jumped in with "A drivers car would be an MT"

smiles11 (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 02:07 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

This endless bashing of manual transmissions has long since got boring. Time to move on.
indeed, everyone has their own preference.
let’s accept that reality and leave it at that.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:09 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
Perhaps a thicker skin is called for. There is something known as a joke. That being said if you look through the various threads I think it is the MT cadre that seem a lot more judgmental that the only true Porsche experience is with a MT. Reality is that each to their own. I for one can deftly handle an MT but have chosen to move to PDK. I need absolutely no justification either to myself or to anyone else and am more than happy with my choice. A few days ago I was commenting on the fact that as it pertains to specking a car I had made a drivers car with largely limiting my options to SC, PSE and 4 way SSP and immediately one of the MT crew jumped in with "A drivers car would be an MT"
A joke is funny the first time, maybe even a 2nd time. After that nope, it's just boring - thick skin or not. But I agree it goes both ways.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:33 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Then wouldn’t having two levers on the steering wheel allowing switching up and down gears in milliseconds without the unnecessary delay of depressing a clutch and moving a lever also qualify as higher-level “control”? There is no justification for a manual gearbox other than “I want one.” Which is fine. I sometimes want one, too, but I realize it’s because I’m a boomer who always equated manuals with performance cars, not because it gives me more “control” or somehow elevates the driver-car connection.
Sure. Which is why MT aficionados aren't doing it for the control. That's some PDK lover who doesn't get it trying to put their spin on it. Why? Not sure - need to feel superior maybe?

I like MT for the joy of shifting. It makes me feel more "one with the car", if you can even have that these days with all the computers. Manual steering, manual braking, manual shifting and manual clutching - I would take all of these if I could, in a car with modern infotainment, modern engine, modern suspension and modern tire technology. Porsche has taken away most of the manual stuff because fewer and fewer buyers demand it. No one argues a computer can't do many/most things faster/more efficiently and, when it comes to pure numbers, "better". But it does take a lot away from the driving experience from those who don't want "better".

The same argument came up when CD's replaced vinyl. Analog people felt (and many still do) that digital sound can never replace the soul of vinyl recordings. MT lovers feel the same way about PDK.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:12 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
The same argument came up when CD's replaced vinyl. Analog people felt (and many still do) that digital sound can never replace the soul of vinyl recordings. MT lovers feel the same way about PDK.
Not sure I've seen this analogy for MT vs. PDK. Funny because I get it w.r.t. vinyl vs. digital music, but I'm a PDK guy in the car :-)
Old 11-30-2020, 11:24 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Not sure I've seen this analogy for MT vs. PDK. Funny because I get it w.r.t. vinyl vs. digital music, but I'm a PDK guy in the car :-)
And vinyl outsells CD’s now. Not sure manual will ever outsell auto’s again though....
Old 11-30-2020, 11:42 PM
AG1
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

It's funny to watch the back and forth regarding PDK or manual. You will never convince each other. For me, it's always the manual. Soon it will not be available and that's too bad. I don't care about 0-60 times, launch control, 20 second boost. I care about that manual down shift going into a corner and full throttle out. I care about the feel of the shifter slipping into gear as you floor it and you're pushed into the seat until redline. PDK or manual, enjoy you 911!
Iceman23 (11-30-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 12:12 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Mine is a PDK; but I’m a MT man at heart. Drive 90% in manual mode.

The only reason I go PDK is for my bi-annual DE/track day. Anyone that hasn’t tracked their 911 at least once. Shame on you 😋
aggie57 (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 12:46 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Yes, yea, yea. All you Luddites who sing the praises of a Manual Transmission. You won't be happy until you can get cars with: Centrifugal Spark Advance, Carburetors, Mechanical Fuel Pumps, Wire Screen Fuel Filters, By-pass Oil Filtration, 6 Volt Electrical Systems with Generators and adjustable Vibrating Contact Voltage Regulators, 15 foot long Tachometer Cables, Similar Speedometer Cables driven off the Bearing Cap on the Front Wheel, Hand Crank Windows (and Wing Windows), No Air Conditioning, Rear Swing Axles with the "Optional" Camber Compensator, King & Link Pin Front Suspensions, Hand Crank Starting, Hamster Breath Heaters, Wooden Foot Boards, with Worm and Sector unequal Length Tie Rod Steering. If that's your Porsche, go buy a 356. Otherwise . . . . .
smiles11 (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 12:56 AM
AG1
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Dammit! I missed the Hamster Breath Heaters.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPGUWW8

Old 12-01-2020, 01:20 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

Originally Posted by norberts
Because the MT people endlessly bash the PDK people

Originally Posted by craig66
Preach, brother. Preach.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:51 AM
wasabi4
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Let's face it. We are here because we are all Porsche fans. Just like fans of anything, opinions differ. Some people say a perfect steak should be cooked until medium rare, some like rare, etc. There's no right or wrong because in the end, it only matters to the one who is enjoying their steak.

The beauty is we still have a choice for now and still get to choose MT vs PDK; RAS vs front wheel steer; PCCB vs conventional brakes; etc. In the end, we get to pick what we envision our individual perfect car to be!

I hope the day that Porsche becomes all electric is far far away. It will forever end PDK vs MT for new car sales and take away, for some, their own slice of heaven in driving a proper P-car.

BTW. Medium rare is the only way to have a steak.
Kcposche25 (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 03:47 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Because the MT people endlessly bash the PDK people

Preach, brother. Preach.
Sure, whatever floats your boat.

Quick Reply: 20 Sec Boost Button MT