Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which dash cam did you get for your 992?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 11:41 AM
NorthRoad
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone had a dash cam stolen, or are they concerned about that? I am looking to install a dash cam, mostly for park mode because my last C4S was keyed and, once, literally gouged. 😖 We also have a current run of cat thefts in our city. Do people remove their DC when parked away from home? And has this influenced P-car owners decision to buy a DC?
Old 12-04-2020, 12:08 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

Personally, after having one in my previous 911 and my other daily drivers, I couldn’t care less about the “parking mode”. I don’t ever see me parking the 911 anywhere for extended periods anyway, so I’m not that concerned with that as much as I’m about accidents and such. I ran the wires in my previous 991.2 without even removing any panel portions until I got to the fuse box, and you couldn’t see any wires. Hopefully this 992 will be a similar story. The fact that is a cabrio may just make it much easier. Also, it’s not 300F in the shade in FL now, so I won’t have to loose 12 gal of sweat doing it!
The following users liked this post:
NorthRoad (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 12:39 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Just another thread for reference and some more detail.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1221...-dash-cam.html
The following users liked this post:
NorthRoad (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 12:44 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

I had the blackvue 4K and while it worked, it would drain my battery even with the power magic pro set to the quickest turn off point. I have since switched to the garmin Mini which I like a lot more. Its much much easier to use and get videos off.

The Garmin mini hides behind my rear view mirror very well. People get in the car and dont see it at all. Mine caught a dealer porter taking my car for a 1hr joyride! All because of its stealthy small size not being seen. It also runs off USB power and comes with a USB cig adapter with 2 USB ports. One for the camera and one for whatever you want (I keep an iphone wire in it for passenger use). The front passenger cig port keeps power to the camera for about 20-30 minutes after I turn the car off. If I need it to record for hours and hours on end, then I plug the cameras USB power cable that is plugged into the cig port under the glove box into a USB power cell I have in the glove box. That works for me because I don't typically leave my 911 parked anywhere for more than an hour or two.

The other Garmin dash cam models are bigger, but some of them come with a battery back up built into the camera. I had one of those too. But I wanted the smallest camera size so I went to a mini.

The mini is so easy to install too. The USB power wire it comes with is very thin. Mine runs along he font window wedged in by hand inside the headliner. Then it runs down the black rubber down the A pillar, then down to the fuse box cover. Then I pulled the passenger foot well carpet back and tossed the excess wire behind that. And simply plugged the USB cig adapter they give you into the lower glove box port. You see no wires at all and it literally takes 5 minutes to install this camera.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 12-04-2020 at 12:51 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by BIGWORM:
Bluehighways (12-04-2020), F1Fan2010 (07-15-2022), GermanInOhio (12-04-2020), mdrobc1213 (12-05-2020), NorthRoad (12-04-2020), timjab (09-20-2021), tourenwagen (01-06-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-04-2020, 01:16 PM
NorthRoad
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
Just another thread for reference and some more detail.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1221...-dash-cam.html
I reviewed that useful thread. I’m considering the Thinkware U1000 2 ch. Maybe with the radar to save battery during park mode - then external battery unnecessary(?). It looks a little busy around the rear view mirror. But, hopefully more of a theft deterrent than magnet!
Old 01-06-2022, 03:54 PM
TR772
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts

How many of you that have dash cams, got a rear one as well ? Is that necessary or is the front enough ? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:06 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,396 Likes on 1,200 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I had the blackvue 4K and while it worked, it would drain my battery even with the power magic pro set to the quickest turn off point. I have since switched to the garmin Mini which I like a lot more. Its much much easier to use and get videos off.

The Garmin mini hides behind my rear view mirror very well. People get in the car and dont see it at all. Mine caught a dealer porter taking my car for a 1hr joyride! All because of its stealthy small size not being seen. It also runs off USB power and comes with a USB cig adapter with 2 USB ports. One for the camera and one for whatever you want (I keep an iphone wire in it for passenger use). The front passenger cig port keeps power to the camera for about 20-30 minutes after I turn the car off. If I need it to record for hours and hours on end, then I plug the cameras USB power cable that is plugged into the cig port under the glove box into a USB power cell I have in the glove box. That works for me because I don't typically leave my 911 parked anywhere for more than an hour or two.

The other Garmin dash cam models are bigger, but some of them come with a battery back up built into the camera. I had one of those too. But I wanted the smallest camera size so I went to a mini.

The mini is so easy to install too. The USB power wire it comes with is very thin. Mine runs along he font window wedged in by hand inside the headliner. Then it runs down the black rubber down the A pillar, then down to the fuse box cover. Then I pulled the passenger foot well carpet back and tossed the excess wire behind that. And simply plugged the USB cig adapter they give you into the lower glove box port. You see no wires at all and it literally takes 5 minutes to install this camera.
Same spot as my garmin mini :-)
Old 01-06-2022, 09:14 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad911
Can work for ya; can also work against ya!
^^^This! I tell this to people I encounter when I respond to their traffic collisions and begin my investigation into determining fault. The TESLA drivers get eaten alive by their dash cam footage.
The following 2 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
detansinn (01-07-2022), icanthelpit (01-07-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 10:43 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
^^^This! I tell this to people I encounter when I respond to their traffic collisions and begin my investigation into determining fault. The TESLA drivers get eaten alive by their dash cam footage.
A lot of people think they're the safest driver in the world and that their dash cam will only record other people at fault.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:19 AM
Fcassells
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 93 Posts

Another Garmin Mini fan here. I've put one of those tiny buggers in my family's fleet. This month alone it paid for itself with its perfect clarity and great nighttime image in its recording a woman running a 4 way stop hitting my kid in our i3... the video showed him 100% innocent .

Old 01-07-2022, 04:03 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by TR772
How many of you that have dash cams, got a rear one as well ? Is that necessary or is the front enough ? Thanks.
Car has front AND a rear so yeah have BOTH in my 992...and had same in my RS5 Sportback before I sold it. Have one to put in my BMW M3 coupe and will likely add one to my inbound Taycan CT when it arrives. Liked them so much and enjoy the safety and comfort from hit and run and other types of stuff done to my cars that I put one in my son's BMW 428ix also. Small investment to save you a great bit of pain and some $$ and if you don't drive like an azz/knucklehead then should be okay.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:49 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Assuming you work as a LEO - thank you for your service!
Disclaimer: Not trying to brown nose in case you pull me over
Old 01-07-2022, 12:59 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 784 Posts

I have BalckVue 900 2-ch, 4k front and 2k rear. Have it set up with Power magic Pro to run 12 hours in parking mode, and no issues except once while detailing car with music running for a couple of hours and then into parking mode, the Lithium battery went into "sleep" mode.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:55 PM
fairhill57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche OEM Dash Cam Availability in the US

I received the email below regarding an OEM Dash Cam and hoping to get it factory installed when I receive my forthcoming allocation. I hope this info helps.

Dear Mr. Brown,

Thank you for your e-mail to the Press Department of Porsche AG, which has been forwarded to us as the department responsible for customer requests.

We are delighted to hear that you placed an order demand for the iconic Porsche 911 Targa 4S and understand that you are interested in the Porsche dashcam offered by Porsche Tequipment.

As shown within the provided link, the dashcam is already available in the US market under the part number: 9Y0 044 930.

https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/...2586460068E215

Our recommendation in general for you is: Please stay in touch with your responsible Porsche Centre directly. Here you can find out everything about future models, exclusive limited-edition vehicles or technical innovations that will advance the idea of the perfect sports car. Additionally, we are sure that they will assist you in the best possible way in regards to your inquiry

We hope that our feedback could provide more transparency to your questions and would be very happy to welcome you soon in the Porsche family.

Best regards from Zuffenhausen

i.A. Matthias Murkisch i.A. Nazif Kayan

Customer Interaction

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Porscheplatz 1
70435 Stuttgart

Germany

E-Mail customer.commitment@porsche.de

www.porsche.de
Old 12-17-2022, 12:00 PM
Arroqueno
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 52 Posts

Bumping an old thread to avoid creating a new one.

How are y'all wiring your dash cams to hide the cables while preventing interference with the airbags?

Quick Reply: Which dash cam did you get for your 992?